The bank of Grandad.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
A month doesn't go by without one of the grand children or children asking me to lend them some money until the end of the month. I would like to know why do they assume that I always have it for them? I never ask any of them to lend me money because I run my finances properly. One of the grandchildren still owes me £2450 , which I will never get back as he said he is not paying me back anymore when I refused to lend him more.
Do we have a generation of kids that believe that money grows on trees and parents / grand parents are easy picking?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A month doesn't go by without one of the grand children or children asking me to lend them some money until the end of the month. I would like to know why do they assume that I always have it for them? I never ask any of them to lend me money because I run my finances properly. One of the grandchildren still owes me £2450 , which I will never get back as he said he is not paying me back anymore when I refused to lend him more.
Do we have a generation of kids that believe that money grows on trees and parents / grand parents are easy picking?
Surely thats down to not bringing up the kids properly.:wacko:

Spare the rod and spoil the child.
You should have said no at the beginning.
They are parent's responsibility, not yours.
(Says a man with no leech like kids/grandkids )

Drago

Legendary Member
My oldest daughter is probably a fair bit wealthier than me by a good margin (she's owned more new Porshes that I ever have), she's never asked.

Daughter 2 is an unemployed dole mole, and if she asked she wouldn't get.

I lent Daughter £10k to put down on a house, and my Dad matched it. She's a newly qualified accountant and earning very nicely now. She'd paid about half back, never missed a payment and proven to me her honesty and ethics, so me and my Dad each told her she could have the rest as a gift.

My oldest grandchild is still only 7, so hasn't asked me for any...yet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My nephew stole from his Gran. He only apologised after a year or two having found him out. He was taking the £5's that his nan used to stash over the house. Added up to hundreds. He's never paid it back.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Surely you’ve raised This with your own children.
Why are they bypassing their parents and coming to you.
If I did something like that behind my parents back they would have been mortified.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Give generously to grand children At birthdays and Christmas if you can afford it, but don’t act as their personal bank.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

I'd suggest that their parent (your child) should know. No finance for them or their kids any more until it's all paid back, and in full.

It's a tough lesson they should have learnt by now. Clearly they haven't learnt to manage finances appropriately. If you don't have the money, don't buy stuff you don't need.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Sounds to me that you have been taken advantage of by the selfish grabbing grandchildren as you couldn't say no at the first episode.
What are their parents doing, or are they the ones sending their kids to you in the first place?
A bit of a reality check is in order for them. You may have to write off the debt from the grandson, but tell him no more. Also, as others have said, find out if your kids, their parents know what is happening. Good luck.

vickster

Legendary Member
Surely you’ve raised This with your own children.
Why are they bypassing their parents and coming to you.
If I did something like that behind my parents back they would have been mortified.
Maybe the parents are encouraging it...ask your grandfather, not us, to lend you the money (As above)

How old are these grandchildren, if adults are they working?

Top Bottom