The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It’s not too bad on the electric guitar, but on the acoustic it was nigh on impossible to begin with, but I believe that it’s always much easier on an electric due to the lighter strings and lower action, in fact some of the online instructors are saying to get an electric guitar to begin with, rather than an acoustic as it’s easier to start learning on.
the other thing I’ve noticed was sometimes open chords sounded out of tune, this has turned out to be technique on my part, namely pressing down far too hard and pulling the strings out of tune, so I’m now trying to use as light a touch as possible, but all in all I think it’s pretty decent progress in the 10 months or so of learning

I put 8s on my kit guitar and I only need to look at the strings for them to go sharp. My cheap Jim Dunlop capo is useless although my nice Keyser seems to fare better. I'm trying to use it as an exercise in playing a bit more delicately, it takes a surprisingly light touch even compared to my other electric with 9s on it.

Seevio

Guru
I recently found the Kiesel custom guitar builder website and next time I have a few grand that I have no other use for, I know what I'm buying.
Here's one I prepared earlier...
kieselfront.jpg

kieselback.jpg

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
On the subject of Kiesel, how about David Maxim Micic's nylon stringed fretless electric guitar? Looks beautiful and wrong at the same time.

View: https://twitter.com/davidmaximmicic/status/1415553052073996295?t=I23FZY6Sx2v1u3g9bS5KAw&s=19

What with the new Polyphia stuff, is everyone playing nylon these days?

Puts me in mind of that Beatles song ‘Isn’t it good Norwegian wood’. 70’s? When that look was the all the rage.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Puts me in mind of that Beatles song ‘Isn’t it good Norwegian wood’. 70’s? When that look was the all the rage.

I like the comment in the thread, it's like looking at a person with no eyes. With the grain on the fingerboard and no frets it just looks somehow wrong. But yeah, also like interior wood panelling.

There's a video on twitter of him playing it with a bow. That's progressive metal for you.

GuyBoden

Guru
Those headless designs just look odd to me. I'll bet it doesn't play any better than a Harley Benton :smile:

I've played Kiesel guitars, the Allan Holdsworth model, one of the best necks I've played, the setup can be very, very low, less than 1mm at the 24th fret. It has a Flat radius fretboard, which I like too.

The Kiesel AH guitar is a great guitar to play, very well balanced, due to no headstock. The body is chambered, so very, very light too.

The trouble is, not all custom guitars are equal. Early 2000s, and I was playing a Fender Precision Bass Sting model, crafted in Japan. Glorious, wish I still had it. Went to the Fender stand at the London Guitar Show and was given a Custom Shop 55 Time Machine NOS, a reproduction of a new instrument, none of this relic nonsense. It was a dog compared to the Sting.

Top Bottom