The battle of style v. substance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
atalanta

atalanta

Why not? Not sure I'd commute in London on anything worth more than £500 given how high the theft risk is

Where are you commuting from and to?
It's a seven-mile trip door to door. Both lockups (ie home and work) are pretty damn safe. I think my neighbour was speaking more to the overall quality of the components of a £500+ bike than anything else. I've been told the same by a bike shop or two - anything below a certain price may not be worth even the cheapness of what you paid in the first place.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst I can certainly see the aesthetic appeal of the classic looking things, I too rather suspect style over substance. £500 will certainly get you a very decent modern bike albeit not quite blingtastic. Personally I very much prefer drop bars for any kind of riding but nevertheless would prefer trad lugged "racer" to a modern carbon bike so get the point.

So, for your purposes, London cummuting, I'd look at weight, which'll probs rule out a traditional roadster or dutch bike, but would get you a nice single speed or fixie, and gears are hardly vital for London. I would get mudguards and pannier rack for any practical cycle. Chainguard - well I've not seen one on any bike I'd actually want. Don't dismiss drop bars though, albeit it's a matter of preference. As others have said supsension is nonsense on anh road oriented bike - more money for a worse bike - doubly so of cheap as money needed for the rest of it has been robbed for a detremental feature

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Lo and on the seventh day whilst God rested the people bitched to all who would hear that the things I do not like are more style than substance

vickster

Legendary Member
One persons ugly is anothers beautifully brutal.

If you look on the Evans site there's a review from someone that bought a cheaper version and he was over the moon with it. Not for me but I can kinda see the appeal. It is bargain though.
What makes it such a bargain? You only get one fork and a hideous bike!

So, for your purposes, London cummuting, I'd look at weight, which'll probs rule out a traditional roadster or dutch bike, but would get you a nice single speed or fixie, and gears are hardly vital for London.

That would very much depend on where you are in London. Some parts are hardly flat. I really wouldn't want to be slogging up Pentonville Road or Highgate Hill on a single speed bike...

If it were me, I'd look for a decent but used hybrid or road bike, good quality but unremarkable and therefore less nickable. Having said that, I'd also second looking at the Decathlon bikes - I'm beginning to see an awful lot of them out and about, so they've got to have something good going for them.

The Pashley bikes I have tested have all been sweet rides but you give up a lot of acceleration at that weight. In London, acceleration is your safety. I ride an aluminium bike fully equipped with 8 spd hub gear, disk brakes, rack, mudguards and dynamo hub system . The accessories do add some weight but they work for their living. You need to strip off all the useless weight such as suspension forks, plain guage steel frame, and stylistic flourishes such as curved tubing. Even folding bike stands can be considered excess weight since you always have to lock too something.
I really don't know of a ready built modern efficient but stylish commuter bike but I would like to see one.

OP
OP
atalanta

atalanta

Ok folks, thanks for all the input so far! Here's an update.

I test rode this bike on Thursday:
image.jpg

It's a Tokyobike CS26, 53cm frame. As rides go it was excellent - very intuitive, smooth, and responsive.

Pros:
- bike is lightweight steel at 11kg - I can lift it with two fingers. Don't see any trouble carrying it up to my 2nd floor flat if the need arises.
- service in the shop was really excellent, the guy worked with me a lot to find which combination of frame size and stem/seat height was best for me.
- wheels are slightly smaller which means more maneuverability, or so I'm told.
- free servicing for the first 3 months, then all full service appointments are £35. They only work on their own bikes.

Cons:
- at £650 this is at the upper end of my price range.
- mudgards can be fitted but don't come standard.
- warranty is 12 months, I don't know how standard this is but I've seen lifetime warranties elsewhere.

Any thoughts? I definitely got the sense that this is a brand looking to invest in a customer base, thus the very low price for repairs etc. Will the money I pay up front for the bike work out over the long run as I continue to save on maintenance? Let 'er rip.

More specs here: http://www.tokyobike.co.uk/tokyobike-tokyobike-cs26.html

Last edited:

simon.r

Person
That seems to be a reasonable balance between style and substance. More sensible / practical bikes are available, but you obviously need to 'feel' the bike is right as well.

My neighbour advised me that she wouldn't cycle on anything in London that was worth less than £500. .
Your neighbour is either bomkers or a (cycling) snob, possibly both. Both of the bikes I regularly use and park around London are technically worth substantially less than £500 but are both very good bikes. My expensive Dale was never left in town, not even locked. I'd second the recommendations to look at bikes from Ridgeback. They do some very good bikes and benefit from the advantage that, I believe, the company behind them is the UK distributor for Shimano, so they have access to cheap supplies of perfectly decent Shimano bits. And you don't need expensive components for your planned use - in fact cheaper could be better. I'd also be inclined to go no higher than 8 or 9 (x3) speed.

OP
OP
atalanta

atalanta

Your neighbour is either bomkers or a (cycling) snob...

Thanks Blue Hills. I'm constantly trying to balance new information - everyone seems to do this differently! Do you have any thoughts on the bike I posted about above?

vickster

Legendary Member
You won't get a lifetime warranty from the majority of retailers, but a year is really poor, I'd want 5 on the frame minimum

Do you have any thoughts on the bike I posted about above?

Must admit to being a tad confused Atalanta as it doesn't seem to fit your initial post in terms of what you are looking for.

Sure you haven't been seduced by the London trendies?

In short it looks quite nice but somewhat overpriced.

It's 1x8 isn't it?

edinburgh Bike Co-Op used to do a similar thing (the courier?) for far less but have a quick look at their web site and can not see their own brand bikes.

Can I ask:

which bit of London you live in?

Your timeframe for buying this bike?

Top Bottom