The battle of style v. substance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Def gonna do that - just wanted the pleasure of putting them on myself ;)
ah you may revise your opinion on the pleasure.

I, like many, would recommend SKS guards.

But they can be a notorious faff to fit with minimal instructions.

Allow several hours to fit them, take it slowly - once fitted they are really solid.

Decathlon had some nice ones in black for tyres up to 28mm for not much more than £12 recently - may have sold up and gone to the normal price of £20 or more.

vickster

Legendary Member
Several hours of faff when Halfords will fit full guards for £8 (and they price match the purchase price)
(Or ask the supplying LBS)

Several hours of faff when Halfords will fit full guards for £8 (and they price match the purchase price)
(Or ask the supplying LBS)
still think it's best to do stuff yourself vickster.
Evans fitted the guards on my dale when I bought it in their Gatwick sale a few years ago.
I could tell the guy was struggling as he fitted them.
Later figured out that he'd seriously buggered something up.

vickster

Legendary Member
Evans fitted the guards on my dale when I bought it in their Gatwick sale a few years ago.
I could tell the guy was struggling as he fitted them.
Later figured out that he'd seriously buggered something up.
No chance when it comes to mudguards! Can't be dealing with that nonsense. I work so I don't have to. I'd rather spend those two hours cycling ;)

hoopdriver

Guru
Yes, mudguards are no fun. The guards on my old tourer are really ratty and a couple of years ago I bought new ones to replace them. But I keep putting off the job. It is such a faff.

I agree with this in principle, but I'm with @vickster for mudguards. I think you should know how to fix things that go wrong with your bike, so you can get home if that is possible when something goes wrong, and so you know your bike is in good working order generally.

Mudguards, however, are different. They are a bitch to fit (mostly) and if they go wrong on a ride, the fix is to remove them. No deep skill required.

@atalanta, if you are ok with fixing punctures, fitting tyres, adjusting brakes, replacing brake blocks, replacing cables, adjusting gears (etc), then try your hand at fitting mudguards. If not, concentrate on learning those skills and pay someone to fix the mudguards.

(I eventually took on bike maintenance when my folder was returned to me 3 times with basic things not done. The first 2 times it was bolts not properly tightened - bolts that were specific to my particular model of folder. So I took it for service to a shop that sold that model, and ended up getting a new rear wheel, derailleur and cassette, and found they hadn't set the HI-LO limiters correctly, something so fundamental I still regret not reporting to the shop owner. Bottom line, I realised that to make myself safe, I had to service it myself. That does not extend to mudguards :smile: )

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you enjoy fettling and fiddling do it yourself, if not give it to a shop, simples.
If you're fussy though they might not do it to the standard you might expect.

If you enjoy fettling and fiddling do it yourself, if not give it to a shop, simples.
If you're fussy though they might not do it to the standard you might expect.
I didn't say what the specific problem was with the evans fitting. The mechanic was under pressure because of the situation, but essentially to force the guards to fit he really buggered the screw to such an extent that I later had to have it drilled out of an expensive frame. With the hole then bigger I had to use a bolt and washer bodge to get new guards to fit.
Thanks for the credit above jef but hard to imagine me leaving mudguards by the side of the road. Recently had a rub when fully loaded off on tour to get a train - sorted it. Duct tape and zip ties are your friend. Sks guards are, despite issues, excellent. If you want to deter thieves you can repair them for years with duct tape.

Top Bottom