Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Unfortunately mine sheared on the inside on the rear triangle and there was just not enough left for me to use. I'm wondering if the sudden cracking/pinging noises were related ag all but, I suppose I'll soon find out when I replace it. You are probably right about user error but I'm usually careful not to over tighten them for that very reason. Too many Shredded Wheat for breakfast maybe :blush:
Sorry, I know this isn't a maintenance thread so last word on the subject.. I was just taking a closer look at my sheared QR skewer and found that the Flat threaded lock-nut that is 'usually' screwed onto the spindle/axle had unscrewed itself and dropped off into my hand. The final diagnosis revealed a lack of grease causing the bearings to grind together (which was the cracking/pinging sound I heard) and the snapped QR was when the wheel eventually refused to turn at all but I wouldn't let it and carried on forcing the pedals around. I have never seen flat & chewed bearings before! My local mechanic has the wheel now but judging by the state of the bearings and copious amounts of swarf I think a new hub/wheel is a certainty. It was the suddenness of it that amazed me as I was free wheeling at over 25mph down quite a steep hill only moments before.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
So the ABC challenge completed on the basis X and Z are impossible,
You may be right about 'X', but not about 'Z'. I remember at least one 'Z' from past rides...
According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_locations:_X-Z there are no X's but there are some Z's. Just off the top of my head I think China has quite a few X's. Bit of a ride tho' :okay:

A repeat of Saturday's out-and-back from Lydford to Okehampton Station.

Very few people seen on the outward leg, big contrast to Saturday. Busier, though, on the return leg. This added up to a slightly faster average, the edge knocked off slightly by a developing headwind on the way back, although wind is possibly too strong a word for it.
Whatever, it were blowin' the wrong way...
Stats:

Nice to see the elevation gain pretty consistent between the two rides, not always the case on the home town rides.
Nice weather, got in an hour before the rain set in. Now, it's absolutely 'ammerin' dahn...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Mike_P

Guru
Actually, that could be a whole new challenge... Do the whole alphabet again with the letters in 2nd place,
Um... could make that harder by limiting how many initial letters are used, suspect it might be achievable for some using just an initial A or B with three byes as per the ABC one. I will use two of the three by skipping X and Z. Was thinking of doing the keyboard next and have already got QWERTYU lined up on a single ride, highway surface dressing permitting.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another new route planned for today although it was a bit disappointing to see the sun had gone again. It just started to rain when I left but still quite warm so didn’t bother with a waterproof as I would rather get wet than overheat and the forecast was only light showers, after an hour and 20 minutes of rain I was definitely wet. I started out to Northwood, Lyneal, Brown Heath, English Frankton passing the 2 lanes I usually turn down and carried on to Cockshutt. Crossed the road onto another lane which even in the rain had a fantastic view across to Wales, to Lower Hordley and a familiar lane to Bagley where I picked a lane to Stanwardine hoping it would come out in Baschurch which it did, turned back down the next lane to Weston Lullingfields, Marton, Burlton, Loppington, Horton, Ryebank, Foxholes and back home. Bits of me had started to dry out by the time I got back but as it wasn’t wet when I left I didn’t put the mudguards on the bike so got soaked. 32.7 miles @16.1mph. Not many people out and traffic was mostly delivery vans and tractors. No pictures because it was wet.

FitMum

Regular
Sweet and short, 16 miles, but a bit faster than last time, so happy with that. :bicycle:

ruffers

Veteran
Yesterday's ride:

I still have work to do to catch up with missed challenge rides so with a bit of good weather forecast I headed out to get my century in. I thought I'd try another route that doesn't go far from home and the plan was two overlapping orbits of the Shrewsbury area.

I used the Galaxy and got out before seven into a morning that was cool, calm and sunny. For starters I headed to Condover then through Exford's Green to Arscott, Lea Cross, Nox and Ford. I had a good start and the traffic was light which was ideal. On the way to Exford's Green, just as I did a quick shoulder check there was a scrabbling of claws on tarmac and I looked ahead to see a rabbit just avoiding going under my front wheel :ohmy: - that could have been regrettable for both of us.

At Ford there is a short section on the A458, which I'd hoped would also be quiet at this time on a Sunday. It was mostly, but that didn't stop someone in a Discovery coming past too close and too fast.:angry: I console myself with the thought that the smoke it was intermittantly leaving behind means something expensive is likely to happen soon.

At Montford Bridge I turned away from busy roads for a bit and enjoyed the lanes to Shrawardine and Wilcott. I thought I'd take a small detour along a lane I haven't been down before to Nesscliffe before doubling back along what used to be the A5 - possibly useful as it skirts round a hill I'm not particularly keen on but it's further and you still have to climb a bit. Great Ness was next up, and a gateway along this road made a useful snack stop before continuing to Baschurch where I took to the lane past Fenemere to Myddle then the back road through Harmer Hill before heading for Plex, Hadnall, Astley and Ebury Hill. I wanted to be certain of the century so a left turn was taken on the way to Haughmond Hill heading through Rodington Heath, Walcot, Eaton Constantine and Cressage, where I had another snack stop at a convenient bench in the village where I could watch the world go by (and it seemed like the whole world was out and about now).

I was heading onto lanes again to Acton Burnell where I passed the 50 mile mark and knew I was on the right track with the mileage. I'd plotted a couple of variations of the route in case the mileage wasn't as high as hoped and knew that I could safely use the shorter of them for the next lap. The shorter option was appealing as I was already starting to struggle a little - it felt like I had no energy, I'd needed plentiful drink stops already and I couldn't seem to get comfortable on this saddle which I've done big miles on so many times before.:scratch:Possibly I was just having an off day or maybe I've messed things up with the adjustments I did last time.:unsure: I pressed on but, if I'd been sensible, probably should have cut it short this time.

