Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I met up with John B and as we headed out my front tyre went down. Sorted we were soon into the lanes as we chatted away. For a change we climbed Drury Lane into Redmarley. Then as the chat flowed nicely we climbed onto Woolridge for the views. Our pace picked up as we followed the Hams. At Town Street we met Bill D who we haven't seen for a while. So more catch up chat kept us going around the diversion caused by some road works. On around Chaceley my rear tyre went down. Just as well I had two spare tubes today. Back in the saddle we had some extra work to do as the wind seemed to pick up. Time was getting short so our route took the shortest way back from Tunnel Hill. Traffic was amazingly heavy. Seems some roadworks was channeling everything our way but the standard of driving was atrocious. 48 smiles

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The sun returns!

A most excellent couple of hours being put the the sword by my 20yo around the steep hills of Macclesfield in soft afternoon sunshine.

For those familiar with the locale: Blaze Hill, Pym Chair, that very steep twiddly small back lanes bit behind Kettleshulme, up to Charles Head & down the Brickworks.

A tad under 30 miles, nigh on 1000m climbing.

Now to curry!

pawl

Legendary Member
The sun returns!

A most excellent couple of hours being put the the sword by my 20yo around the steep hills of Macclesfield in soft afternoon sunshine.

For those familiar with the locale: Blaze Hill, Pym Chair, that very steep twiddly small back lanes bit behind Kettleshulme, up to Charles Head & down the Brickworks.

A tad under 30 miles, nigh on 1000m climbing.

Now to curry!

Isn’t there a rock outcrop on one of the edges on Kinder Scout called Pyms Chair? Who was Pam?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Nipped out with @Dark46 and our friend and club mate Tina this afternoon. 31.8 miles in great company. Arlingham and back, with a few little detours, including one to my new favourite place, Milton End. From the place name, I'd always assumed it was a dead end, but it turned out to be more of a little by-pass into the land that time forgot. A couple of lovely houses, a nice old barn with oak beams, a duck pond, a white donkey and a pen full of piglets. In fact the piglets can come and go as they please from their pen, and as we stopped for a moment to watch them, two or three little groups of Gloucester Old Spot piglets charged around, crossing the lane at will and playing among the hooves of the horses and the donkey. I got one poor quality picture of @Dark46 and a very free-range piglet:

Another great little ride. Nearly ready for my first beasting on a club ride for four months this Sunday.
Cheers, Donger.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Isn’t there a rock outcrop on one of the edges on Kinder Scout called Pyms Chair? Who was Pam?

Yeah, I think there are two Pym chairs in the Peak, I don't know exactly where the other is, but Kinder sounds convincing to me. I'm clueless on the etymology - assuming you meant Pym and not Pam...

colly

Re member eR
Two rides for me to post:

The first was last Saturday. I can't give any description or details because it was 6 days ago now, and to me, it might as well be 6 years.^_^
I do know it was early, and I also know it was on fixed, other than that...

The garmin tells me it was 27.3 miles and 1650 ft of up. Fixed wheel.
fixed 4th july.JPG

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/52237702

And for various reasons nothing until today. I went down to my sons place today in Featherstone to fit some cables to my grandson's bike.

Not too early off but being in no rush I decided to take a route which took me via Woodlesford and the canal towpath out as far as Methley/Castleford. I passed a spot where I had been back at the end of March:

How it looks now:

We have had a good deal of rain this past couple of weeks but clearly nothing compared to earlier in the year. Every other place was underwater
or nearly so.
On to Featherstone and a couple of pleasant hours with my sons partner and my granddaughter while I was fed and fixed the lads bike while he was at school. Back towards home then by a not direct route.
Out to Knottingley on a busy A645 which I was pleased to get off of after turning for Ferrybridge.................only to find it was the slip road for what turned out to be a fast dual carriageway, a motorway in all but name:sad:. Not being that familiar with roads around there I just had to lump it.
Fortunately a half mile further on there was a turn off for Ferrybridge and it was through the small town and I ended up eventually back on the road I had turned off 10 mins previously. :blink:
Through Knottingley then and finally a turn onto the lanes out through Beal and Birkin (they always sound like a double act to me) and on towards Hillam.

