The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
what is your scone recipe? do you have one that uses wholemeal flour at all?
i tried some with wholemeal and plain flour but they were pretty dense. i find my dough going very sticky too, is that normal?
just trying to be healthy with the wholemeal

I just use a Mary Berry recipe and add flavourings based on guesswork/Google.

I've never tried wholemeal flour. The Mary Berry recipe says that the dough should be sticky - that helps to make them rise.

I did try a recipe that replaced some of the flour with oats but it wasn't a success. I should try that again sometime as I do like oaty things.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I find that I have to cut back on the wet ingredients a bit when using wholemeal or other similar flours - I guess that the water absorption of the flour is decreased due to the presence of the bran and germ. Either that or allow plenty of time for the flour to hydrate, so a decent rest period.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I find that I have to cut back on the wet ingredients a bit when using wholemeal or other similar flours - I guess that the water absorption of the flour is decreased due to the presence of the bran and germ. Either that or allow plenty of time for the flour to hydrate, so a decent rest period.

That’s odd.

All my bread recipes stipulate extra water with wholemeal flour because it absorbs more.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I did try a recipe that replaced some of the flour with oats but it wasn't a success. I should try that again sometime as I do like oaty things.

My mother used to make scones with oatmeal - I imagine a mix of normal scone flour plus oatmeal, ie fine oatmeal - not pinhead.

Not sure what you meant above by "oats" .. but I doubt if oat flakes, for example, would work.

I've no idea what proportion of oatmeal she used in the mix .. but if you can't find a recipe, let me know and I'll see if my sister knows (she has my mother's - and my grandmother's - recipe books).

simongt

Guru
I have wild garlic in the garden and it's a cold, wet afternoon so I might as well make some scones.
Minds me of the occasion when, many years ago, my ex made a courgette cake; same as a carrot cake, but using courgettes. Tasted fine, but when my younger son; about ten at the time looked at it, he said 'Mum, did you sneeze when you were making this - ?' :eek:
Didn't go down too well - ! :rofl:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
My mother used to make scones with oatmeal - I imagine a mix of normal scone flour plus oatmeal, ie fine oatmeal - not pinhead.

Not sure what you meant above by "oats" .. but I doubt if oat flakes, for example, would work.

I've no idea what proportion of oatmeal she used in the mix .. but if you can't find a recipe, let me know and I'll see if my sister knows (she has my mother's - and my grandmother's - recipe books).

It was rolled oats - I think it might have been this recipe. If I remember rightly I thought the oven temperature was a bit low.

Top Bottom