The Apprentice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
obviously the sport of channel surfing is a little more awkward on an analogue monochrome portable :smile:
[robot]er-er-er-does-not-com-pute[/robot]
who calls them monochrome? :biggrin: black and white!
Are you in IT?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Sorry....shamelessly love the Apprentice and loved last night too. The right bloke went! The cute bloke stayed...hurrah!

jonesy

Guru
NickM said:
I don't watch television, but from the conversation about this programme in my place of daily incarceration I gather that it is propaganda designed to encourage box-watchers to believe that unpleasant behaviour is perfectly normal and acceptable just as long as it results in the making of money.

The supplicants seem to be a bunch of vulgar gits who deserve whatever humiliation they get. As for the very unpleasant Sugar, I hope he gets a bunch of fives.

I that case I think you should watch it yourself: far from having their unpleasant behaviour endorsed, the obnoxious, arrogant, bullying ones usually come across very badly and get a rough time when they finally get fired and appear before the studio audience.

I did think that last night's crop were some of the most self-centred, vain, pompous smeg heads I've seen for a long time. I know they get egged on by the TV interviewers, but some of their self-promoting comments were priceless:

"There are only two types of people... winners, and, er, I can't bring myself to say the word.... " etc ad-nauseum

"I've never failed at anything, other than getting a B at GCSE, which felt like failure because everything else was As..."

"I felt like there was a rift between the educated people and salesmen..." :smile:

I can't guarantee to have quoted exactly, but hopefully convey the nauseating sense of self-importance these people have!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've got a lot of admiration for Alan Sugar. Left school without a qualification to his name and founded a business empire. I knew a few people who had business dealings with him and they say he is quite a laid back and humerous guy, nothing like the persona that is hammed up for TV.

He is also reputed to be as straight as a die to do business with and very loyal to suppliers who give good service rather than constantly chopping and changing to find a better deal. It is worth remembering that when he took over the chairmanship of Tottenham Hotspur and realised they had been less than frank with the Inland Revenue he turned the clubs books over to them straight away which cost the already cash strapped club a great deal of money.

Noodley

wafflycat said:
Can I admit I do not watch reality stuff?

The thought of Big Brother, Apprentice, Dragons' Den, I'm a Celebrity Whatever and all that stuff is a huge turn-off for me. Anytime I see adverts/trailers/news for and about them it's an instant change channel or switch off. The only one anything like that sort of thing I've enjoyed was 'Troubleshooter' many, many years ago, with Sir John Harvey-Jones sorting out businesses.

Give me anything with St David Of Attenborough in it and I'm glued to the screen.

You were doing so well, until you admitted to "Troubleshooter" :sad:

And although I like "David Edinburgh" (re-named by younger Noodlette) I would not get as excited as gluing myself to the telly :biggrin::blush::biggrin:

Noodley

I think I should apply...:sad::evil:

...be a bit "hard"...turn round, wink at the camera, vote someone out, design the studio, devise a diet for the fat bloke, shout a bit, try to be "hard"...say something "whacky"...cry...cry a bit more...hug someone...nope, I'd rather not :biggrin:

(edit - perhaps I should apply...)

Charlotte_C+ :-)

This quote from Alan is priceless!

"Nicholas you were devastated when you got a B in gcse french, your gonna be even more devastated now because you got a big F you`re fired!!" ;):biggrin:

wafflycat

Noodley said:
You were doing so well, until you admitted to "Troubleshooter" :wacko:

It's the little imperfection that makes me perfect :sad:

jonesy

Guru
I thought the £5k laundry job should have cost £200!

One thing (of many) that astonishes me about the clowns in this programme is how rarely they do anything remotely resembling project management. Now I won't pretend to be the world's most dedicated user of Gantt charts etc, but the Apprentices seem to spend no time at all discussing what the tasks are and identifying risks or developing even a rudimentary plan. Last night's ghastly 'project manager' just waded into the bit she thought she knew about, sales, and then screwed that up! Ever since I read 'Chart Throb' by Ben Elton I can't watch any programme like that without thinking about the cynical selection process, and the 'mingers', 'blingers' and 'clingers'...

Maz

Guru
I'd love to hear this at the end of an episode:

Sir Alan: Tell me why I shouldn't fire you?
Wannabe: Er, because you haven't hired me yet?

Top Bottom