The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hornchurch

The Dremels appear to have an issue with the coil wire on the stator.
It's a fairly easy fix but hopefully mine will be covered under warranty. It's just a PITA having to sort it out.

I never would've wanted to've split my//our Dremel apart, simply because I'd only used it seven-times

Back when MINE (both) went "tits-up", I was furious, as they BOTH had such little use AND had been 'mollycoddled' too (from 'new')

No-one (back then) paid £70.00 (to Argos), expecting them to "break" (pack-up) during only their 7th use

Cleaning "wet bird guano" ($hit) off of a Parrots perch is hardly a demanding-task for a 'new' (newish) machine.

As I'd used it SO sparingly, by the time the 7th useage//task had arrived, the B'strd was just ONE MONTH out of warranty !!!!!

Frustrated to hell, that night, I went onto various D.i.Y forums & MOST were slagging-off Dremel in general, over those tools.

General concensus was...... "Dremel ARE (were, then) Trading on their earlier well-formed reputation"

I got the impression that the whole caboodle//operation had moved to the Far-East (cheaper) & "gone downhill".

If the one that I bought NEW from Argos was anything to go by (Q.C wise), then I could see why they were slating it.

Never could fathom "HOW" a factory-sealed boxed job (one) could turn-up with it's three-pin-UK plug bent, from new.

As it came (new, from sealed box), the plug would NOT go into any wall-socket - the bend (bent pin) had been bent THAT much !

I was able to live with that, but, when the (w.a.n.k) motor just gave-up, pathetically, I was incensed !

The (now, two), "VON HAUS" dremels (for want of a better description) are nothing short of "fantastic" & "phenominal"

Sir! It's Squier!

Sorry D.C.B - You're dead-right & so, my apologies !

I've even got TWO Squires, soz, I mean "Squier"s myself.

One's an Indonesian "Squier" Stratocaster (1998//1999 model), which surprised me just how GOOD it was**

**(minus of course the fairly rubbish 'chrome hardware' such as tuners)

The other is (again, same vintage, bought 'new'), a "Squier" P-Bass Special

Being Left-Handed of course, I didn't get a choice of colours (unlike some !) back then

It was...... "Would Sir like Sunburst, Sunburst, Sunburst, Sunburst, or maybe perhaps, Sunburst ?"

(Me) ; "Erm, yeah, Erm, RIGHT - I guess I'll just have to put up with Sunburst AGAIN then, please (Yawns politely)

The Indonesian Strat' is at least a TWO tone Sunburst, rather than a THREE

As for the Bass - It wuz my first Bass ever - Liked the 'Precision' shaped body, but with more choice of Pickups.

I later went on to buy TWO more basses (although I'm NOT a Bass-player), one Mexican & one Japanese (Fender)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I’ve watched a few of the videos in the link, what he does explain is what products are needed to give a good finish, and more importantly what not to use, I suppose you could sand it down, use some sanding sealer and then paint it, but one tip was to use boiled linseed on the neck after sanding it smooth, to give a silky smooth finish, but not to use linseed oil as it just does not dry

After sanding all the glossy varnish off my bass neck, I put some satin finish furniture wax on it that i picked up from Aldi... it's got a lovely finish now :okay:

winjim

Smash the cistern
After sanding all the glossy varnish off my bass neck, I put some satin finish furniture wax on it that i picked up from Aldi... it's got a lovely finish now :okay:

I've got various waxes and oils left over from when we had a real wooden worktop and were trying to protect it from water damage, so there are options.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I understand that so-called 'relic' finishes are all the rage these days so maybe there's no need to be too concerned about quality and consistency. :becool:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I understand that so-called 'relic' finishes are all the rage these days so maybe there's no need to be too concerned about quality and consistency. :becool:

When I was looking at those kit guitars I read one review that said they're great for getting a 'relic' finish because the wood's so soft that the slightest knock gives you a massive dent in it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
When I was looking at those kit guitars I read one review that said they're great for getting a 'relic' finish because the wood's so soft that the slightest knock gives you a massive dent in it.

Even proper hardwood is easy to damage when it's untreated and being worked on. You've just got to be careful, use a blanket, have infinite patience and be prepared to find scratches and dings where there weren't any five minutes ago, and spend an age sanding them all out... only to find another. Don't ask me how i know this :whistle:

Badger_Boom

Über Member

Even proper hardwood is easy to damage when it's untreated and being worked on. You've just got to be careful, use a blanket, have infinite patience and be prepared to find scratches and dings where there weren't any five minutes ago, and spend an age sanding them all out... only to find another. Don't ask me how i know this :whistle:
My current instrument is a super cheap Squier Stratocaster. The body seems to be made of balsawood and has a couple of deep dings from where it’s been less than gently treated. The finish seems to be pretty sensitive to anything but the lightest of touches.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I spent last night online trying to find a short scale guitar kit as that might be more appropriate for a kid, and if she doesn't want it then fun for me. Couldn't find anything, StewMac do a really tiny 16.5" scale Strat, Tele or Les Paul but I'd have to get it shipped from the US.

