The Big Big Trip Journal! If you want to make the man (or woman) upstairs laugh, just tell him your plans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
The last post. Madrid, Spain, March 27, 2022

This is surprisingly difficult to write.

It's not the ending I had in mind all that time ago when I set off. Ushuia. El fin del Mundo. That's where it should end. But bike touring, like life, often ain't like that. Everything doesn't go to plan and one thing is for certain - The Big, Big Trip didn't go to plan.

I happen to think it was all the better for that.

This Travelogue didn't go to plan either.
I never expected to make so many friends. Maybe some of you will think that's a bit much but travelling solo on the far side of the world I'll take any camraderie I can get. Thank you.​

I actually got to visit a museum!!! The National Museum of Ecuador. Honestly, a tad disappointing, especially since large sections were closed off. This painting, though, caught my eye. This part of the world was about to undergo unimaginable changes.

I am really looking forward to sitting down and reading this. Hopefully this winter. On a big screen. To see my photos in a size bigger than my phone!
I wrote this for me. I am incredibly pleased that so many of you have enjoyed it and told me so.
My sincere thanks for the comments, the compliments and all the good wishes.
I'm proud of my Travelogue.

There was a modern art display in the museum. As is my way the trees outside were more interesting!

I am reluctant to single out any individuals for the simple reason that I may miss someone out.
I'm going to plough on regardless though ^_^

@Pat "5mph" was my main mod contact before and during the trip. Beyond helpful and so, so enthusiastic.
@cwskas , I've already covered. On a long tour I hope you meet your cwaskas.
@netman for his map! I love that map!!
@Richard Fairhurst who put México into Cycle.Travel for me! Feck Strava. Feck RWGPS. Double Feck Komoot. Cycle.Travel: The best cycle touring mapping service there is.
All the regular correspondents - @IaninSheffield (have you got that dog yet?^_^), @Shadow thank you for your interest and literary suggestions, @CharlesF and his requests for even more photos, @chriswoody - I'm looking forward to the father daughter trip!
And the random correspondents. Thank you all.
Even those that threw up the odd like - it's heartwarming to get a response.
I lost some followers along the way and that's to be expected. I don't think I've followed a live blog without taking a break because something bugged me.

The Gothic Cathedral in Quito. My mind wasn't really in the right place to do Quito justice. Also, it's a tough city for my kind of exploration on foot. It's like a sausage rather than a square and is very, very long. And hilly!

Interesting street sculptures dotted the city. On a Sunday various roads are traffic free so bikes (and skateboarders) take over. It was nothing like CDMX and Quito lived up to my limited experience in Ecuador - pleasant, pretty but lacking the vibrancy, life and craziness of other American countries.

Quito. The old and new, the pretty (lots of little Plazas) and the neglected

What I achieved: Filling in my map of Spain and boxing Roccado

What next?

I'm not sure. Madrid is cold and wet! ^_^
After filling in my map of Spain with routes I've decided to create my own. I'm going to pick up Don Quixote on my Kindle* and follow that iconic literary route, reading and riding, riding and reading, with interesting diversions as I go along. It's only 2500km ^_^. I'll keep notes and maybe write it up over the winter. Or maybe there's a book in it. Anyone know any literary agents? ^_^

*I also have the Spanish version. It's old Spanish - way beyond my abilities! ^_^ I'll be reading in English

My first Plaza and Church in Spain.

A long time ago now @IaninSheffield asked me what changes I noticed in myself after so long on the road.
Well, after even longer on the road I've arrived in a foreign country, with a foreign language, to a city I once passed a romantic weekend in and I feel totally at home.
My Spanish works!
The strange, the unusual, the foreign is to be celebrated, savoured and understood. (What's the point in travelling to see and feel the same as at home?)
I'm in a country where food is a celebration of life and it is glorious!
I'm relaxed and stress free. That's not like me. The old me.

My first view of Madrid city centre (top) and my first dilemma (bottom). Which way do I go? It doesn't matter! ^_^

It would be easy to think that the door has closed on my Big, Big Adventure but that's just not the reality. When I tentatively stepped through that door all that time ago and headed to the New World of Colombus I didn't quite realise that I was heading into a New World for me.
Right now (as I seriously tempt fate!) I think there's not a thing I can't do if I give it a decent shot. By comparison, when I set off from T-Town I didn't know if my back and legs would get me to Rotterdam!
I feel feckin' great!

Home. Interesting trees and captivating artwork

As far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on whether this trip was one of my better figaries or the absolute dumbest thing I've ever done. I've had tough days and periods of loneliness but two and a half years in I can't point to any long term negatives but I have lots of long term positives.

I understand how incredibly fortunate I have been to be able to do this trip. I also give myself credit for making it happen.
I know that not everyone can do a trip like this (but I'd encourage anyone who would love to do similar but can't to really explore the "why?"). I thought I couldn't either. Physically, financially, emotionally and mentally. I'm happy to have proved myself wrong. I can't emphasise enough how important inspiration was (sometimes from the Chat Zone) rather than "stuff" to get me through and, more importantly, enjoying it.

Someday I hope to do the Big, Big Trip part two. In all honesty the urgency is a lot less. I didn't reach my destination* but what a journey I have had! And for me it's (always) about the journey.
I have other goals in mind, a new life and way of life to set up. My new life won't be like my old one. Travel, even if it's local, will be a big, big part of it.
When I get around to doing TBBT Part Two I'll ask to reopen this thread (and cue the complaints about the long title!^_^)

* In an interesting twist of fate the day I landed in Madrid an old girlfriend was starting out on an epic romantic expedition by plane to Ushuia involving three continents! If I ever get there there may be a friendly face to greet me!^_^

Anyone who makes it to the end of this long tale and has questions I hope to be around on these fora for a while yet - fire away. Just don't ask me about bike specs ^_^.

You can lock this up now mods and thank you!

Hasta luego!

If ever a city was made for my style of exploration......

See the Big, Big Trip Map here:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1C4CxxXQvj5sW-fwUWvp65A19Rl5iLsdg&usp=sharing
With much gratitude to Netman

Chat? Yes Please!
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/chat-zone-for-the-big-big-trip-journal.254098/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom