The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Failed miserably 🙄

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't decide what to do about 2021... In an ideal world, I'd aim for 161 kms for this challenge (metric equivalent to imperial century), PLUS the metric-century-a-month, PLUS top up with the 50-a-month, aiming to do separate rides for each. I also want to do my new climbing challenge.

The thing is, I reckon Covid-19 will still be a big issue until at least mid-summer, so most of my rides until then will be done solo so my motivation to do longish rides could again be an issue.

There is also the small matter of my recent challenge failures... :whistle: I still feel that a challenge should be a challenge so I don't want to play safe by picking a distance that I know that I can/will do. OTOH, repeatedly trying but failing to complete challenges is depressing!

I'll decide before the end of January what I am going to have a go at.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I failed by two, but it might be worth remembering that 11 rides of 200km is still the second highest I've ever achieved in a calendar year, even in those far-off days of my youth.

I did think it was reasonably well in hand but I had a setback a couple of months ago and 125 miles wasn't realistic. I made it over the line for the ICaM challenge though.

Remember the glorious weather of the first lockdown? There were at least a couple of rides I could easily have extended to 125 miles during that period. But Audax had decreed that although there was no limit on how far anyone was allowed to ride, informing someone in advance of their intention was too dangerous.

Much thanks to @ColinJ and @Sea of vapours for getting this challenge established. I'm not sure what I'll do next year. Whether I'll be fit enough to start 100 milers in January I'm not even thinking about at the moment. If not, a lunacy target of 100 miles sounds a bit too easy; 200km a bit far, especially as I think I'm done with Audax.

Let's just remember that 2021 is going to contain some great days in the saddle. :smile:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Why is that then, just out of interest?
A very fair question. I don't really have any great motivation to do calendar events - I think I've done four since 2015. My main reason for joining a couple of years ago was to pick up some cool awards when there was still a chance I might have the strength and ability. RRtY is achieved, so the venture into Audax has its tangible reward. SR is beyond me I'm sure. Last year I was possibly still in with a chance of the Randonneur 5000 award when lockdown struck. But at the moment I'm nowhere near being able to contemplate these sort of rides, so I think it's best to forget it for the moment (I've sent a personal message of thanks to my DiY organiser for all his friendly help) and start building myself up again gently.

Maybe next Autumn my world will look completely different and I'll pick up the challenge again. :smile:

bluenotebob

Veteran
Assuming there are no more lengthy lockdowns in France this year, then I’m up for this Challenge again. It’s perhaps a dodgy assumption – apparently 60% of the French don’t want to be vaccinated against Covid (WTF is wrong with them?).

I’m staying with my 2020 target of 84km. I know how I’m going to do it .. two qualifying rides by 30 April, seven by 30 June, and eleven or twelve by 30 September. Whether I actually do it is another matter. Motivation and positivity are pretty thin on the ground at the moment. I haven’t even looked at one of my bikes since 13 December – never mind gone for a ride.

Could we have a new thread for 2021 rides, please ? ...@ColinJ ?

steverob

Guru
Not sure what my target will be for this year. Might go back to the 65 mile target from 2019 that I failed to achieve, but may hedge my bets with something slightly lower (say 100km) and have the higher number in my back pocket as a stretch goal.

Regardless it will certainly be above this years goal of 50 miles, as barring one pre-Covid ride in March, at which point I hadn't officially signed up for the challenge anyway, all my qualifying rides I managed to get done in pretty much 5 months (20th June to 21st November), so clearly I need to push myself a little harder this time round.

steverob

Guru
Looks like I'm going to be the first to post for 2021, which is a bit of a shock! My target is going to be 62.14 miles (e.g. 100km), but I am going to aim to do as many over 65 miles as possible, which will be my stretch goal.

As for the ride, after two weekends of terrible weather (mainly icy) and not being able to get out for a decent length ride, I saw that this weekend looked to be more of the same, but having managed to wangle a Friday off of work and the forecast leading me to believe that I might be able to get a long ride done, it seemed like too good an opportunity to miss. It was going to rain overnight, meaning wet roads to start, but looked clear until 2-3pm, by which time I was hoping to already be home.

Did one of my standard flat-ish routes out to the west of Aylesbury, with a couple of additional detours thrown in to bump up the mileage - some planned, others forced on me by road closures (usually due to HS2 works) or flooded roads - did have to go through one flooded section which came up to the bottom of my pedal stroke!

And just as I was doing the only notable climb of the day (Poundon Hill), I noticed the first spots of rain on my GPS screen. It wasn't even 1pm, so it looks like the rain arrived early. By the time I got to the top, it had gone from spitting to pouring and then not long after to absolute downpour. As I was already on my way back home, there was nothing I could do to get back any quicker and nowhere to shelter - I just had to stick it out and keep riding for the next 25 miles.

Of course, the rain started to subside just as I got within 500 yards of my house! Took me a couple of hours to dry off and get warm again, which is why I've only just got round to posting!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have decided to be realistic... I will make my 2021 target distance 100 km because I am not doing the MCAMC this year and have only done one 100 km ride in well over a year so aiming for 13 longer rides this time would be a bit of a stretch, especially since forum rides still seem a few months off and they are usually what I do to motivate myself.

I'll (hopefully!) make some of my rides 161 km (100 miles) but I won't commit myself to that distance this time.

I have in mind doing at least 6 of the rides on singlespeed and 6 on my best bike. The ss rides will be flat/undulating and the others will be hilly.

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
Well yesterday's ride was not strictly speaking a planned Lunacy entry, but at the same time I knew there was a fair chance I might end up doing one with just a little added effort. In fact had I been in the MCAMC I would certainly have postponed this ride in order to do it next weekend so that it fell in March just on the off chance (having said that, had I entered the MCAMC, I'd have already been out as I didn't do a ride in January!).

It was my third ride out to Bicester in about two months; the first I had to slightly cut short, the second I got massively rained upon (see previous Lunacy ride), but this time I finally got to achieve my planned route without interruption. That was always going to take me to about 55 miles, then with a part where I got a little lost in a new housing estate and another (more intended) detour, that pushed me up to 58.

Then on the way home I got a text from the wife saying she wanted to get out on her bike and wanted me to accompany her - it was going to be her first ride since breaking her arm back in December and she obviously felt a little nervous. So that meant another three miles, by which time I thought, why not just go one more time round the block and cross the 100km mark.

If my plans of achieving my 65 mile stretch goal come to fruition, then this will be one of the first rides to drop off the bottom of the list anyway, so it didn't really matter how much over the target I went, as long as I did just enough.

aferris2

Guru
Second ride done, doubling up on the 50km challenge. I really did want to go for the 80 km stretch target today. Weather forecast said sunny and a reasonable 11C but it wasn't. Totally ran out of energy and just scraped past the 60 km distance. I've not been out enough so fitness has completely gone. Let's hope the weather warms up a bit to persuade me to go out a bit more often.

Top Bottom