W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Id rather suspect it is a stupid error rather than a blatant attempt at something else. They've come out and apologised and hopefully someone's ear is ringing from the bollocking...

Who Knows!?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The BBC News site did an online article recently about the Supermarine Spitfire (I think it was a significant anniversary date, or a story of the pivotal role it played in the Battle of Britain perhaps).
The main image they used to illustrate the article was a Hawker Hurricane.

It's awful, sloppy, lazy journalism really, and clearly nobody checks anything any more.

I always thought most BBC people were educated at Oxbridge.

I well remember someone from my university telling the story of a mate of his who had been to a BBC interview.

He was asked which college he had been to.

The interviewer clearly assumed that it had been a college of oxford or cambridge.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
On the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation breakfast show this morning they were doing a piece all bout Covid Travel restrictions in different parts of the UK.

All was going well, Welsh policy under a Welsh flag, Scottish policy under a Scottish flag and English policy under an English flag.

And then the policy of Northern Ireland under a Republican Tricolour!!

Now I wonder if this is the result of ignorance to other parts of the UK or what appears to me the BBC policy of employing quota personnel who may not have a knowledge of the UK.
Possibly it was a simple error rather than ignorance and lack of education.

It's easy to make basic errors in any form of writing or journalism.

Drago

Legendary Member
The BBC, AKA "The Red Service", as one former head of the KGB famously called it.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I always thought most BBC people were educated at Oxbridge.

I well remember someone from my university telling the story of a mate of his who had been to a BBC interview.

He was asked which college he had been to.

The interviewer clearly assumed that it had been a college of oxford or cambridge.
On the PM programme a short while ago, talking about BBC representing the population, “only about 20% of employees are public school old pupils” (or words to that effect) as if it was a good thing, the proportion of the general population that attended public schools is less than 10%.

On the PM programme a short while ago, talking about BBC representing the population, “only about 20% of employees are public school old pupils” (or words to that effect) as if it was a good thing, the proportion of the general population that attended public schools is less than 10%.
mm
I am sure things have improved since the tale I heard, but that quote (not criticising you) sounds suspiciously weaselly.
"employees" covers a pretty wide spread of roles within the BBC.

Many rather humble I would suppose.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It was only about four years ago that many of the Radio4 presenters learned the difference between less, and fewer... thanks to:

Mr Angry of Norwich.
Mr Ranty of Aberdeen.
Mr Grumble of Pontyprid
...and many more.

Top Bottom