The Big Big Trip Journal! If you want to make the man (or woman) upstairs laugh, just tell him your plans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 895 Friday, February 25, 2022, Arboleda to Buesaco 20 km Total KM 17020
Min meters 1359, Max Meters 1976,
Total Climb 653, Total Descent 372
Min Temp 22 Max Temp 38 Ave Temp 29

One of the most satisfying bike rides ...... Ever! Buesaco

I took most of these phots on arrival in Buesaco while looking for a place to stay. After I had checked in the heavens opened and it rained for most of the night. It didn't look great on my first pass and was less inspiring in the rain!

The most unusual Plaza. Unusual because there wasn't a single coffee vendor! In fact no vendors of anything! Most unusual!

IMG_20220225_155316.jpg

In fairness, the houses made an attempt to brighten the place up and one of the characteristics of these mountain towns is the view to the mountains

IMG_20220225_154834.jpg

Building standards can be ..... flexible in this part of the world.
IMG_20220225_154638.jpg

The one bright point of the town that showed a bit of care and pride was this little park. Unfortunately it was raining when I tried to explore it properly
IMG_20220225_153930.jpg

I find it amazing how the edges of these towns just merge with the wildness of the landscape
IMG_20220225_154417.jpg

The inside of the "rocket" church. Pleasantly simple
IMG_20220225_153733.jpg

Windows? Doors? They're for the fancy people! Mountain people have no truck with such frippery!
IMG_20220225_153029.jpg

The "Rocket" church
IMG_20220225_153623.jpg

The towns can seem so temporary and incomplete in comparison to the mountains around them.
IMG_20220225_152956.jpg

Peace has the face of Justice and the colour of Hope
IMG_20220225_152844.jpg

See the Big, Big Trip Map here:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1C4CxxXQvj5sW-fwUWvp65A19Rl5iLsdg&usp=sharing
With much gratitude to Netman

Chat? Yes Please!
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/chat-zone-for-the-big-big-trip-journal.254098/

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 896 Saturday, February 26, 2022, Buesaco to Pasto 41 km Total KM 17061
Min meters 1972, Max Meters 2900,
Total Climb 1207, Total Descent 601
Min Temp 16 Max Temp 33 Ave Temp 22

The day of the downright weird conversations

One of the things I most enjoy about this travelogue is sitting down to write it. Not all the time, but most of the time. The ideal scenario is with a coffee in a Plaza. I was bursting to sit down yesterday and look at my photos and start getting it all down on paper but Buesaco conspired against me. The Plaza was nothing but a modern, small open space in front of the church with no vendors of any form. Besides, it was raining. A bakery was my next option but there were none with seating to the front where I could sit and watch the town. The one I did select had a sour, grumpy waitress and - shock of all shocks! - terrible coffee!

I sorted my photos then moved to another. More bad coffee!

In truth, Buesaco was a disappointment in just about every department. It was raining and no place looks good in the rain. Dinner was probably one of the worst I've had anywhere with another grumpy woman and the hotel wifi didn't work for ages and when it did, after badgering the poor guy on reception I couldn't upload any photos to here. However, nothing was taking away from my mountain road today!

As it turned out, I had just gone to the wrong place for coffee yesterday! Up at 6:30 I packed up and popped outside. Rain. Light rain, but rain nonetheless. And mist. Lots of impenetrable mist. I wasn't too worried about it. I'd be going through (and up) mountains and wasn't expecting any open or wide views. I set off having munched on my super duper peanut snack (more bought last night!) but coffeeless. Seeing a different, small place I pulled up for coffee. A place as basic as they come with five women working busily in a space big enough for one their coffee was from heaven and washed down two tasty, crispy empanadas of seasoned rice. They used seasoning! The craic and life flowing between the women was a welcome blast of colour on a damp, grey morning. For me, anyway, maybe not the banana delivery man (what a job title!) who was unceremoniously rushed out of their tiny store after making his delivery!

I set off in good spirits

Fog, mist and rain were going to be features of my day - right from the get go

IMG_20220226_083018.jpg

I was right. The weather wasn't going to impact too many views. And the road surface, when it existed, demanded lots of attention. I'm heading for Pasto (again!), about 40km away (with a lot of climbing) and had a horrible thought that the road might be as bad the whole way. It wasn't but was unreliable enough to be interesting!

There's something about being above the clouds that gives me a thrill
IMG_20220226_084101.jpg

It was pleasant enough cycling. I discarded my rain jacket once the climbing started because I was just too warm. The rain petered out a little later. Maybe that's the trick - be dominant and not be cowed by Mother Nature.

Mind you, there's something about the roads that give me a thrill too!
IMG_20220226_083734.jpg

The way I figured it I had a 7-800 meter climb which would bring me close to 3000 meters. A small town after 13km would be an ideal break point.

