The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxford Dave

I've played at the Trades Club a couple of times, and will be there again in mid May. No one has suggested we have been too loud, even with two drummers in the band. The sound crew there is very good, and always want the stage volume fairly low so they can control the mix properly for the front of house sound (as do all competent sound engineers).
Last night's gig was just a pub gig, and as always I keep an eye on the bar - if the staff are struggling to hear what the customers are trying to order, then the band is too loud. We had quite a few of the people there come and dance right in front of the band, while I could see others stood at the bar having conversations without apparent difficulty.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
my little finger's 3.5cm shorter than the one next to it.
Maybe my fingers are relatively 'normal' after all! :laugh:

Simple fact is, barre chords are hard to begin with. Some players (Jimi Hendrix, David Byrne and Wilko johnson) tend to barre the bottom (E and A) strings by hooking their thumb over the top of the neck rather than using their index finger as the barre. Might be worth try. There'll be a time when you'll need to play an F major.
That is ok on slim-necked electric guitars and probably would be on my Tanglewood acoustic which has a narrow-ish neck, but it isn't suitable for the wide neck on my classical guitar. I'll 'do a Boden' for now (see above) but learn how to do barres properly eventually.

Well, I picked up the parcel containing my Snark tuner from the Amazon lockers at Tod station. I go to that station every weekday to pick up a copy of the Metro (for its cryptic crossword) but I have never noticed the existence of the lockers. It turns out that they are hidden away round the other side of the station building, next to the car park. Anyway, it will be very handy for me in future - I can go on all-day rides and not have to worry about being in when Amazon parcels are due to be delivered.

The tuner is pleasingly tiny. I will probably leave it on the guitar at all times. (If I take it off I will probably lose it or tread on it!)

I just tested the new tuner... It is very easy to use in its standard mode. That worked really well, except for a slight tendency for it to glitch from an indicated E to an A on the top string. I'll experiment with moving the clamp position and muting other strings to see if that makes a difference. It isn't a showstopper because I can just ignore the A glitches and tune to the E reading.

I compared the tuning to what the old tuner indicated and it is about 3 cents flatter if I stop sharpening the strings as soon as the Snark indicates that the note is right. There is probably scope to go a little higher without the Snark showing sharp.

I had a go with 'Hz mode'. It is interesting being able to see an actual frequency value but it shouldn't really be needed and I may not bother with it most of the time. The tuner is strict about tuning order in this mode. In standard mode it just tells you what note you are playing, independent of string. In Hz mode you have to work up from the bottom string (on a bass you must work down from the top string). If you play the strings in the wrong order, it gets confused. I did that several times before noticing my mistake. Make sure that you pluck the right strings in the right order or you will have to start again.

Finally, ColinJ's mnemonics for standard guitar string frequencies:
  1. First string. It is the most bass string and I would guess that it is around 80 Hz. In fact it should be 82.4 Hz. Remember it as 8 = 2 x 4.
  2. Second string, second team, second eleven; the second string is frequency is higher than 82.4 Hz and begins with 11 - 110.0 Hz.
  3. Third string, a bit higher than 110 Hz but it won't be as high 200 Hz, so it begins with a '1', and it is followed by a simple series - '4', '6', 8' - 146.8 Hz .
  4. Fourth string is heading towards the magic 200 Hz but in fact string 4 is 4 Hz lower - 196.0 Hz.
  5. Fifth string... 'fifth columnists' accused of undermining Trump almost 24/7; almost 247 Hz - 246.9 Hz.
  6. Sixth string frequency is 2 octaves above first string = 2 x 2 x 82.4 = 329.6 Hz.

