The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Three Lunacy rides done before the clocks change - that's not bad going! Rode south and west down to a small town in Oxfordshire called Benson, better known for the RAF base round the corner that shares its name and then back via a slightly more circuitous route

Had to replan a little on the fly when the road I was planning to take between Thame and the A40 turned out to be closed for 12 weeks. Looked it up on my phone's browser while standing by the diversion sign and found that the actual roadworks were towards the A40 end of the road, about 3 miles away. Had it been nearer the Thame end, I would have been tempted to ride down to it (road open for access, but would essentially be traffic free) and see if I could sneak my bike through, knowing that it wouldn't have been far to ride back if I couldn't - but adding on potentially six miles didn't sound such a good idea, especially as I worked out a diversion (not the one signposted) that would only add on four.

Took a lunch break at a McDonalds just outside Wallingford - basically stood in the car park, ordered on the app, looking through the window to see the screen for when my order was ready and then dashed in and out in less than 20 seconds to pick it up. Probably beat most of the car drivers who were still queuing round the block for the drive-in and I got to eat it in the fresh air rather than being cooped up in a metal box which would now probably smell of fast food for the next fortnight!

To make up for the additional miles earlier, I did eliminate an optional part of my planned route - it was just to cover a section of road I'd previously wanted to explore further and I'd have had to come back the same way afterwards, so it didn't make much difference to postpone it to another ride.

Way home was a lot easier as it was a cross/tail wind for most of it, compared to the cross/head I'd had on the first half. Picked up some good speed between Wheatley and Haddenham looking at Strava, though I did purposely choose to take a flatter longer route over the shorter hillier one, so maybe that shouldn't be too much of a surprise!

aferris2

Guru
3rd ride done today, going for my stretch target of 80 km. Lots of sunshine today so the legs got an airing. Headed out to Maldon and decided to avoid the Prom which I knew would be packed. I did pop round on the way back to see the Maldon barges but decided to leave the masses alone. Had a couple of "interesting" passes on the way back. Lockdown has obviously meant that some people have forgotten how to drive.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I’m finally off the mark in this year’s challenge. I’d planned Loony rides for April but I had to abandon them as we went into lockdown again (restricted to 10km from home). We came out of lockdown on Monday, thankfully.

I enjoyed today’s ride, exploring north of the Rance, but as it was my first ride over 80km since last September, I’m feeling it this evening.

steverob

Guru
Five rides now done and the longest one of the year so far. Main aim was to cross off some elusive VeloViewer tiles in and around the Luton area, which was going to involve going down some country lanes with rather sketchy surfaces (especially on road bike tyres) but managed that without too much problem in the end - the fact that it was probably the warmest day of the year so far certainly helped with drying out some of the muddier parts.

Talking of heat, I completely forgot about applying sunscreen and am now suffering the (admittedly rather mild) consequences! In my defence, with it being overcast for a lot of the ride and very windy, it did not even occur to me until I'd been home for a good few hours and wondered why my arms were so itchy all of a sudden - you can definitely see the dividing line where my sleeves came down to!

The main other point of interest about the ride was that I properly went through a ford for the first time, which was kind of cool. I'd been through one before strictly speaking, but it was in the middle of a very hot summer and basically it was just a sheen of water on the road surface - I've ridden through deeper puddles! However this one actually counted as it was a good few inches deep and quite long - ended up creating myself quite a nice little wave (went through at a decent speed) and my legs got a proper soaking!

I have posted a ride in the ride thread. I'm undecided as to whether to try to complete this in 2021 though, so that's very much a placeholder for now. I'm not sure I can manage both the Lunacy Climbing Challenge and this one, since they are 100% incompatible; at least they are for me as I'm not about to do a 150km ride with a 30km section of 1,000m ascent in the middle of it. I was vaguely intending to get the climbing one finished soonish and move on to this one, but recent weather has somewhat stymied that.

And a plug here for the Lunacy Climbing Challenge. It's certainly challenging :-) And it's certainly not too late to start, though you do need to live somewhere with at least a few, densely-located, steepish hills.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm still waiting for cycling inspiration to strike this year but I really should start getting my fitness ready in advance of that momentous day! :whistle:

The only time since 1989 that I have lost my cycling mojo to this extent was 2012-2013 and I had a very good reason for that... (Well, I suppose a global pandemic is also a partial excuse, but other people have worked around it so I could have done too.)

My Lunacy Challenge target distance this year is 100 km.