So, despite my earlier post I haven't gone for the Tele kit, I've ordered the Harley Benton CST which is the PRS copy. No scratchplate so it's a nice big surface if she wants to paint it, sensible shaped headstock so no jigsawing needed, single volume and tone knobs so still easy to wire up and explain to a kid and I figured that cheap humbuckers are probably better sounding and less hummy than cheap single coils. And it's got a slightly shorter scale length which might help if she wants to play it but TBH if she does show a proper interest then I'll probably end up getting her a cheap short scale.

Anyway, that's our rainy day summer holiday project sorted, just need to wait for it to arrive.

After my Tascam MP-BT1 bass trainer dies last year, I was unable to afford anything comparable, so after some research, came up with a cheap, usable, but clunky solution using a Yamaha Sessioncake. Then, a few days ago, completely out of the blue, a Basschat member messaged me to say he'd got a no-longer-used MP-BT1 just sitting in the cupboard. He sent it to me completely free of charge. Including an unused PSU, too.
A very generous man!

I spent last night online trying to find a short scale guitar kit as that might be more appropriate for a kid, and if she doesn't want it then fun for me. Couldn't find anything, StewMac do a really tiny 16.5" scale Strat, Tele or Les Paul but I'd have to get it shipped from the US.

So, despite my earlier post I haven't gone for the Tele kit, I've ordered the Harley Benton CST which is the PRS copy. No scratchplate so it's a nice big surface if she wants to paint it, sensible shaped headstock so no jigsawing needed, single volume and tone knobs so still easy to wire up and explain to a kid and I figured that cheap humbuckers are probably better sounding and less hummy than cheap single coils. And it's got a slightly shorter scale length which might help if she wants to play it but TBH if she does show a proper interest then I'll probably end up getting her a cheap short scale.

Anyway, that's our rainy day summer holiday project sorted, just need to wait for it to arrive.

Funnily enough, a Harley Benton and appeared on my Facebook this morning, and I liked the look of the PRS lookalike, mainly because the headstock is pre cut.
But, since I have just shelled out £180 on a new solid electric ukulele, I won't be buying a guitar kit any time soon! (The uke is to replace my current one, on which the electrics are getting temperamental, and the first four frets are worn very nearly down to the fingerboard.....)
The new one won't get here in time for Saturday's band gig, but it should be here by the next one on Wednesday week.🤞

winjim

Smash the cistern
Funnily enough, a Harley Benton and appeared on my Facebook this morning, and I liked the look of the PRS lookalike, mainly because the headstock is pre cut.
But, since I have just shelled out £180 on a new solid electric ukulele, I won't be buying a guitar kit any time soon! (The uke is to replace my current one, on which the electrics are getting temperamental, and the first four frets are worn very nearly down to the fingerboard.....)
The new one won't get here in time for Saturday's band gig, but it should be here by the next one on Wednesday week.🤞

I like the way HB advertise those Tele, Strat and Jag uncut headstocks as a selling point. 'What’s really cool is that you can shape the headstock to suit your own personal style'. Yeah, like we can't all see why you've done that guys...

Obviously I'll be throwing this kit together with a 7yo rather than taking any time and care but I'll let you know if I think it's worth it. From reviews I think there are some QC issues but we'll see. I didn't go for the trem version because that's asking for trouble. I also might end up buying a cheap ukulele for the 3yo if he starts complaining that he didn't get to build anything or if the 7yo gets possessive about it.

DRM

Guru
I’ve decided to get the Harley Benton Jazzmaster kit, ordered it this morning, I’m now contemplating what shade of stain to use that’ll match the tortoiseshell pick guard, I’m thinking the neck in a caramel shade and the body in a darker reddish brown, decisions, decisions, it may change if I see some thing else suitable

winjim

Smash the cistern
I’ve decided to get the Harley Benton Jazzmaster kit, ordered it this morning, I’m now contemplating what shade of stain to use that’ll match the tortoiseshell pick guard, I’m thinking the neck in a caramel shade and the body in a darker reddish brown, decisions, decisions, it may change if I see some thing else suitable

I quite like the baby blue ones. Are you sanding and staining, or painting it? And what's your 'personal style' for the headstock?

I've also been considering a valve amp kit because I like to go ridiculously all in on things, but I see the valves are made in Russia so that's out of the question.

Reactions: DRM

DRM

Guru
I quite like the baby blue ones. Are you sanding and staining, or painting it? And what's your 'personal style' for the headstock?

I've also been considering a valve amp kit because I like to go ridiculously all in on things, but I see the valves are made in Russia so that's out of the question.

I’ll do a copy of the Fender version I think, as I can get a coping saw for just a few pounds, I’ve already got a Dremel style tool to flat and smooth the the edges, as for the finish I may sand the whole thing, use some black stain first, sand it back again to accent the grain, then put the final colour stain over that, then lacquer it, not sure what colour yet, but I like the caramel colour for the neck and headstock though, it’s just a case of choosing a colour that suits the pickguard, but things may change, the surf green paint finish looks good too

Top Bottom