Alternatively... you could just cut out the little cardboard frequency chart supplied with the tuner and fix it to the headstock using the tuner clamp! :whistle: :laugh:

ColinJ

I've played at the Trades Club a couple of times, and will be there again in mid May. No one has suggested we have been too loud, even with two drummers in the band. The sound crew there is very good, and always want the stage volume fairly low so they can control the mix properly for the front of house sound (as do all competent sound engineers).
It was about 10 years ago so maybe things have improved. Honestly though, not being able to hear a thrashed drumkit at 10 paces! :wacko:

I felt a hand on my shoulder. A friend was trying to speak to me. I couldn't hear him. He leaned over and shouted directly into my ear. I STILL couldn't hear him. In the end he pointed at my glass, the bar, and mouthed DO - YOU - WANT - ANOTHER - DRINK?

Too loud, man! My ears were ringing for 2 days. I'd had a hearing test done 10 years before that and it was already pretty poor. There are certain frequencies in the normal audible range that I can't hear at all...

I was working with some digital audio equipment once and created havoc in the open plan office. My gear was connected through a powerful amp to some very efficient speakers. Apparently, the audio processor had crashed and was outputting a very powerful tone beyond my range of hearing which was distressing every young pair of ears within range!

After that latter episode, I did a DIY hearing test using a tone generator and a pair of high quality headphones. I swept the tone from 20 Hz to 20 kHz and plotted the results. I saw the expected HF rolloff, but was shocked to discover that I was deaf at certain intermediate frequencies! I was paying the price for ignoring warnings about listening to music at very levels when I was a teenager.

Let us know next time you are playing at the Trades and I'll see if I can get over to watch.

Last night's gig was just a pub gig, and as always I keep an eye on the bar - if the staff are struggling to hear what the customers are trying to order, then the band is too loud. We had quite a few of the people there come and dance right in front of the band, while I could see others stood at the bar having conversations without apparent difficulty.
Yes, that's how it should be! We couldn't even hear each other speaking a further 20 feet beyond the bar, which was between us and the musicians. I can't see why somebody singing folk songs feels the need to deafen the audience...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Maybe my fingers are relatively 'normal' after all! :laugh:

That is ok on slim-necked electric guitars and probably would be on my Tanglewood acoustic which has a narrow-ish neck, but it isn't suitable for the wide neck on my classical guitar. I'll 'do a Boden' for now (see above) but learn how to do barres properly eventually.

Thing is, I can't do the thumb over the top method at all... I have relatively large hands and my electric and acoustic both have quite thin necks... I've tried and tried and it just feels wrong to me but watching Byrne or Johnson playing that way, it looks so right (especially in the case of Wilko Johnson who's style seems to revolve around throttling the neck like that). Thought I'd mention it because not everyone gets on with playing barre chords properly... more than one way to skin a cat and all that.

Open tunings can be fun to play with too... I hardly played my acoustic until i put it in open D and it's not been in standard tuning since.

delb0y

Legendary Member
The last gig I went to (just a pub gig) the band was so loud most people, including me, listened from the other room. Was a good band, full of good and experienced players, they just like to belt it out.

Here's something I recorded yesterday. A cover of JJ Cale's beautiful song "Magnolia". I just recorded it directed into the laptop in my front room and layered a few tracks to build up (hopefully) a lush sound.

Magnolia

Cheers
Derek

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Music to have teeth pulled to...

Actually, I really DO use Hawkwind's music to have teeth pulled out (or drilled) to! I hate going to the dentist so I blast myself with Doremi Fasol Latido as a distraction from the horrors that are being done to me... :smile:

I used to play in a Hawkwind Tribute band, Assassins of Silence, we did loads of gigs where maybe five or even six people might turn up, possibly even stay.

ColinJ

Today I've been doing a bit of Roxy Music, then tried to figure out the bassline to She's Not There, which is an utter bar steward to play.
Funny you should say that... I was looking for my Roxy Music CD to listen to while on the turbo trainer but I can't find it! I reckon somebody has 'borrowed' it...

Is that She's Not There as in the old Zombies song?

I always liked that song.

ColinJ

Actually... I'm wondering if I ever owned the Roxy Music CD in question! I had most of their albums on vinyl but I gave away my entire record collection when I switched to CD. I thought I had bought the first album again, but perhaps I didn't.

Top Bottom