Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark pallister

Got lost a couple or times but a very interesting Xc route

Attachments

• 2E40C17F-D244-43D6-99BF-0FACB949AABE.jpeg
    2E40C17F-D244-43D6-99BF-0FACB949AABE.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 7CC7707D-A5FD-46EE-A832-06FD24472999.jpeg
    7CC7707D-A5FD-46EE-A832-06FD24472999.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 3
  • A920EE7F-DAAD-4A52-AB50-C97E2DED97E0.jpeg
    A920EE7F-DAAD-4A52-AB50-C97E2DED97E0.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 628EE676-7665-4173-A88E-6899C4C21954.jpeg
    628EE676-7665-4173-A88E-6899C4C21954.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 3
  • D18ED2E5-A8D7-4D49-B96E-879BE527DD8F.jpeg
    D18ED2E5-A8D7-4D49-B96E-879BE527DD8F.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 986CAACF-54FD-4DC0-96B7-9B8960C75B88.jpeg
    986CAACF-54FD-4DC0-96B7-9B8960C75B88.jpeg
    418.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 8E42DF91-BAC3-41A5-AFE9-7CAA83808CDA.jpeg
    8E42DF91-BAC3-41A5-AFE9-7CAA83808CDA.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 3

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Two rides of sorts today.

yesterday I bought a sea kayak on eBay. This morning I paddled around the back of the Mew Stone. Probably about 7 miles in total and as I’ve not been in a boat for a few years it was quite interesting.......

After a bit of lunch I went out on my bike. Not too far, just coming up 20 miles. It was all ver good until a dozy tourist nearly killed me pulling out of a junction without looking.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3751775564

Attachments

• D71FB4C9-893F-48DB-B591-98E33F5376F9.jpeg
    D71FB4C9-893F-48DB-B591-98E33F5376F9.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 3

geocycle

Legendary Member
Just returned from an eventful short ride in the sun with my daughter. From the moment we set off my bike started making random cracking/pinging noises similar to metal under stress such as a spoke. I had a quick look and squeeze of the spokes but couldn't see anything obvious so I put it down to a possible lack of lube from when I hosed it down following a muddy bridalway outing the other day. I was careful but you can never be certain where water will end up. Anyway, when we reached our intended stopping point I decided to open/tighten & re-close my rear wheel QR skewer as that was a possible source of the noise. However, the noise continued on the return journey right up to the point when the end of the skewer sheared off with a loud snap and my wheel immediately moved to the side and brought me to a stop as it rubbed against the rear triangle. The journey ended with my bike and daughter in my wife's car and me riding the last few miles home on a very small Mtb! Anybody had that happen before? A skewer is definitely not a spare that I would ever think to carry. Do you think I have just been unlucky or could something more serious be to blame?

Yes, that happened to me once on tour. It was definitely user error. I was in the Northumberland hills above Newcastle when I punctured the rear tyre. I fixed the puncture but overtightened the skewer and it snapped. It was a pit lock security skewer and I’d slipped an Allen key through the bolt for leverage. I was completely on my own so I had no choice but to try and ride. Fortunately the rohloff axle sits in a vertical dropout and small wobbles will not cause gear changes. I disconnected the brake and rolled very slowly 25 miles into Newcastle where I found a Halfords!

C R

Guru
I've been riding, but a bit busy to post, so first ride report in a while.

I worked out a route taking in known places and some new ones, aiming for about 45 miles.

Out at around 6:40, glorious sunshine, but a bit cool in the shade. Out via Littleworth and Wadborough heading to Pershore, no traffic on the roads, but already a couple of other cyclists out.

After Pershore I headed for Elmley Castle. I know this route well, but this is the first time I've done it this way, so a bit slower than usual, as it is up hill in this direction. After Elmley headed for Hinton on the Green for a short incursion into Gloucestershire, and then turn towards Evesham at the A46, and back to Worcestershire. It was only a couple of miles to the Cheltenham road roundabout, but it was enough of the A road traffic, even at this early hour.

Got quickly to the Avon crossing, and then the gradual ascent out of the vale through the town, which was really quiet, with the cars easily outnumbered by the dog walkers and the cyclists. Reaching the the top of the hill a car started overtaking just as we entered a freshly dressed section of road, which made for some interesting adjustments in the car steering, we both managed to negotiate the sudden change of surface, and I took this part of the route rather carefully.

