The Beacon.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musa

Über Member
Feck me, is that some hill or what?

After a solo ride to Brighton this morning, I struggled on it, I had to stop four five times but to be far it was 10 miles to the end after doing turners hill and so forth...I was knackered, BUT I didnt walk an ounce

HOWEVER, the bit I did enjoy was the descent into town down Ditchling Road.

I used the BHF route where I got lost before regaining it fully.

What is categorized on Strava? Big ratings to the guy I saw do it on a SS/fixed not sure which

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There is a knack to cycling the Beacon.
Rather then looking at it as one long hill, approach it as several hills. The Beacon is not one long hill rather then hill, flat, hill, flat, hill, flat etc. This was designed to give horses who ascend the hill a little rest on the way up.

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
musa

musa

Über Member
Ahh ok I see

well next time I see it but it was good ride done solo, so anyone who saw a cyclechat top that was me

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There is a knack to cycling the Beacon.
Rather then looking at it as one long hill, approach it as several hills. The Beacon is not one long hill rather then hill, flat, hill, flat, hill, flat etc. This was designed to give horses who ascend the hill a little rest on the way up.
Absolutely.
On the L2B I used to ride it on a 73" fixed (and I was on 20 roll-ups/day then) and latterly a 30x25 triple, it seems hard when there are so many people about, but when I rode it on the FNRttC one very rainy morning it seemed remarkably easy. Once you know what ianrauk states above, it becomes much easier, you just gauge your effort accordingly. In some respects Turners hill always seems more of a grunt though shorter.

However ... every first ascent of Ditchling should be celebrated, so Chapeau!
The flight down is epic!

bennytheegg

I've been off the bike for a few years, but recently started up again with a mate and I'm loving getting back out there.

Did the Beacon on Wednesday night - managed 5 consecutive ascents without stopping or putting my feet down - the weather was poor though, and my rear light was losing power... which made things a tad dangerous as I was on my own. Going for 10 next time when my mate's new wheels arrive (hopefully Wednesday) - Does anyone know what the record is??

al78

Guru
Well done. The next stage is to go up the Beacon, but then come back via Devil's Dyke/Saddlescombe road. :thumbsup:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Good stuff!

I haven't ridden up it yet (hills= my nemesis!) but hats off to ya!

OP
OP
musa

musa

Über Member
Cheers guys thanks for the encouragement :thumbsup:

Ill definitely like to go at it again be a good training route/ride for me

Top Bottom