The annual summer hat thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Don't rub it in ...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Me too.

Like much more than 50% of the population, I've got a full head of hair. I'm my case it's appropriate to add the word "still". But for over half the world, that qualifier isn't relevant, because the condition is *male* pattern baldness. Yes, there are conditions which will cause women hair loss, but they're rare.

I now return you to your traditional CC grumpy middle aged men thread.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Even though I have a full head of hair I need to wear a hat in the sun due to being hyper sensitive to nice weather. My hat of choice is an unbranded circa 1980s US rapper style bucket hat.

Joffey

Big Dosser
As my fashion sense is firmly stuck in the 90's I will be sporting one of five Kangol bucket hats that I own. I'm mad for it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've got around 35 hats and helmets at the last count. Have been warned by my Dr. always to wear a hat especially on Africa trips, just walking between hotel, car and office can do damage. I've got an irritating solar keratosis on my head right now which I'm having zapped with nitrogen on Monday along with a couple on my arms and legs.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Factor 30 at the start of Summer and then factor 20. I always take a bandana cycling as sun cream stings the eyes! I have a bit of a selection of those. I also have a cricket hat that I had to get when the forecast clouds parted and I started to Cook, (bit of a cricket pun there to start the day).

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I wear a Panama for the sun. (Must get a new one as the heat melted the hat band glue last year in Malta). A Fedora for when it's a bit cooler. And a Ushanka for regular British summers.
I have a cheap Panama style hat I bought many years ago in Italy for when gardening.

Tim Hall

Amongst my hats are a couple of "kufi" type hats I got in Ghana. I have a large bonce, so they tend to perch on top of my head rather than fit it properly.
A couple of years ago at Scout camp I was wearing one while we were putting up tents. Lots of heaving and swinging of mallets.

After a while a leader from an adjoining site came over.:
"Can I ask you something?"
Heart sinks. What have my little dears been up to?
"How do you manage to keep that hat on with all that exertion?"

I haven't worn them for absolutely ages, but I do have two Akubra hats

One is the 'Snowy River', I can't even remember where I got it, I know there was (still is?) a dealer in Ilkley
I've probably had it 25 years??
http://www.akubra.co.uk/akubra-snowy-river-hat-santone-fawn.html

Seen here, in a picture with one of our (long deceased) Border Collies
Jack. 2.jpg

The other is, what they call the 'Sombrero'
Granted, mine looks nothing like this..............
https://akubra.com.au/collections/western/products/sombrero-fawn

Mine was supplied from a shop in Aus, via 'the net' (almost 20 years ago?) & was shaped, or 'bashed', as it's called into the Les Hiddins shape:okay:
Who, I guess some of you will have seen on TV over the years?
I don't even think I have a picture of it:unsure:
So...............

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_czeCgS4J4

Top Bottom