Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on the Tricross at 10am to meet friends for a coffee ride to Naburn Marina on the outskirts of York.
26.8 miles with 15.8 Mph average, lovely ride.

Shropshire65LW

Another nice ride around Shropshire countryside, took in a new 14 mile route that I’ve never done , and a good route I can combine with other to make a bigger circuit, lovely morning farmers harvesting , buzzards and hawks , now on kitchen duty for Sunday lunch . So must dash 😂

Attachments

• 7B487F03-3780-404A-A094-2A6EF5706CFE.jpeg
    7B487F03-3780-404A-A094-2A6EF5706CFE.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 9986D013-DC0E-4B55-9E73-01063EEF07C6.jpeg
    9986D013-DC0E-4B55-9E73-01063EEF07C6.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 5759D170-F3C8-4089-BE8C-08E8DFF22070.jpeg
    5759D170-F3C8-4089-BE8C-08E8DFF22070.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 3
Mrs TB and her group of lady paddle boarders out at 10.00 ready for the high tide on this glorious day, so I thought, probably not enough time for a ride into the hills, I know, get the Fixed Wheel out for a spin, which round here, means along the coast path into Minehead for seafront circuits (any other direction simply too lumpy for the Fixed).

What a lovely 30 mile bash, counted 51 other cylists out, ranging from 4 or 5 year olds in family groups through to old Len on his George Langstaff racing trike. Len has a big birthday coming up, you know, one of those that ends in a zero, and, in his case, will start with a Nine. Chapeau Sir, keep riding fella.

Fantastic weather, everyone smiling, wind was kind too, and got to catch up with Len on the beach path on way back, which allowed me a sneaky rest (I'm sure he didn't need one!).

Attachments

• 30a9f256-2d01-4d50-b579-866fe232aacc.JPG
    30a9f256-2d01-4d50-b579-866fe232aacc.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 03323c26-e564-4b04-ab7b-89fa1e84986b.JPG
    03323c26-e564-4b04-ab7b-89fa1e84986b.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 2
  • ec716ef4-922c-4396-aac0-bd7f735a02d5.JPG
    ec716ef4-922c-4396-aac0-bd7f735a02d5.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 5740f5a1-7a35-4efd-a2b3-d4e24f95600b.JPG
    5740f5a1-7a35-4efd-a2b3-d4e24f95600b.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Club ride number seven of the year today ..... four months after club ride number six. Great to be back out there with friends on a group ride again. Eight of us turned up this morning, so we made the obvious split of three intermediates and five on the social ride. Most of us on the social ride took one look at the profile of today's 42 mile ride, (650m of climbing and two big hills and a couple of short but very steep ones), and worried whether we were up to it. In the end, we were very well matched and we all made it up to Selsley via Middleyard comfortably. After a fast descent into Stroud, we then almost immediately took on Dudbridge Hill, Walkley Hill and Butterrow Hill all in one continuous climb, before following the high road along the South side of the valley to Brimscombe. Brilliant views across the valley all the way, and very little traffic. Three of us got off and pushed when shocked by a short but brutal little climb just around a dark corner in the woods and just before the final descent.

After a great little outdoor cafe stop on a river bank near Brimscombe, it was back across the main road and up yet again to follow the high road back along the opposite side of the valley and into Stroud along Thrupp Lane. This time, all the great views of houses along the hillside were of the road we had just taken in the opposite direction, and I couldn't help feeling quite impressed that we had all done it. By the time we got back, I'm guessing we were about an hour behind the Intermediates. A shame we didn't see them at the cafe stop. According to a lady on the next table, @KingswayRider and the others had only just left when we got there.

What a great day for a ride, and what a great route. Loved every minute of it. Off for a relaxing bath now.
Cheers, Donger.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Fat and unfit 😂 older and fitter than me 60miles I have a way to go my short rides look pitiful 😂

well done looks a great ride. In the mean time I’ll keep practicing and trying to find some fitness lever 🤔😂
to be fair i was riding in the pack for the last 10-15 miles and struggling on the hills but fitness is all comparative to what you want im sure to 99% of the population your super fit .

geocycle

Legendary Member
Decent weather at last on a day when I was able to get out. Headed up Barbondale to Dent. Amazed to see how many wild campers there were In Barbondale. Slightly concerned how much would be left behind but hey ho. The camp sites in Dent were heaving as well. As ever, the village and valley was quiet and had a great flat white sat outside a cafe, first proper barista coffee since March. Went up the huge hill out of the valley to meet the Hawes to Ingleton road. Lots of traffic and especially motorbike so peeled off to Chapel Le Dale. Decided to have lunch in Wray as Bridge Farm was open again. Great ride 100km with 1400m of up.