Over the A44, heading for Norton the surface was much better, an progress was steady, slowly gaining height heading to Cookhill, and an incursion into Warwickshire. Stopped at Weethley church for a photo and a breather.
IMG_20200712_082145214_HDR.jpg

Had a short chat with a walker about the history of the church. Due to the shape of the bell tower I expected it to be rather old, but it turns out it was rebuilt in the 18th century, in a mish mash of styles.

So now with most of the climbing, such as it was going to be, out of the way, I set off, now heading for Inkberrow, and back again in Worcestershire.

Just before Inkberrow I took Earls Common Road, aiming for Phepson, and avoiding the busier road. Several groups of cyclists came the other way, and the ride continued uneventful until I reached the ford. There's no walkway in here, so I thought I would try to ride through to keep my feet dry, as it was only about 15 cm deep. Unfortunately, as soon as my rear wheel entered the water it went sideways, and I hit the deck, so instead of just wet feet I was now fully wet all over. Luckily, neither me nor the bike suffered any noticeable damage, so picked myself and the bike up, walked out of the stream, and carried on with my ride.

I dried fairly quickly, what with the sunshine and the wind of the ride, but my feet remained wet. The rest of the ride through Phepson, Dunhampstead, and then towards the Hospital, and through the County hall site was uneventful, and made it home with just over 44 miles under my belt, and a lesson learnt.

The map

IMG_20200712_212427.jpg

Shropshire65LW

Two rides of sorts today.

yesterday I bought a sea kayak on eBay. This morning I paddled around the back of the Mew Stone. Probably about 7 miles in total and as I’ve not been in a boat for a few years it was quite interesting.......
View attachment 535588

View attachment 535589

After a bit of lunch I went out on my bike. Not too far, just coming up 20 miles. It was all ver good until a dozy tourist nearly killed me pulling out of a junction without looking.
View attachment 535590
https://www.strava.com/activities/3751775564
Fantastic I’ve been thinking the same I do miss my kayaking days in my 20s30s wow,that seams so long ago
was enjoyable on the water , wish I was a bit closer to the sea

Mike_P

Guru
It was time the Defy had an outing and it was probably the tyres having been freshly pumped up that resulted in a best time this year on the short climb on the A59. Into KIllinghall TTLs were in place and having just changed to red I turned down Crag Lane to avoid a lengthy wait. At first a residential street it narrows and narrows until it’s a single vehicle width with no verge of any note and an S bend included as well. Thankfully did not meet anything.

Onto the A61 bypassing Ripley and then turned off through Nidd to join the B6165 for a new PR on the appropriately named Wee Hill.

Scotton, Farnham, Ferrensby, and Arkendale passed by as I reached Great Ouseburn, 16 miles and only a dozen cyclists seen and time for a snack on a bench by the village green. Then over Aldwarke Toll Bridge, still rattling with bouncing boards despite its essential repairs. The object of the ride was the ABC “Y” of Youlton, nearly missed the village nameboard it was that obscured.

So the ABC challenge completed on the basis X and Z are impossible, and looks like I timed it just right as signs were up for surface dressing starting tomorrow. Then headed down to Newton on Ouse and Linton on Ouse; the latter best known for its RAF airfield albeit now unused.

Then back to the Toll Bridge which took some time to get onto due to car with a caravan seeming to have difficulty vacating and clearly not to the amusement of the cyclist who was following behind.

After another snack on the bench by Little Ouseburns isolated church, went through the village to join the B6265 southwards before turning off to Whixley where once again the Wahoo got the route through the mazy village. Across the A59 onto a narrow lane in relatively poor condition to a kissing gate controlled crossing of the Knaresborough-York railway line.

The limited vehicular use of the crossing was evident by a near perfect road surface beyond until field accesses occurred after which the condition deteriorated to the point that it had obviously been noted by the highway authority as a sign at the end advised of its closure this coming Tuesday.
Looped round towards Knaresborough but followed the A658 bypass, then down to and up from Calcutt where an hour after the last snack I spied just beyond the top of the climb an ideally located roadside bench. Continuing south west the next climb had set of TTLs at the top which nicely stayed on green and onto home where the total mileage turned out to be 49.25miles, not much better as 79.26km. 2034ft climbed. 14.5mph avg.

