The best chain for a 6 speed hybrid bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
As I have already said on another thread I fitted a KMC Z7 chain on my bike less than four months ago and it is now nearly worn out so I am looking to find a good quality chain that will last much longer

As I commute on flat roads I never move gears always stay on the big chainring and the 3rd smallest sprocket

What chain would you recommend

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Any 6/7/8 speed chain will work. Like you, I used KMC Z for a while, but I've been trying SRAM half-nickel chain lately. Too soon to recommend but so far so good. I've also had some failures: Clarks anti-rust (bad shifting) and Shimano HG (too worn in under 6 months) chains were poor for me..

However, if you're staying in the same gear and are seeing fairly rapid chain wear, I suspect you've probably worn the rear sprocket at least to the point where it's wearing the chain to match it pretty quickly. I'm surprised it didn't skip. When you hang a new chain on it, does it look like all the teeth are engaging fully, or is there some daylight beside the teeth? If there's daylight, it's new sprockets time - and change gear sometimes - if nothing else, your knees will thank you as you start off and the rear derailleur won't seize up.

Alternatively, if the sprocket's worn, you could just run it until the chain either skips or is really badly worn, but not too far because a snapped chain can be dangerous and annoying.

Any 6/7/8 speed chain will work. Like you, I used KMC Z for a while, but I've been trying SRAM half-nickel chain lately. Too soon to recommend but so far so good. I've also had some failures: Clarks anti-rust (bad shifting) and Shimano HG (too worn in under 6 months) chains were poor for me..

However, if you're staying in the same gear and are seeing fairly rapid chain wear, I suspect you've probably worn the rear sprocket at least to the point where it's wearing the chain to match it pretty quickly. I'm surprised it didn't skip. When you hang a new chain on it, does it look like all the teeth are engaging fully, or is there some daylight beside the teeth? If there's daylight, it's new sprockets time - and change gear sometimes - if nothing else, your knees will thank you as you start off and the rear derailleur won't seize up.

Alternatively, if the sprocket's worn, you could just run it until the chain either skips or is really badly worn, but not too far because a snapped chain can be dangerous and annoying.
Hmmmm... where to start?
Chain life in months?
Talking knees?
Seizing derailleurs because of chain wear?
Daylight on sprockets?
Worn sprockets that skip on an equally worn chain?

I think it is bad form if you offer advice if you are not sure of your facts. Don't do it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hmmmm... where to start?
Chain life in months?
Talking knees?
Seizing derailleurs because of chain wear?
Daylight on sprockets?
Worn sprockets that skip on an equally worn chain?

I think it is bad form if you offer advice if you are not sure of your facts. Don't do it.
I think it is even worse form to heckle with no advice, especially when most of your points seem to be based on misunderstandings or misreading ("Worn sprockets that skip on an equally worn chain" - eventually the chain will skip at peak load once the sprocket teeth have rounded off enough).

I cited chain life in months lazily because my riding doesn't change much, so I expect at least 9 months of my riding which means about 3500 miles (or actually a bit under because I ride two other bikes a bit less) but still broadly in line with @jefmcg's estimate.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I purchased a new set of wheels and fitted a new SRAM cassette and SRAM chain, 4500 miles later and the chain is fine. Weekly wipe downs with an old micro fibre cloth sprayed with either GT85 or WD40 then a re-lube With Fenwicks all condition lube work great for me. Road dust mixed with lube grinds away at metal so keep it clean.

So in answer to the question I certainly would recommend a sub £10 SRAM chain.

Last edited:
Did you keep the chain lubed? Nothing wears like a dry chain.
The wear point of sprockets and chainrings is never exact but if a new chain slips on an old sprocket, it is time for a new set. Shark-fin shaped teeth are another sign.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I prefer SRAM chains too.

D

Deleted member 1258

Just go single speed if you don't use the gears, Nice big chunky chain will last forever, Not a lot to wear out, It's win win.:okay:

Both the 1/8th chain on my fixed and the 3/32 chain on my geared bike get changed around every 12 months, 2-3000 miles.

Top Bottom