The Armstrong Lie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think watching him just perpetuates his name.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
His biggest sin was bullying fellow pros whilst cynically denying the doping to everyone—because he could, because he was bringing a lot of money into professional cycling. He didn't participate in the season, instead training in secret and parachuting in to win another TdF. But his palmares looks very thin compared to, say, Merckx, who won 10 grand tours and a huge amount besides.
I'm not sure think his victories should have been struck out. That they were is probably justifiable revenge for his behaviour towards other pros. But everyone knows the story.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Heck! when i first saw this thread i thought that

1590877882677.png

had 'fessed up' to it being faked!!:unsure:

Edit..Just remembered, he's been dead about 5 years,so that would be hard for him to do.:tongue:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
......yeah but, Lance cycled right round the moon, he told me so
View attachment 526394
Just the one problem with that picture.
The tyres.

Drago

Legendary Member
Heck! when i first saw this thread i thought that

View attachment 526380

had 'fessed up' to it being faked!!:unsure:

Edit..Just remembered, he's been dead about 5 years,so that would be hard for him to do.:tongue:
Now there was a man! One of my heroes. Balls of steel, modest to an almost painful degree. It's a shame Lance doesn't possess the same quality of character.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
His biggest sin was bullying fellow pros whilst cynically denying the doping to everyone—because he could, because he was bringing a lot of money into professional cycling. He didn't participate in the season, instead training in secret and parachuting in to win another TdF. But his palmares looks very thin compared to, say, Merckx, who won 10 grand tours and a huge amount besides.
I'm not sure think his victories should have been struck out. That they were is probably justifiable revenge for his behaviour towards other pros. But everyone knows the story.
I always wonder if non-cyclists feel as let down by him.? You see him visiting really poorly kids in hospital, who clearly see him as a hero figure, they must have been gutted. I think they said he made $160m from his book after going on Oprah?
Still makes my blood boil years later:cursing:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Great doc
Loved when doped to tits Contador looks back at Lance who is doped to tits as well and breaks away to the tune of Manu Chao

View: https://youtu.be/mgdsjaA2dfs

I didnt really follow cycling at that time so I wasnt heartbroken like some when the truth came out, but it seems rather cynical to punish Armstrong and leave everyone else involved intact
Yeah, he is a deplorable human being but it wasnt like he was the only dirty rider

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Yebbut, professional cycling has always been 'dirty'. It's just been part of the culture, from brandy, cocaine to amphetamines to strychnine and beyond. As more money came into the sport, so doping got more 'professional'. It became technically illegal in the 60s, but it took a while before it was taken at all seriously. Even then, as Armstrong shows, there were ways.
I don't believe you will ever get a 'clean' professional sport. For the participants it's a living, a business. Just enjoy the spectacle for what it is.

Top Bottom