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
I would say you've been lucky. Very lucky. :smile:
It might have gone on a fast down hill corner.:eek:
I think you're right as I had just gone down a 10% gradient and was just trundling along at about 10mph up the other side when it went. A mechanical of any sort (even a puncture) always knocks my confidence for the next few rides as I'm always expecting a repeat. I snapped a chain 'under load' once and the fine collection of bruises that I collected in the process had me a nervous wreck for months :sad:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Yes, that happened to me once on tour. It was definitely user error. I was in the Northumberland hills above Newcastle when I punctured the rear tyre. I fixed the puncture but overtightened the skewer and it snapped. It was a pit lock security skewer and I’d slipped an Allen key through the bolt for leverage. I was completely on my own so I had no choice but to try and ride. Fortunately the rohloff axle sits in a vertical dropout and small wobbles will not cause gear changes. I disconnected the brake and rolled very slowly 25 miles into Newcastle where I found a Halfords!
Unfortunately mine sheared on the inside on the rear triangle and there was just not enough left for me to use. I'm wondering if the sudden cracking/pinging noises were related ag all but, I suppose I'll soon find out when I replace it. You are probably right about user error but I'm usually careful not to over tighten them for that very reason. Too many Shredded Wheat for breakfast maybe :blush:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So the ABC challenge completed on the basis X and Z are impossible
You may be right about 'X', but not about 'Z'. I remember at least one 'Z' from past rides...

As for my ride today... I have only been doing short solo rides since February (and I'll carry on keeping away from you potential lurgy carriers for now!) but it is time for me to start doing longer rides again.

I had intended to do a metric century today, but I didn't sleep well last night and decided that going straight from 20-ish kms to 100 in one jump wasn't really sensible anyway, so I had a relaxing start to the day and then set off 4-ish to do a half-metric century over a selection of the local hills. It was a good decision! The wind was stronger than expected and I could soon feel that my fitness is so-so. Not awful, but not up to enjoying the second 50 kms of a lumpy 100 km ride.

I warmed up on the A646 from Todmorden to Hebden Bridge, then rode up the Keighley Rd as far as Pecket Well, before turning right for Old Town. The hillsides below were looking incredibly lush. The scenery here on a sunny summer day is great. (In the winter it is the opposite - the valleys become brown-sided, misty and dank!)

Here is a photo taken as I came into Old Town. The church on the opposite hillside is in the old village of Heptonstall. The tower on the distant hill is Stoodley Pike, built to commemorate Brexit the defeat of Napolean. Hebden Bridge is tucked away down in the trees in the middle of the photo.

I continued along the road to Midgley and then turned left up the lane above Luddenden Dean. There were lots of people out walking today, enjoying the sunshine and the scenery.

I stopped to take my phone out of my back pocket and discovered that I hadn't put it in properly after taking the first photo. It could have fallen out at any moment. I took this picture, and then put the phone away properly.

I continued down gorgeous Jerusalem Lane and then turned right through Booth, before turning back up the hill to Midgley. A quick descent took me to Mytholmroyd, where I noticed that the flood alleviation scheme appears to have progressed a lot since I was last there. I hope that it does the job when it is finished - the poor residents of the village/town have had to put up with several devastating floods over the past 20 years.

I crossed the A646 and then headed off up Scout Rd towards Sowerby village. My warfarin drug alarm went off halfway up the hill, thwarting my attempt to sprint up it. (I could have ignored the alarm but it carries on for 10 minutes unless I reset it and that is very irritating.) Having dealt with that interruption, I took one last photo. Yes, more sunshine, more hills, more trees!

There is a village pub where I came into the village. Its frontage was absolutely heaving with sun-loving drinkers - no sign whatsoever of social distancing or masks! I can't see how a second wave of coronavirus can be avoided if a significant minority of the population are so determined to ignore the risks...

I passed through the village and then gradually climbed up to Steep Ln, which is, er, steep! I thought I was doing okay grovelling up that until a horribly fit cheerful young guy shot past me as if the road were almost flat***. It is quite dispiriting when that happens! I'll never be that fit again, but maybe if I work hard I can 'split the difference'? That would do me!

I got onto the open moor above Cragg Vale and continued to climb to Blackstone Edge. The wind had really picked up by then and was not helping me, but I only had to get to the summit and the rest of my ride would be easy.

At long last I got to the top, turned right and did a rapid descent to Littleborough, where I turned right again for the most direct route home to Todmorden.

