The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Man, that was a hot one. And before I get tempted to break into the lyrics from Santana's "Smooth", I'll do a run-down of today's ride. Possibly ill-advised to try and break the 70 mile barrier for the first time since June 2019, but I knew I needed to start doing more distances that weren't just slightly over my target to avoid future Eddington problems.

Had to change my mind on my route at the last minute when I realised my original plans, while they wouldn't actually be going through Silverstone itself, they would require me briefly to cycle along parts of two of the main approach roads to the the circuit, which probably wasn't a good idea on the weekend of the British GP. Decided to put that one on the back burner for another week and dig out another route of a similar direction and distance and see how that went.

Still headed up into Northamptonshire anyway, with an early-ish start (for me anyway, notorious weekend lier-in) to see if I could do the first half of the ride before the mercury hit 30 degrees - it was already 21C at 09:30! That neck of the woods is quite lumpy without having any hills of note - no big climbs, but enough ups and downs to ensure the elevation meter was constantly ticking upwards.

Did a tour of a number of different villages I'd previously quickly passed through, getting a slightly better look at what they had to offer this time. Discovered a "horse tunnel" under the Grand Union Canal at the village of Cosgrove, which was fascinating to see, although I had to walk my bike through it. Also followed a cycle path down the old abandoned railway line between Newport Pagnell and Wolverton, where I saw one of these "delivery bots" - it slowed down and pulled over as I approached it from behind (obviously the sensors thought I might run in to it), but I just took a photo of it and passed by. Wondering what it was delivering - hope it tasted good!

Despite taking 1.5 litres of fluids with me (the most I can fit on my frame), I still ran out at about the 55 mile mark and ended up stopping a few miles later to grab a cold bottle of water from a village store. And a can of Coke. And a Cornetto. Then promptly sat on the village green in the shade of a large tree and consumed the last two items before resuming the ride! Ended up getting home just over 6 hours after I'd left (including breaks).

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
I posted my 5th qualifying ride for 2021 yesterday and I’ve just noticed that I’d also done 5 rides by the 29th July last year. I only managed one more ride in August 2020 – I feel that I need to do at least 3 or 4 this August if I’m to have any chance of completing the Challenge this year. I’ve got another 90km ride planned for Monday – fingers crossed ..

Good luck to everyone else with this year’s Challenge. It’s still the best Challenge in the CC forum … and it’s woefully under-subscribed.

I'm on five too. Time is running out as I think the very latest I can do mine, from a daylight point of view, is early October. One a week: hmmm.....

I agree that this is the best CC challenge. The sheer flexibility makes it more challenging, to me anyway, than the monthly ones. I can only put off the monthly challenge I choose to do for a maximum of thirty days, whereas the Lunacy can be put off for months! And then there's the fact that the Lunacy shouldn't even be possible for the whole year (based on the original premise of "I don't do winter"). So I have about 6-7 months to do the thirteen rides: challenging!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've only done 2 so far! Number 3 was supposed to be tomorrow, but that has been put back by a week. I will be doing another with SoV in 3 weeks time. I need to get stuck in!

I do have the option of doing mind-numbing metric centuries on the local valley A-roads pretty much at any time of year, but the whole point was NOT to be doing that kind of thing, otherwise I could have been doing them on the MCAMC!

And I haven't even got ONE qualifying ride done for my Lunacy climbing challenge yet... :whistle:

You are making it even *more* challenging then...

Ah yes, the climbing one. I've done six and am hoping that I actually can do the rest in October, provided it doesn't get icy too early. There will have to be some repeats, including reversals, as I've run out of routes where it's actually possible to meet the rate of climb needed !

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You are making it even *more* challenging then...
Indeed!

Ah yes, the climbing one. I've done six and am hoping that I actually can do the rest in October, provided it doesn't get icy too early. There will have to be some repeats, including reversals, as I've run out of routes where it's actually possible to meet the rate of climb needed !
I have worked out a sane and appealing climbing route. My target was to do my 1,000 m in 40 km or under. This route is actually very close to 40 km, but I may have to add a few hundred metres to get the last few metres of ascent in. I am not going to discount the route though because it is such an obvious one from here - strenuous, scenic, and mainly on quiet roads.

steverob

Guru
While I am the furthest along in the challenge at the moment on nine rides (and hoping to make that ten this weekend), which should see me complete sometime mid-September based on current schedule, I feel that I've really only done six. That's because I've set myself this stretch goal of 65 miles - the distance target I had for the first edition of this challenge (which I failed to achieve) and I'm desperate to cross that off my list. With three of my qualifying rides so far coming in under 65 miles, this puts me up against it if like people above, I want to do this before the winter months kick in. I have kind of wasted July having only done one long ride, but the weather at weekends has been really bloody awkward the past few weeks and combine that with my horrific laziness and you have a recipe for only getting to do short distances.

aferris2

Guru
August is normally the month to get lots of good rides in because of the good weather. 2 separate bouts of self isolation in July and early August then lots of patchy rain has taken a good bite out of the good cycling days.
Managed my 9th ride of this years challenge today. Decided on the reverse Chelmsford route which seemed to be all up hill. Actually, I think this is the better way round - or was it the wind direction?

Double figures at last. Three to go makes me decidedly more optimistic that I'll finish the challenge this year. Weather permitting, I have five rides which exceed my 150km target planned and committed to - in so far as that's possible - in the next five weeks so it's promising.

August, which brings more cars than usual to the Dales, usually does have the redeeming feature of being warm and sunny; not this year. It probably makes longish, hillyish rides easier though, certainly in terms of liquid required, so I've taken advantage. Nonetheless, roll on September!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well done!

I'm heading the other way... :laugh:

Our Forest of Bowland ride later in the week will only be my 3rd. It is hard to see me getting another 10 in after that before the winter, but I'll see what I can do.

I'm hoping to get another trip to Devon in at the start of October. If the weather is ok it is feasible that I could get a couple of metric centuries in while I am there. The problem with that might be thorns from flailed roadside hedgerows - many of the roads I would ride might be covered in them at that time of year.

That's the 2021 Lunacy Challenge completed for me. I hadn't exactly intended to do eight of the rides in August, but I know I'm unlikely to do any beyond about mid September due to early sunsets, so I had to get on with it after not doing much in the mostly poor weather before August, not to mention other commitments when it actually wasn't raining.

That said, subject to weather in September, I may do some more and raise the number to 161km / 100 miles with a short out and back trip.

Good luck to everyone nearing completion. And I hope you get some suitable, relatively thorn-free conditions for a late sprint to the line, Colin!

Top Bottom