As I climbed slowly, but steadily, I thought about how glad I was that I hadn't tried to push on last night. Villa Moreno would have been the target although accommodation was an unknown quantity. It would have been absolutely miserable in the rain that fell all afternoon and night.

Even when the road wasn't falling off the cliff it still wasn't great
IMG_20220226_085311.jpg

I started to think that I'm really not much of a bike tourist. I've recently finished Barbra Savage's account of a round the world bike tour with her husband in the early 80's. (Miles from Nowhere). It's a great book full of laughs and pain, fear and some loathing. (I put off reading it for years because she was killed in a cycling accident (at home) just before the book was published). They had some horrendous experiences with weather that had me curling up as I read but kept on going.

Interesting, but not terribly inspiring. But then again the last few days have been pretty special
IMG_20220226_085824.jpg

But as I cycled I realised that the whole tenor of this trip has changed. I might be slow and tend to wussery but I'm making good use of the time that I have (unexpectedly) been given. For the past several months, and certainly since I entered Colombia, there has been little rush, few deadlines and just no need to get to somewhere else regardless of the weather.

Some of the ríos today were ferocious!
IMG_20220226_090150.jpg

Stopped at the side of the road listening to the sound of a small waterfall beside me - so relaxing, it tinkled and giggled - a man pulled up on a motorbike.
"Where are you from?", was the opening salvo, followed up by where are you going today?
He didn't like my answer, Pasto (truthfully, neither did I) and, for the first time that I can recall, told me I wouldn't make it. Not today.
Suddenly concerned, I asked why not picturing landslides, washed out roads (I'd had both already) or even terrorist activity.
"Too far", was his brief answer.
"It's only 30km?", I answered doubtfully (it wouldn't be the first time I casually mixed up distances or climbing in my head).
"Further", he said.
"How much further?", I asked, reaching for my phone and Osmand.
He didn't reply, just again stated baldly that I'd never make it.
29.2 km from my current position according to Osmand. I relaxed.
What followed was one of the most bizarre, negative conversations I've ever had on the side of the road - or in most other places too!

I had too much gear. I explained that I was traveling in different places, needed it and had used it all.
I didn't need food or a stove. Ehm, yes I do! Not around here but in other places.
My dynamo was clever (dynamos are very, very rare here) but I didn't need it.
The tyre pressure was wrong. He could tell by looking, apparently.
And on and on.
Pasto was full of thieves. They were ALL thieves. I'd be robbed as soon as I arrived. I told him it would be my third visit.
I could have crossed into Ecuador in December. The border opened in December. Yes, after I had left.
And on and on.
Where did I stay last night? How much did I pay?
When he started manhandling the bike without any kind of permission I started to get really annoyed.

Some people just fire questions, some engage, some look wistful (and jealous) but I have never faced such a sustained disagreement and negative commentary. Just when I had decided that he had ruined my musical waterfall bliss and was about to climb aboard, he got on his motorbike and roared off without so much as a goodbye. I was bemused. And frankly, glad he was gone.

A brief bit of sun can make everything seem better!
IMG_20220226_091723.jpg

Onwards and upwards I went and finally arrived in the little, roadside town of Villa Moreno. These little roadside places are generally not particularly interesting and little more than a chance for drivers to get fuel for themselves or the car. But this little place charmed me.

Sometimes the sun worked with the mist to make sparkles
IMG_20220226_091131.jpg

I pulled off to find the Plaza and the little, bright church. The Plaza's practical rather than pretty but the church had soul. And the murals!! Fantastic!

Apparently the local indigenous group marked their territory with rock carvings and paintings. These are still in existence on different properties and some of them have been recreated on people's houses. I loved it!

There is nearly always some interesting vegetation, especially in the mountains
IMG_20220226_094521.jpg

Locals smiled and said hello. One woman walked past Roccado parked up in front of the church as I had a smoke on the Plaza and I watched her slow down and give him the once over. Then another, more considered look. Then her face opened in the most spectacular smile - I could see her eyes sparkling from way away. She walked on, constantly turning back for another glance, looking over at me she waved like a child does at an airplane if told that Santa is on board and continued on to a shop on the corner and was animatedly talking to three older folks, constantly pointing back at Roccado.

I stopped for breakfast at a bakery and had cheerful, friendly service and one of the best breakfasts so far. In a local shop buying water a young fella seeing that all I needed was water did his best to get me processed quickly but a woman was in charge of the money and would not be rushed.

Another feature of the mountains are the many, many waterfalls. Often unseen they can be heard from far away
IMG_20220226_095557.jpg

To be continued........

