The battle of style v. substance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
atalanta

atalanta

Ah, like this thing.
dougalbike.jpg

OP
OP
atalanta

atalanta

I didn't recommend that decathlon bike, just consider decathlon a generally decent company. The reason i am suspicious of the other bike (and on looking at the decathlon that as well) is that it just says "steel" rather than anything more specific.
Ah you're right, sorry. I got your post mixed up with @jefmcg.

Ah you're right, sorry. I got your post mixed up with @jefmcg.
;)

Mine wasn't a "this is great bike" but this is a very cheap way to get you on the road until you know what you want or the sales start at the end of summer.

You should not wait for the sales to buy, don't miss a whole season of cycling to save a few hundred dollars pounds.

Edit: I've only been living in the UK for 18 years, I can't be expected to remember what currency we use. :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
atalanta

atalanta

;)

Mine wasn't a "this is great bike" but this is a very cheap way to get you on the road until you know what you want or the sales start at the end of summer.

You should not wait for the sales to buy, don't miss a whole season of cycling to save a few hundred dollars pounds.

Edit: I've only been living in the UK for 18 years, I can't be expected to remember what currency we use. :smile:

Hey, another transplant! I still revert to "bucks" sometimes.

I definitely wanna get out there for the bulk of the summer. My head is starting to spin with all the information available, though. Is "high tensile steel" the kind of steel I should be looking at? I found this one which looks pretty steady: https://www.bikeexchange.com/a/hybrid-bikes/6ku/ca/irvine/odyssey-mens-8-speed-hybrid/106378805

More seriously. You've got a flat commute. There are probably ... I don't know ...a thousand different bikes* on sale in London that will do the job. You literally can't find the perfect one. There is no such thing. I'd say something that makes you smile, it's ridiculous or over priced for the spec, and buy it. Go cheap, and buy again later as your needs change, or spend more money and guess what you will want.

Honestly, unless you buy ... something that has been stolen, or is a Time Trial bike, it's really hard to go very wrong.

* eg, every single configuration that Brompton sell would be great for you. Only downside is you'd be spending at least £500 more than you'd need to for a non-folding bike.

OP
OP
atalanta

atalanta

More seriously. You've got a flat commute. There are probably ... I don't know ...a thousand different bikes* on sale in London that will do the job. You literally can't find the perfect one. There is no such thing. I'd say something that makes you smile, it's ridiculous or over priced for the spec, and buy it. Go cheap, and buy again later as your needs change, or spend more money and guess what you will want.

Honestly, unless you buy ... something that has been stolen, or is a Time Trial bike, it's really hard to go very wrong.

* eg, every single configuration that Brompton sell would be great for you. Only downside is you'd be spending at least £500 more than you'd need to for a non-folding bike.
Can you tell I'm an over-thinker by nature? :blush: Thanks so much for your input. Really appreciate it. Gonna get out there tomorrow and really start looking without obsessing...!

. Is "high tensile steel" the kind of steel I should be looking at?5

Definitely not.

OP
OP
atalanta

atalanta

adventure.jpg

I found one :wub:

Adventure Double Shot - 51cm frame in chromoly steel, 3-speed hub, swept-back bars, lifetime warranty on frame & fork, and great service from a little LBS in Chiswick that's a dream and who I will absolutely be going back to for all my maintenance needs. She was the last one left before the price went up by another hundred quid, so I snapped her up. Got a good double lock for her too. Can't wait to take her for a spin later when the weather clears a little.

Thanks so much, everyone, for all your input. I've learned a lot and have definitely been able to make better choices because of it! Hopefully I'll see you one of these days while cruising around London.

little LBS in Chiswick that's a dream and who I will absolutely be going back to for all my maintenance needs
Yes! The most important criterium. That's how I narrowed my choice to 2 bikes for several more candidates

Looks like you've found your love.

A lot of "she", "her" in that post. Be careful.
I'm not sure what you are saying. I'm one of the top 5 angry feminists on CC, and I am ok with the usage.

OP
OP
atalanta

atalanta

Yes! The most important criterium. That's how I narrowed my choice to 2 bikes for several more candidates

Looks like you've found your love.
I did! Love at first ride.

I'm not sure what you are saying. I'm one of the top 5 angry feminists on CC, and I am ok with the usage.
(ooh, do you have a club? can I join? ^_^)

Top Bottom