I checked the stats... 53 km and 910 m of ascent (33 miles and approximately 3,000 ft). In normal times that would be the kind of thing that I wouldn't think twice about tackling. After my long, lazy, Covid-delayed cycling build-up this year it felt pretty tiring! I'm going to do a few more of these before starting on the metric centuries... :whistle:

*** PS I have been studying e-bikes for a friend today and have seen a few e-road bikes that are very stealthy (don't LOOK like e-bikes). I am going to make myself feel better by assuming that the fit whippersnapper was using secret motor-assist! :whistle: :laugh:

Last edited:

galaxy

Veteran
Yesterday's Ride

Time for a long ride. So out over the hills by Bromyard and Leysters. A dodge across the busy A49 to go by Eye. Then on to the River Arrow for a picnic lunch at Eardisland. Along the river for an explore of new lanes to emerge at Eardisley which has some black and white buildings. Next it was onto Weobley to climb over to Burghill. Across the A49 it was back onto better known roads. So Sutton St Nicholas and down to the River Lugg at Larport. A bit of up and down on the flanks of the Marcles. The run to Gold Hill has some leg testers after more than 80 miles. After Bosbury the final climb over The Wyche has to be done before the descent home. Lovely ride in unfamiliar and new lanes. The temperature was just right, the wind wasn't too bad and the rain, when it came, was somehow quite refreshing. 101 smiles
Did you cycle down THE Hundred to cross the A49, if so you passed my house.

Old jon

Guru
Rain. Hmm, sure this was not forecast, going for a ride anyway as soon as breakfast is eaten. And the rain stopped.

Where to go? Head for the Oakwood Clock, that’s five miles of thinking time, and it worked. Boot Hill next, and carry on along the A58 all the way through Scarcroft and Bardsey, a couple of Rigtons, and Collingham all the way to Wetherby. Then cross the River Wharfe and ride straight on until the right turn onto the B1224. This does go all the way to York, through a few other villages. There are also places either side of the road, and after passing the first turn to Walton the village of Bickerton is away to the left. No point going there, only two roads and they both join this one. Next along is Rudgate Crossroads, where I turned right onto Rudgate.

Then a bit of geographical confusion. This is a clockwise ride, most of the turns are to the right. And I knew I was approaching a T junction where I should turn right. But the sign to Walton pointed left, I sort of automatically turned that way and shortly afterwards called myself several kinds of fool. A few more right turns in the not so delightful Thorp Arch Trading Estate put me back on the road I wanted. Back across the Wharfe on the bridge in Boston Spa, turn left and then ride past the right turn to Clifford. Not the best day for navigation. This time, turn around.

Bramham next, over the A1 M and along the road to Thorner. Where the wind seemed a lot stronger all of a sudden, it must have been behind me until now. Ride up Sandhills to leave Thorner behind, the final rise always seems steep until the post box comes into view. Suppose it tells me the top is near. And aye, there are only two noticeable rises between here and home. The first is up to the spare gates that Roundhay Park keeps on Wetherby Road, then after going back past the clock and down the hill there is that awkward set of traffic lights. With an uphill start. Still, all this and a re-crossing of the Aire takes me home with a grin on my face. Yup, another half a mile would have made it a forty mile ride, and maybe tipped the climbing over 2000 feet. But it was a good ride.

Clockwise on the geared bike . . .

13072020.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

I still have work to do to catch up with missed challenge rides so with a bit of good weather forecast I headed out to get my century in. I thought I'd try another route that doesn't go far from home and the plan was two overlapping orbits of the Shrewsbury area.

I used the Galaxy and got out before seven into a morning that was cool, calm and sunny. For starters I headed to Condover then through Exford's Green to Arscott, Lea Cross, Nox and Ford. I had a good start and the traffic was light which was ideal. On the way to Exford's Green, just as I did a quick shoulder check there was a scrabbling of claws on tarmac and I looked ahead to see a rabbit just avoiding going under my front wheel :ohmy: - that could have been regrettable for both of us.

At Ford there is a short section on the A458, which I'd hoped would also be quiet at this time on a Sunday. It was mostly, but that didn't stop someone in a Discovery coming past too close and too fast.:angry: I console myself with the thought that the smoke it was intermittantly leaving behind means something expensive is likely to happen soon.

