The best bike shop ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I was talking to John earlier this week and he told me someone had made a short film a few years back and it was now on the internet, so I had a look. He must be one of the nicest blokes I've ever known and his wheelbuilding isn't limited to bikes, he also does a lot of work building wheels for classic cars and CRMC racing outfits and Morgan 3 wheelers.
Here's the film linky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=I56m7KF7Erc

I was talking to John earlier this week and he told me someone had made a short film a few years back and it was now on the internet, so I had a look. He must be one of the nicest blokes I've ever known and his wheelbuilding isn't limited to bikes, he also does a lot of work building wheels for classic cars and CRMC racing outfits and Morgan 3 wheelers.
Here's the film linky

Bloody Hell.......!!!!!!!!!

That was my local bike shop when I was a kid. I remember taking my Raleigh Chopper in to him because the cotter pin had sheared off as well as buckled wheels etc. That must have been 40 years ago. I am amazed he is still going after all these years. He is a true gent. Gosh this brings back memories of my childhood. Is it still the health centre and community centre opposite side of the road.

OP
OP
raleighnut

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep, or at least the buildings are still there, They built a new health centre where the car parking wasteland was just down the road but I think the old 'Highfields workshop' still runs and some health activities (family planning clinic) are still in the old building.
It's been a while since I lived up that way but I still get John to build/service my wheels as I have since 1977 when I was first up that way and he still has stock for older bikes, not so much for 10-11 speed though. :whistle:
I'd guess that John is around 70 now but he doesn't seem to age and he has told me that if he retired he would get bored so he just carries on. :becool:

Globalti

Legendary Member
We used to have a little hardware shop just like that down the road, run by an elderly and infirm couple. They advertised tool sharpening and as my best woodworking chisel was getting a bit out of shape from countless re-sharpens I took it along and asked if they could re-grind the tip and straighten it up for me. They said they could and would send it away to a proper engineering works. The night before I collected it I had a bad dream about it so was a little concerned when I nipped in to pick it up. You can't begin to imagine my shock and dismay when I found that somebody had put an angle grinder to my beloved chisel and destroyed the cutting tip, grinding multiple facets to it, scoring it deeply and overheating the metal so that it was yellow and blue. I actually cried out in horror and the couple must have been so shocked at my reaction that they didn't mention payment; I just took it away and went home almost in tears. Can't remember how I got it fixed in the end but it still distresses me now.

pawl

Legendary Member
Here's the film linky

I also remember this shop.it must be 50 years ago when l last visited,surprised to hear it is still open.

Most of the bike shops in Leicester have long since closed .Sid Mottrams Leedhams Cedric Clasons regular Saturday afternoon ride from Loughborough with my mate TomRogers just for a natter and cuppa.
Also interesting to see the photo of Cliff Smith.I was a member of the same club East Mids CC. If my memory serves me correctly he rode time trials on a Sturmy Archer fixed wheel. You always new of you were being caught by Cliff you could hear the Sturmy ticking.

Happy days

Here's the film linky

OP
OP
raleighnut

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The bike is still hanging up in the shop, it has the ultra close ratio 3spd SA hub but I believe it is a freewheel type. John thinks/remembers that Cliff was the development rider for SA/Raleigh for this type of hub.

pawl

Legendary Member
The bike is still hanging up in the shop, it has the ultra close ratio 3spd SA hub but I believe it is a freewheel type. John thinks/remembers that Cliff was the development rider for SA/Raleigh for this type of hub.
You could well be correct.Didnt Ray Booty break the 100 mile TT record on similar geared bike.

Kendells in Castleford is similar
Gary (Proud), the owner, is renown as a wheel-builder of great repute
I've had MTB & CX wheels built by him, in the past, & they never seemed to go out of true

Shops. Kendells.JPG

The legend that is Wayne Randle used to be spotted in there, at times, nattering to Gary

He also builds motorcycle, & 'wire' wheels for sports cars

Even Ian Cammish, states that he uses 'Proud built' wheels 25+ years after purchase
See the paragraph below the first block of photographs

http://www.iancammish.co.uk/#!front-wheels/cvpl

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Kendells in Castleford is similar
Gary (Proud), the owner, is renown as a wheel-builder of great repute
I've had MTB & CX wheels built by him, in the past, & they never seemed to go out of true

View attachment 110493

The legend that is Wayne Randle used to be spotted in there, at times, nattering to Gary

He also builds motorcycle, & 'wire' wheels for sports cars

Even Ian Cammish, states that he uses 'Proud built' wheels 25+ years after purchase
See the paragraph below the first block of photographs

http://www.iancammish.co.uk/#!front-wheels/cvpl
From the first line of his (Cammish's) wheel history -

"Campagnolo Record l/f q/r on Ambrosio gold 36/36 Berg 14/16g d/b chrome spokes (bought from Reeds of Wimbledon ... remember them?))"

I do indeed. Myself and a clubmate went down there one Saturday afternoon back in the early seventies and I bought a pair of Super Champion rims on 36/36 Simplex hubs, plus a double chainset (Which I'm sure was a Universal - a respected brand well known for their brakes, which I think I also bought).

Top Bottom