If we manage to fight off the Indian Covid-19 variant and are set free as planned on the 21st of June then I will be going to Devon for a week or so and my hope is to do 3 x 100+ km rides down there. Those will be pretty hard so I ought to get 2 or 3 easier metric centuries in up here first. I am organising a 100 mile forum ride for shortly after I get back from Devon. If I can stick to that plan then I will have got 6 or 7 qualifying rides done before the end of July. That would give me a reasonable chance of completing the challenge this time round.

That's a second Lunacy ride for 2021. That was 'accidental' though, and I'm still not necessarily doing the challenge.

'Accidental' in that I wanted to go up Great Dun Fell and the summit is more than 75km from home, so clocking up a 150km trundle is inevitable. For once, it wasn't cold up there *and* there were panoramic views, unobscured by cloud. The whole of the Lakeland skyline, the Howgill Fells and the Yorkshire Dales in one half of the view and the largest road-free area in England (I believe?) in the other.

It's good, this properly May-like weather ^_^

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Accidental' in that I wanted to go up Great Dun Fell and the summit is more than 75km from home, so clocking up a 150km trundle is inevitable. For once, it wasn't cold up there *and* there were panoramic views, unobscured by cloud. The whole of the Lakeland skyline, the Howgill Fells and the Yorkshire Dales in one half of the view and the largest road-free area in England (I believe?) in the other.
I don't do the 'bucket list' thing, but Great Dun Fell is a climb that I want to do at least once. It may well be only once though because I am even further away, and it may well kill me! :laugh:

There are a few other big classic British climbs that I really want to do. Once I get my state pension, I will be able to afford cycling holidays to take some of them in.

You should get a train to Appleby and do it from there. Given the time I know you can get to Settle in the morning, and the time you can get home, that leaves ample time for a train to Appleby and back, with several hours to 'nip up the hill' between trains. I went through Appleby out and back today and it was 2h10m, which included some stopping and eating and some admiring the view. Only do it on a nice day though - it's a bit grim otherwise!

aferris2

Guru
Slightly disapointed that we only have one page (and a bit) of chats this year. Where is everyone? Weather seems to be finally making a turn for the better (at least here in the south) and with lockdowns/restrictions almost gone, there aren't many more excuses left to not get out ^_^

Ride No. 6 done today. This is the 3rd 80km ride so looking like the longer distance might be possible if we get a proper summer. Nice sunny weather for the ride to Maldon, but a bit breezy and cold on the coast so disn't stay too long. Lots of lunch venues (pubs) closed on the way back so ended up having lunch at 4pm when I got home.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You should get a train to Appleby and do it from there. Given the time I know you can get to Settle in the morning, and the time you can get home, that leaves ample time for a train to Appleby and back, with several hours to 'nip up the hill' between trains.
The quickest way by bike for me is to cycle to and from Keighley but I wouldn't enjoy doing that.

I could just do the obvious and get the train to Leeds, and the Appleby train from there. It might pay to get off at Bradford Interchange and cycle over to Forster Square. I would have to check the timetables to see if I could save time, but I might end up just having to wait for the train I could have caught from Leeds anyway.

There are quite a few rides that I would like to do up there so I think I'll just have a holiday in the area instead.
I went through Appleby out and back today and it was 2h10m, which included some stopping and eating and some admiring the view.
That means 3+ hours for me!

Only do it on a nice day though - it's a bit grim otherwise!
Oh, definitely! The hills round here are bad enough in dodgy weather but GDF is twice as high.
Slightly disapointed that we only have one page (and a bit) of chats this year. Where is everyone? Weather seems to be finally making a turn for the better (at least here in the south) and with lockdowns/restrictions almost gone, there aren't many more excuses left to not get out ^_^
I've been feeling a bit of a cycling fraud this past 16 months so I haven't felt that I was really part of the challenges, and therefore had less to add! :blush:

I still hope to salvage my 2 Lunacy challenges this year and go on to better things next year. I will be getting my state pension from January so I will have more money to spend on cycling trips and my bikes, as well as feeling more able to concentrate on things I want to do rather than things I need to do!

It's surprisingly civilised, as a day out:
Leave Todmorden 0943, arrive Appleby 1247.
Leave Appleby 1700, arrive Todmorden 2038
£26.40 return, and one change in Leeds each way. Over four hours available to get up and down. It's certainly entirely possible once you've sorted out your neck and back. Admittedly, more appealing when starting somewhat more locally, thus removing 6-7 hours of train.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

£17.40 with my old-fogey's Senior railcard!

Quite a lot of the train journey scenery would be very pleasant, but it's still a big train time : cycling time ratio.

Last edited:
Top Bottom