At Montford Bridge I turned away from busy roads for a bit and enjoyed the lanes to Shrawardine and Wilcott. I thought I'd take a small detour along a lane I haven't been down before to Nesscliffe before doubling back along what used to be the A5 - possibly useful as it skirts round a hill I'm not particularly keen on but it's further and you still have to climb a bit. Great Ness was next up, and a gateway along this road made a useful snack stop before continuing to Baschurch where I took to the lane past Fenemere to Myddle then the back road through Harmer Hill before heading for Plex, Hadnall, Astley and Ebury Hill. I wanted to be certain of the century so a left turn was taken on the way to Haughmond Hill heading through Rodington Heath, Walcot, Eaton Constantine and Cressage, where I had another snack stop at a convenient bench in the village where I could watch the world go by (and it seemed like the whole world was out and about now).

I was heading onto lanes again to Acton Burnell where I passed the 50 mile mark and knew I was on the right track with the mileage. I'd plotted a couple of variations of the route in case the mileage wasn't as high as hoped and knew that I could safely use the shorter of them for the next lap. The shorter option was appealing as I was already starting to struggle a little - it felt like I had no energy, I'd needed plentiful drink stops already and I couldn't seem to get comfortable on this saddle which I've done big miles on so many times before.:scratch:Possibly I was just having an off day or maybe I've messed things up with the adjustments I did last time.:unsure: I pressed on but, if I'd been sensible, probably should have cut it short this time.

Longnor, Ryton, Stapleton, Exford's Green and Plealey were up next. Being low on energy I an early break for lunch just outside Plealey then carried on to Pontesbury, Minsterley, and Westbury. After so many weeks of lockdown it was pleasant to see the Nags Head at Pontesbury doing a good trade. The road after Horsebridge has deteriorated since I last rode it and needs some care to ride. Having seen the amount of traffic on other main routes I took the rough and dusty direct route to Westbury.

By Halfway House I was struggling again and although my legs hadn't actually cramped they were making worrying little twinges occasionally. Because of this, the fast section with a nasty little hump to climb at Coedwy was worrying me. I needed to be able to go slow and carefully so bizarrely the hill to Bulthy seemed a better option since it's a long, steady climb from this side and never too steep. I made it up that alright and enjoyed the descent into Crew Green. Joining the main road here was flat with the wind behind me. They seem to have fixed the speed warning sign so it doesn't claim I was doing some outrageous speed any more.:laugh: In my tired state I realise the road after Melverley isn't as flat as it might look. I had a couple of stops along here - one for a drink and a bite of flapjack and one where I very nearly brought it back.xx(

The Royal Hill was busy which was good to see, as was the fact that people did seem to be being sensible. I noticed they have some cycle stands by the outside seating area which I don't recall seeing before.:okay: I got on steadily to the next climb at Wilcott which was the one I'd skirted round earlier. I didn't fancy it, but didn't fancy the extra distance going around either so plodded at it anyway. This time through I took a right at Little Ness then a left for Yeaton and worked my way through Old Woods, Merrington, Plex, Hadnall and Astley. I've lost count of the number of times I had to stop to rest and take a slurp of water. The jelly babies got opened at one of the stops around the 80 mile mark and did start to help. The second climb of Haughmond was hard going but knowing it was the last big climb of the day helped, then reaching Upton Magna I could start to count down the miles to home.

The shorter but hillier way from Atcham was an effort but proved worthwhile as the A458 was really busy and wouldn't have been fun getting out onto at Cross Houses. I finished the last of my water a couple of miles from Condover then had to work into a headwind for the last section.

106.74 miles at 13.1 mph average. That was much harder than it should have been, especially on the Galaxy, but it's done.:heat: 10 hours and 10 minutes when all the stops (and there were a lot) are taken into account.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention that there were a good number of other cyclists out and about this time - not just the obvious enthusiasts either. Keep it up guys.:okay:

Photos are a little bit random this time as I was just trying to make it round:

Setting out into a lovely morning. Looking towards the Stretton hills from Hunger Hill.

At Montford.

Harmer Hill.

Looking at the Wrekin from near Uppington.

Lunch stop near Plealey.

On the Bulthy to Crew Green road; the view to the Breidden with Rodney's Pillar at the top.

The vista from Crew Green before I drop down to the main road.

Jumping along a bit and looking back to the Breidden from near Bomere Heath.

Looking across to the Wrekin again as I traverse the edge of Haughmond Hill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom