The benefits of giving up booze.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm not far off forty years without a drink now. I just got fed up with giving myself expensive hangovers.

keithmac

Guru
I had a month off in January and it wasn't that bad really.

I'm in the same trap as everyone else, my friends are big drinkers and I can't "have just one" for some reason.

I think it does take it's toll on your mental well being, definitely a low the day or two after.

Might give another month off a try and not cave in so easily!.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Overweight, chronic acid reflux, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, sleeplessness and very high blood pressure all disappeared when I stopped drinking.

I found being teetotal to be boring though and I'm having the occasional drink now but keeping an eye on my blood pressure. So far it's been OK. Also don't binge like I used to and only drink quality stuff now.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
I regularly have months off, like you l can't cut back, it's all or nothing. When off l feel all the benefits you mentioned in your first post, but l never have as good a time...l don't know anybody who doesn't drink.
We must be drinking twins then because I can relate to everything you've written there.

Milzy

Guru
I'm not far off forty years without a drink now. I just got fed up with giving myself expensive hangovers.
Haha, I often drink 4 pints of craft ale watching films in the house. You just need to know when to stop. Relaxing evening & no hangover then morning bike ride.

albal

Guru
Still drink and enjoy it. Probably x50 units a week. ? Tho never when working ( I,m HGV +) Tho if I had a family I guess a different story.

Rock bus

Über Member
I’m contemplating giving up at the moment.
I don’t drink a lot at all. Hardly ever during the week and just at weekend. Normally just a few beers, g&ts or share a bottle of wine with the wife on fridays and Saturday. Then every couple months big blow out with the lads.
So it’s not an issue but I’ve been thinking how it’s weird that whenever I’m having fun it normally involves a few drinks as well. Just seems a bit weird.
Thing is, I really do love a few drinks and how it makes me feel at the time. Not sure I want to stop something I genuinely enjoy.

Milzy

Guru
I don’t drink a lot at all. Hardly ever during the week and just at weekend. Normally just a few beers, g&ts or share a bottle of wine with the wife on fridays and Saturday. Then every couple months big blow out with the lads.
So it’s not an issue but I’ve been thinking how it’s weird that whenever I’m having fun it normally involves a few drinks as well. Just seems a bit weird.
Thing is, I really do love a few drinks and how it makes me feel at the time. Not sure I want to stop something I genuinely enjoy.
Everything in moderation. You tend to find Tee totals can have fairly boring personalities.

Then I would carry on as you are (except possibly the big blowout, depending how big!).

I never made a specific decision to cut back, and probably never would have thought to, it just happened gradually. I think the big change was when I stopped playing squash a few times a week about ten years ago. Every game was followed by a pint or three in the club afterwards.

pjd57

Veteran
I've never been a big drinker , but enjoy a beer.
Not " a beer " as in 4 , 5 ,6 etc .
Just 1 when I go out for food, or a pat on the back pint after an occasional big run with my mate.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Some of the most boring people I know are drinkers. Only those equally pie eyed find them funny.

One pet hate of mine was getting cornered by a drunk waster. Normally sharing his wisdom and secrets of success. :whistle: Whatever wino. Boring boring boring.

I would also get bored out of my bracket in noisy, busy bars. Couldn’t follow conversations because of the white noise and goddamn hated all the spittle in my face. Mind you: You can cycle in big groups and the same thing happens.

Top Bottom