The Beginners Guide to Torque Wrenches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK - I have a vague understanding of what they are - but more info required !

Are they difficult to use

Can anybody recommend a basic kit or collection (or whatever a group of torqueys is called !)

Don't want to spend loads - but think a set maybe handy for occasional maintenance.

gcogger

They're easy to use, just turn the adjuster to the correct setting, then tighten the bolt until the ratchet clicks/slips.
I've been using this one from PlanetX for a while. Seems to do the job well enough, hasn't let me down yet.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
As above they are pretty straight forward to use. I have a similar one, nothing mega expensive - think it was about £25-£30.

The only other thing to consider is the torque ranges on specific tools can differ, e.g. a smaller one like mine may be selectable for torque range from 3 - 16 nM so if you have a requirement for regularly adjusting larger bolts you will need one with a range that can handle it. It may well be you need a second one for 20 - 40 nM for example, if you're doing chainring bolts and lockrings and stuff like that.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I must admit I've never bothered for a bike, though would, and have, used one for a car engine rebuild. That said, I reckon I do have reasonable mechanical sympathy so am confident I'm not going to snap off the typical fasteners on a bike. Big caveat is I've never owned a carbon fibre bike where I gather these things are a lot more critical and the word is that it's good idea to get a torque wrench.

If you're new to these things, make sure you check the range of torque before buying. You need a very different tool for car cylinder head screws or suspension parts than you would for an m4 screw on a bike. The former would resemble a 1/2" drive ratchet with a long handle but the bike sized tool would look like a screwdriver.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There are lots of types. The bigger ones tend to be the "click" type described above. Smaller ones may just have a rotary scale which you watch while tightening, until the line is at the desired torque. There are also long "beam" types and small one pre-set for one torque, e.g. 5Nm.

Torque is a really poor analogue for clamping force or bolt tension. A used, cleaned, lubricated thread will give a far higher clamping force for a given torque than a new or dirty, dry, thread. Bike manufacturers rarely specify thread conditions, so I assume clean and lubricated. Automotive applications usually specify dry threads.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I have never felt the need for one in a cycle application, motor vehicles well yes if rebuilding an engine/gearboxes, having worked in a mechanical environment all my life you “get the feel” on how tight to take it, be it on steel or alloys.

I love my Lezyne Tourque drive that replaced the old chunky multi-tool I used to cart around. There isn't a fixing on my bicycle that the Tourque can't tackle and bearing in mind hpw easy it is to over-tighten things, its a must-have for ham-

fisted
people like me

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have a couple of Sealey torque wrenches that cover the range 5-112 Nm, I think. They cost about £30 each a few years ago and came with calibration certificates. I've been told that it's important to set the torque as close as you can to zero when you leave them stored.

Last edited:
They're easy to use, just turn the adjuster to the correct setting, then tighten the bolt until the ratchet clicks/slips.
I've been using this one from PlanetX for a while. Seems to do the job well enough, hasn't let me down yet.

I got the £17 one too and it’s great !
I cringe at Halfords seeing “technician “ using Allen key and way way too much grunt on a pour stem ( 5Nm is small !!)

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Ok - thanks folks - I need it to tighten a seat post. But not the typical collar type. It's like a little wedge that sits in front of the seat post. But the actual bolt you turn is recessed ....

An Allen keys gets in fine - but a multi tool - not great - would these sets you are recommending be able to get into a recessed area ?

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
If you get a set, just make sure it comes with a calibration certificate.

If you're tightening the seat post - make sure to use some carbon paste - that way you can get away with tightening it on the lower end of the range and will prevent seizing.

presta

Guru
I use the car torque wrench for the big stuff, but for the small stuff I just put a spring balance on the end of the Allen key.

Top Bottom