The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Only just discovered this thread and have been having some helpful advice from @DCBassman , thanks DC.
Played six string years ago but thought I might take up Bass. Trouble is getting the gear here, plenty of Givsons and fake Fenders but not much else and anything new is two to three times UK price. Anyway I found a old Fernandes from the nineties I think, it's a Revolver FRB-40 I've found out and it's not bad despite being rather knocked about but okay for fifty quid. Made in Japan and DC reckons they're okay.

Ordered a Blackstar Fly 3 Bass and D'Addario strings, a tuner and a few other bits which I picked up yesterday. I'll give you a run down in the next post.

Last edited:

delb0y

Legendary Member
I actually worked out a bass line this morning! It's from an old jazz / pop tune called I Saw Stars and over Xmas I worked out the (simple) guitar solo and now I wanted to figure out the chords. Step one is to get the bass line and from there, with the solo I should be able to get the chords.

The version I've been using is by Dave Barbour who was once married to Peggy Lee. I only worked out the easy bass bit at the beginning, just after the piano intro.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Ru-leQiBY&feature=youtu.be

wisdom

Guru
I started learning guitar last year.
Telecaster was the one in the shop that suited me better.
But by heck it's hard to learn.I keep progressing a bit then several steps backwards.Lessons arent a financial viable option at the moment.So I am using andyguitar on u tube.Does anyone have any pointers please.I have been set a family challenge of 3 rock type songs for a family barbecue in July.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Any rock songs in particular, Wisdom? There are plenty that aren't too difficult - although it depends on whether you want to play just the chords, or chords and riffs, or chords riffs and solos... I'd say if you're targeting July then focus on chords, and maybe simple riffs.

Telecaster is a great choice!

wisdom

Guru
I would welcome any suggestions.
Chords and riffs sound ideal.
Thanks for the reply.Its certainly a lot more difficult than I expected.:laugh:

delb0y

Legendary Member
How about Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams for a starter? Only a few simple chords. Nice song to learn because it's easy to get under your belt and then you're on your way.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I would welcome any suggestions.
Chords and riffs sound ideal.
Thanks for the reply.Its certainly a lot more difficult than I expected.:laugh:
Beatles "Twist and Shout" is a easy one, just three chords D, G and A and easily recognisable. Simple riff intro which you can learn.

Learning is not easy, you need plenty of practice and it takes time for your finger ends to toughen up. I learnt with Bert Weedon's "Play in a Day", took me about six months :laugh:.

Last edited:

sight-pin

Veteran
House of the rising Sun by the Animals is fairly simple. chords are: Am, C, D, F, Am, C, E... Am, C, D, F, Am, E, Am. If you slowly down then upstroke each chord, the tune will fall into place.

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I can recommend the Ultimate Guitar Chords and Tabs app. Great way to learn your favourite tunes. Chordify website is also good - it plays the song with the chords along the top and you play along.

On YouTube, I found JustinGuitar and MartyMusic helpful. Lots of inspiring guitarists on YouTube too, though I especially like Josh Turner Guitar.

OH bought himself a Tele a few months ago. They have a beautiful, light tone. My best advice would be to keep your guitar and a mini amp next to the sofa - it really encourages you to play, even just for five minutes, because if it is packed away in a case in a back room or upstairs, you are far less likely to make time to practise. It's what psychologists call the Strategy of Convenience and it really works.

My best advice would be to keep your guitar and a mini amp next to the sofa - it really encourages you to play, even just for five minutes, because if it is packed away in a case in a back room or upstairs, you are far less likely to make time to practise. It's what psychologists call the Strategy of Convenience and it really works.
Yes, this. Nothing worse than a guitar stuck in a cupboard!

Top Bottom