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1C4CxxXQvj5sW-fwUWvp65A19Rl5iLsdg&usp=sharing

Chat? Yes Please!
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/chat-zone-for-the-big-big-trip-journal.254098/

Last edited:
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

The day of the downright weird conversations Part Two

Leaving town I was hailed from a parked car by an older lady who was one of four older people presumably out for a drive. Another bizarre conversation;

"Where are you from?" is normal.
"Do you know what department (state) you're in?", was a little unusual. I did. (Nariño)
"What's the name of the town you're in?", was just going into bizarro territory. Now, I can struggle to remember where I am, where I'm going and from where at the best of times, but for silly, sentimental reasons I knew where I was. Another day I wouldn't have a clue.
Answering "Villa Moreno" pleased her so she imparted some wisdom. The Venezuelans. They'd rob me. She mimed slitting her throat. She pointed to her eyes and said it was clear if you looked at them that they were dangerous.

This I didn't like. At all.
I told her that I'd met many Venezuelans without problem. They were in a terrible situation.
I was thinking of the family I'd met at the campground. He a university professor. A daughter a lawyer, another an engineer. No work or no pay. Electricity a few hours a week. Running water for an hour or two every second day. In a country with the largest oil reserves on the planet. If things were that hard for them how difficult must it be for the less fortunate.

Another bizarre conversation. I set off up the mountain.

The land became more tame as I went along

IMG_20220226_115928.jpg

My final odd conversation was with another motorcyclist who pulled up as I was having a rest. He put me on edge from the get go as he parked his bike in such a way as to make my exit more difficult. I was thinking of all the bad stories that started "and then this guy on a motorbike ......" and was conscious of the lack of traffic on the road.

It's not the best photo but my old friends, the silver trees, started to make a reappearance. For some reason these always make me feel good. They're familiar.
IMG_20220226_122126.jpg

The thing was I couldn't understand a word he said. Not a word. He was speaking Spanish for sure but really, really fast. I gave my usual explanation that I'm trying to learn Spanish and that if he could speak slower it would help a lot. He looked like I'd asked him if I could bed his mother and his sister and eat his dog afterwards and kept on repeating a sentence at breakneck speed. I picked out a word that seemed key and explained that I didn't understand it. His response was to repeat the word again and again and again. Faster and louder and angrier.

I wished him a good journey, climbed on and did my fastest speed uphill in a long time.

This scene can help explain why there are so many landslides on these roads
IMG_20220226_123748.jpg

I didn't want to go to Pasto again - for the third time - but I have little choice. I sure as hell wasn't going to back in the way I had left with Robert de Niro warning me how unsafe it was! I'm thinking of redoing the loop to Sandona as a way of avoiding the Pan-American and possibly another one to Ipiales, otherwise it'll be my third time on that road.

Ha! Look at Dumbass! Complaining at the prospect of covering the same stretch of road...... in Colombia! The PanAmerican, no less, a road that people dream of riding and cocky bike tourist turns his nose up at it!

I had booked nothing as if I could, I'd grab something on the edge of town and save myself entering the city proper. An outside option was to camp in a National Park but according to Google (!) there was no mention of camping in the last five years. I hit 2900 meters and started to roll down.

And a reminder to always be on alert
IMG_20220226_123843.jpg

At first I thought that it was going to rain but it was only Mother Nature admonishing me for thinking I could intimidate her.

The road was pretty poor at times so I was slow and careful. Views were limited but the vegetation has changed. I saw trees and shades of colour that I don't recall seeing before as well as a sign telling me I'm in bear country! And me with a pile of sweet peanut treats in both front panniers!^_^ One bend in particular captivated me and lured me off the bike to walk up and down along it, agog. There was a density to the vegetation that was almost overwhelming but matched by the sheer diversity of the plants. It seemed like there was one of everything, a kind of "Noah's Ark" for plants. It doesn't really show up in the photos but a few orange leafed trees really brought a vitality to everything that was quite wonderful. The Bountiful Bend I christened it.

Wild cats the other day and now I'm in Oso country! For some reason a bear is a problem but Oso? Oso is curious, friendly and probably the inspiration for the original teddy bear.
IMG_20220226_131324.jpg

I stopped at (what I thought was) the park but was put off staying by a strong stench of sewage. I continued on. I came to the roundabout where I had set off north all that time ago and took a new (to me exit) approaching Pasto from a, hopefully, safer angle. I passed the actual Park and pulled up. At least this place looked like a park and didn't have piles of rubbish dumped at the gate. Unfortunately, no-one was around to ask about camping and the notice board had no information. To top it off there was a steep road running downhill and around a bend. If I went down there, getting back up would be tricky. I continued on.