It was forecast to rain today as well and I almost got away with it too.
This downpour I missed by a couple of miles:

20200710_141915.jpg

20200710_141913.jpg

Through Hillam and Monk Fryston I turned off my usual route from here and made for the small village of Ledsham and then through rarely visited Kippax. I picked up the main A63 at Garforth where I finally met the rain. I got wet, but not much tbh and so it was into Cross Gates and then home.

44.3 miles and 1750 ft of up.
joshs repairs.JPG

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/52237713

Attachments

• 20200710_141915.jpg
    20200710_141915.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Yeah, I think there are two Pym chairs in the Peak, I don't know exactly where the other is, but Kinder sounds convincing to me. I'm clueless on the etymology - assuming you meant Pym and not Pam...

My mistake I don know a Pam 🥰😍🥰It’s along time since I walked on Kinder I do remember there are several named outcrops .The boxing gloves .Lost Lad and some other I’m not able to remember.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Due to weather / aching / saddle sores / apathy / other distractions this week has been shocking, with only around 33 recorded miles :sad:

I did go for a waft into town on the ofo last night though as it was such a lovely clear evening. Incidentally I passed the house of the mercenary muppet selling his Yaris who gave me cause for complaint by hiking the price when I enquired about it - despite the "guy coming to look at it" the previous night it's still on the drive and still for sale. Long may it remain that way!

Other highlights included following some enthusiastic bloke blasting dubious euro-trance-house stuff from a bluetooth speaker as he wobbled around the road possibly en-route to his next party destination, a fox warily sloping along the street from the Pitt Rivers Museum to one of the colleges with a whole pigeon in its jaws and the arse-end of a badger as it scampered ahead of me for 20yds down a cycle path on the way home.

Quite a nice atmosphere in town; people about but not ridiculously busy, many pubs really empty but a few quite well attended (with apparently zero social distancing :rolleyes:) - especially those with outside seating. Cowley rd seems to have got its vibe back with the usual mix of folks about, although again in thankfully diminished numbers.

Also forgot to mention that on a previous ride thorough town some meathead was kicking off in the McDonalds on Cornmarket; causing a few to stop and observe - the random mallard that was stood amongst us displaying perhaps the most palpable sense of disgust .. :tongue:

I'm hoping I can get back on the bike for some proper rides next week :smile:

Last edited:

Shropshire65LW

View attachment 534582

I had to go to the Warfarin Clinic in Nantwich yesterday. Rat poison levels a bit high, but nothing to worry about. I decided to cycle via the back lanes to Whitchurch. I wasn't concentrating and after a while realized I had missed the turn off the main road and was heading towards Wrexham. Not to worry, there are plenty of other turns that would get me back on track. I took the first road to the left and soon became lost in the maze of unsignposted lanes. I got the phone out, but there are so many small lanes it's difficult to work out the best route. Eventually, I spotted a sign to Cholmondeley and was soon back on a road I recognized. Even better news the Cholmondeley Arms has now re-opened!

I followed parts of NCN 70 and 45 back to Marbury, where the Swan pub is still closed. I had a brief rest on the bench round the oak tree opposite the pub before continuing to Whitchurch. I stopped at B&M Home Bargains to get some marzipan fingers and other goodies. I was definitely running out of steam, so ate half the packet of marzipan fingers. After battling against the headwind most of the way, it was behind me all the way home!

View attachment 534583
Looks like your on my doorstep , looks like a good ride 👍

Shropshire65LW

todays ride , took in a few new lanes and a semi relaxing hrs and a half . Another new one tomorrow few more new lanes , I believe part of a marked route in Shropshire

Attachments

• 95C59D4D-9AB7-4BCE-8C5D-EAE717110369.jpeg
    95C59D4D-9AB7-4BCE-8C5D-EAE717110369.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 2
  • E619384D-C314-47D7-A46A-3A081B67C63A.jpeg
    E619384D-C314-47D7-A46A-3A081B67C63A.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 2

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Not sure if it was @Nick Saddlesore or @Blue Hills I saw pottering around down Theobalds/Clerkenwell road. Didnt see a face as the person had a grey or black hoodie on but i flew past you just before red lion square. Didnt recognise the cyclist but the bike looked familiar as its an old blue vintage bike with a super aero or slammed seating position.

Pannier bag hanging off the right side

Top Bottom