Pictures show view looking up Barbondale, Dent cobbles and the Adam Sedgwick memorial. I also liked the parking notice, ’bikes only, others will be crushed!‘ that’s telling them!

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Back on local roads today . Did my standard 50km loop out to Wymeswold nothing remarkable but the difference in terrain from last week is vast . Today took me 4.5 miles to do 162ft of elevation gain ,last week 0.5 miles !! . Today's stats 31.4 miles elevation 1289ft ,41 ft a miles last week it was 80/100ft . Today's ride felt flat as a pancake and my speed back to 16mph compared to 13.5-14.5 last week . The speed difference on the descents was the main difference on known roads I could just let the bike go on the quiet Cornish lanes I chose to ride I was braking on every descent due to poor line of sight . Much as I love riding in Cornwall it was nice to be back on familiar roads

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
After commuting in the rain most of the week it was good to see the sun back and no wind. Started off to Wolverley, Nonely, Myddle, down the Lower Road and turned to Merrington, onto Old Woods, down a new lane back to Myddlewood, Marton, Burlton, English Frankton, Lyneal, past the caravan site which looked quite busy and over the canal to Bettisfield, Northwood and home. A few cyclists, dog walkers and runners although not as many as I would expect on a sunny day and very little traffic. Since the motorcycle cafe has opened in Coton there are more groups of motorbikes about who seem to like riding round corners in the middle of the road as fast as they can which I’m not very keen on, hopefully they will start going back to Wales now. 28.1 miles @16.1mph.
A2DDCE31-42B1-4668-B037-9483F43DFBDC.jpeg

Lyneal
FC4342C2-CFF9-4873-B5EA-3C44F3CDA211.jpeg

View from another old railway bridge near Bettisfield

Cavalol

Guru
Very unfit (weight and breathing wise) and not been on bike for ages, so just the usual favourite little ride yesterday. Said it before, day it again: feel very lucky to live round here, all the ride is nice, but the feeling you get when you are coming across the meadows on the outskirts of ‘town’ is still ace, especially on a sunny day. Got a new PB somewhere, though noticed today Strava won’t let you see where you are in the standings anymore, unless you go Premium :sad:

Peaceful BLM protest near the castle, later reports from the usual frothing at the mouth social media users said the protestors were foul mouthed yobs, though I really don’t believe that as it seemed quite family orientated and everyone was polite and relaxed when I saw them. By the by, bumped into some scooter and motorbike friends st The Groves, so had a chat with them and went on a scooter run with quite a few of them today.

ruffers

Veteran
Well today was, fingers crossed, the start of many family rides and along with that many miles of memories.

My dad has recently bought a road bike and today was his first outing with me and my 11 year old son.

We rode 5 miles along a bridle way near to us. Not far but I’m really happy grandad dad and son got out together. Dads fitness is not the best and he openly admits he needs to drop a few pounds and my son was on a bmx so he did well too. I am looking for a new bike for him but given the current climate, it’s hard

We hope to, slowly but surely, build up the miles and stop at various cafes near us.

For me the three of us just spending time together and doing something healthy is priceless.

Happy cycling everyone 🚴🏻

JPBoothy

Veteran
Just returned from an eventful short ride in the sun with my daughter. From the moment we set off my bike started making random cracking/pinging noises similar to metal under stress such as a spoke. I had a quick look and squeeze of the spokes but couldn't see anything obvious so I put it down to a possible lack of lube from when I hosed it down following a muddy bridalway outing the other day. I was careful but you can never be certain where water will end up. Anyway, when we reached our intended stopping point I decided to open/tighten & re-close my rear wheel QR skewer as that was a possible source of the noise. However, the noise continued on the return journey right up to the point when the end of the skewer sheared off with a loud snap and my wheel immediately moved to the side and brought me to a stop as it rubbed against the rear triangle. The journey ended with my bike and daughter in my wife's car and me riding the last few miles home on a very small Mtb! Anybody had that happen before? A skewer is definitely not a spare that I would ever think to carry. Do you think I have just been unlucky or could something more serious be to blame?

Top Bottom