The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've had better results (in terms of rise) from my cheese scones in the past but these still taste fab.

20220601_122715.jpg

Recipe is from Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

How much cheese and chilli did you put in?

I've been trying to get a cheese and chilli something like good for ages. They never seem to pack the punch of a commercial loaf. I think I wimp out on the chilli.

I used 75g of Somerset Crunch Cheddar (from Morrisons) and 6-8 slices of jalapeños (jar of Freshbona from Lidl, decent heat). Bear in mind that’s for a small, 1lb loaf not a standard 2lb.

I cube the cheese fairly small, maybe 3mm and add a good grating of fresh parmesan, plus a little more on top just before baking.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I used 75g of Somerset Crunch Cheddar (from Morrisons) and 6-8 slices of jalapeños (jar of Freshbona from Lidl, decent heat). Bear in mind that’s for a small, 1lb loaf not a standard 2lb.

I cube the cheese fairly small, maybe 3mm and add a good grating of fresh parmesan, plus a little more on top just before baking.

I know it's not " proper " baking as such, but when I first got a bread machine I tried various ready mixed bags. There was a Cheese and Chilli one that I used to get from Waitrose which was very good. I used to chuck a palmful of mixed herbs into the mix and that worked really well.

Just got a honey & caraway seed rye in the oven for a friend's birthday gift.

She prefers a loaf of bread to a birthday cake... :blush:

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

I forgot to post this bread I made last week. I was after something different and came up with a caraway seed, fennel seed and ground coriander loaf. (When I googled it later, I discovered I wasn’t the first.)

By ‘eck it’s a terrific flavour combination.

I shall be making this again. Lots.

(The miniature loaves are little taste testers I give to neighbours to see if they like it, then I'll make a normal one if it gets approval.)

20220610_133054.jpg

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Just as a follow up to those biscotti 👆, and in case anyone is thinking of making them, they don’t have any snap to them. They are slightly soft, with a texture and flavour more akin to a fig roll.

They were very nice though and the 32 biscuits lasted all of three days.

Top Bottom