Longnor, Ryton, Stapleton, Exford's Green and Plealey were up next. Being low on energy I an early break for lunch just outside Plealey then carried on to Pontesbury, Minsterley, and Westbury. After so many weeks of lockdown it was pleasant to see the Nags Head at Pontesbury doing a good trade. The road after Horsebridge has deteriorated since I last rode it and needs some care to ride. Having seen the amount of traffic on other main routes I took the rough and dusty direct route to Westbury.

By Halfway House I was struggling again and although my legs hadn't actually cramped they were making worrying little twinges occasionally. Because of this, the fast section with a nasty little hump to climb at Coedwy was worrying me. I needed to be able to go slow and carefully so bizarrely the hill to Bulthy seemed a better option since it's a long, steady climb from this side and never too steep. I made it up that alright and enjoyed the descent into Crew Green. Joining the main road here was flat with the wind behind me. They seem to have fixed the speed warning sign so it doesn't claim I was doing some outrageous speed any more.:laugh: In my tired state I realise the road after Melverley isn't as flat as it might look. I had a couple of stops along here - one for a drink and a bite of flapjack and one where I very nearly brought it back.xx(

The Royal Hill was busy which was good to see, as was the fact that people did seem to be being sensible. I noticed they have some cycle stands by the outside seating area which I don't recall seeing before.:okay: I got on steadily to the next climb at Wilcott which was the one I'd skirted round earlier. I didn't fancy it, but didn't fancy the extra distance going around either so plodded at it anyway. This time through I took a right at Little Ness then a left for Yeaton and worked my way through Old Woods, Merrington, Plex, Hadnall and Astley. I've lost count of the number of times I had to stop to rest and take a slurp of water. The jelly babies got opened at one of the stops around the 80 mile mark and did start to help. The second climb of Haughmond was hard going but knowing it was the last big climb of the day helped, then reaching Upton Magna I could start to count down the miles to home.

The shorter but hillier way from Atcham was an effort but proved worthwhile as the A458 was really busy and wouldn't have been fun getting out onto at Cross Houses. I finished the last of my water a couple of miles from Condover then had to work into a headwind for the last section.

106.74 miles at 13.1 mph average. That was much harder than it should have been, especially on the Galaxy, but it's done.:heat: 10 hours and 10 minutes when all the stops (and there were a lot) are taken into account.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention that there were a good number of other cyclists out and about this time - not just the obvious enthusiasts either. Keep it up guys.:okay:

Photos are a little bit random this time as I was just trying to make it round:

View attachment 535746
Setting out into a lovely morning. Looking towards the Stretton hills from Hunger Hill.

View attachment 535747
At Montford.

View attachment 535748
Harmer Hill.

View attachment 535749
Looking at the Wrekin from near Uppington.

View attachment 535750
Lunch stop near Plealey.

View attachment 535751
On the Bulthy to Crew Green road; the view to the Breidden with Rodney's Pillar at the top.

View attachment 535752
The vista from Crew Green before I drop down to the main road.

View attachment 535753
Jumping along a bit and looking back to the Breidden from near Bomere Heath.

View attachment 535754
Looking across to the Wrekin again as I traverse the edge of Haughmond Hill.

great write up that.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
great write up that.
Thanks. :shy:

I didn't attempt a ride yesterday as it was a showery sort of day but did go over to have a look at @gavgav's bike as mentioned a few posts ago, only to find he has a broken outer chain link which is the cause of it unshipping. Nothing I could do as I don't have any 11 speed spares so that'll have to be rectified when the replacement comes.

Today looked better weather wise so I got the Galaxy out again and took it round one of my regular loops; Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Harnage, Cound, Cross Houses, Condover and back. Before starting I did a very small saddle adjustment which puts it practically back to where it was at the start of the season and after making sure I was happy with it round the village, set out onto a surprisingly quiet A49.

I had a tailwind on setting out so got along nicely to Longnor, but was still fairly quick when turning towards Acton Burnell. I was just musing on the fact that there weren't any other cyclists about when I spotted another rider in the distance approaching Frodesley. I caught and overtook on the climb, but to be fair he was rigged for touring and didn't appear in any kind of a rush.

There had been bits of drizzle through the ride which made me consider cutting it short but at Acton Burnell I decided to risk it and continue which turned out to be the right choice for once. Turning towards the wind on the way to Harnage it turned out not to be as bad to ride into as I thought, but was brisk enough to show off the flag of the day at Cound which was the French tricolore (the obvious choice with it being Bastille Day).

Approaching the A458 junction there was a cyclist up ahead and to my surprise it was the same chap I'd passed at Frodesley. I ended up following him into Cross Houses as there was too much traffic to be able to overtake, until he pulled off the road by the pub.

Having passed through Condover again the run up to the A49 was directly into the wind but using the drops I was pleased to maintain a decent cruising speed. Everything was going nicely until the chain jammed as I shifted down to the middle ring just before the junction :sad:. I thought I'd fixed that so some tinkering was done at the end - the first adjustment just made it worse but the second try went better so I'll just have to see how it goes.

24.1 miles this time at 15.6 mph average. No photos from this one.

ruffers

Veteran
My son finishes primary school today, so I took a days holiday to make sure I don’t miss the tears ☹️.
Managed to sneak out this morning for a cheeky ride. Was great to get out for a decent ride although it was quite windy in parts.
1594732361417.jpeg

overall it was 21 miles at an average of 13.5 mph. No records broken but was great to be out. Being back at work has restricted my time on the bike.

Enjoy everyone and happy cycling 🚴‍♀️

Top Bottom