Approaching the Bountiful Bend.
IMG_20220226_141807.jpg

In the mist it was hard to take a good photo of Noah's collection of plants but this bend captivated me for far too long.
IMG_20220226_142147.jpg

Sometimes the mist and light could weave some magic.....
IMG_20220226_141003.jpg

This was a better section of the road ^_^
IMG_20220226_142512.jpg

Seeing Pasto through fresh eyes on a whole new approach
IMG_20220226_153838.jpg

Approaching Pasto from a whole new angle was like approaching a bright, modern, wealthy city. I passed one hotel - full - and continued on passing many others that were clearly out of my price range. Once close to the centre I went for the place I stayed in the last time. Cheap, hot water, decent Wifi and parking for Roccado.
Home! And for a change it's somewhere I'm very familiar with!^_^

Chat? Yes Please!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

The day of the downright weird conversations The Towns Along the Way

In truth there was only one town - Villa Moreno and I found it friendly and charming.

There was something about the church, the simplicity combined with the bright colours that I enjoyed

IMG_20220226_104405.jpg

The Plaza/Park that seemed to be functional over pretty yet still managed to be charming on a dull day
IMG_20220226_104532.jpg

Never mind the politics, look at that art!
IMG_20220226_104547.jpg

Now it's getting interesting.....
IMG_20220226_104605.jpg

The original, indigenous inhabitants marked their territory with rock paintings and carvings. Apparently these still exist but are reproduced on the walls of the houses of the town
IMG_20220226_104631.jpg

The text gives the (modern) address of the stone
IMG_20220226_104653.jpg

This one I really liked, the missing plaster just adding authenticity
IMG_20220226_104726.jpg

Other buildings celebrated other aspects of the indigenous culture, this one food.
IMG_20220226_105818.jpg

The cumulative effect of all this art in such a relatively small place was quite profound.
IMG_20220226_105854.jpg

This is a "folding" wall in my breakfast spot. One of the friendliest places and best breakfasts I've encountered in a while
IMG_20220226_110449.jpg

Chat? Yes Please!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 897 Sunday, February 27, 2022, Resty, Rainy day Pasto 0 km Total KM 17061

I'll say one thing for Pasto - it has some really good street art! Women, especially indigenous women, feature prominently

IMG_20220228_074217.jpg

Now that I was back in familiar territory I had another decision to make. Head to Ipiales the main road or do the Sandona loop again. I had really enjoyed the Sandona loop (going the opposite direction) even in pretty crappy weather and I really fancied doing it again. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't cooperating today. In fact, it was downright hostile with rain lashing from on high. Either road wasn't going to be pleasant so I decided to take a day off and rebooked my room.

A huge difference on this trip has been pedestrian infrastructure in urban areas. In the US infrastructure isn't just pedestrian unfriendly, it's often absent. Since México there has always been pedestrian infrastructure, although sometimes what I'd term "adventure infrastructure"!
IMG_20220227_163610.jpg

There's a reason that babies are carried in slings and not in buggies!

IMG_20220227_163443.jpg

Interestingly, my perspective of Pasto was a little different after my very different approach yesterday. The first time I hit Pasto I recalled rough, broken streets and the usual motley collection of buildings in various states of dilapidation. The second time was in the dark after a crazy ride through the night where I was just happy to find any kind of civilisation and the last time I left Pasto I had apparently taken my life in my hands and passed through some pretty dodgy areas. Yesterday, though, I had arrived through the wealthy side - modern buildings, shiny hotels - literally a different world.

A number of shops are painted and "branded" in very original ways. For some reason, Pasto seems to have more than average or maybe it's just that I've ended up spending more time here than other places!
IMG_20220227_163305.jpg

The rain didn't let me do an awful lot today but I did get out and about a bit.

I really liked this. There's a hardness, an edge to Pasto, even the "nicer" parts of town are a bit away from the centre, but this speaks to a beauty, an aspiration, a gentleness, an attempt to soften the edges
IMG_20220227_163142.jpg

Public Service Graffiti - It's not the dog, it's how you train it
IMG_20220227_163012.jpg

This was an anti-abortion demonstration, one that was taking place all around the country. Perhaps it was the rain, perhaps it was the subject but it wasn't very well supported. The courts had recently made a ruling on abortion making Colombia's abortion laws amongst the most liberal in the world.
While not everywhere, a common display in churches is a series of boards depicting the stages of a foetus from the moment of conception through to birth with the very clear message that abortion at any stage is murder and sinful.

IMG_20220227_161731.jpg

Another shopfront. I'm clearly in farming country!
IMG_20220226_172202.jpg

I wasn't out and about for too long. I tend to get wet from the bottom up walking the dodgy streets in the rain. In any case, irrespective of the weather I'd be getting out of Pasto tomorrow - there's nothing else to see

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 898 Monday, February 28, 2022, Pasto to Sandona 49 km Total KM 17110
Min meters 1709, Max Meters 2581,
Total Climb 743, Total Descent 1467
Min Temp 13 Max Temp 27 Ave Temp 17 /

The Sandona Loop - again!

I was up relatively early and grabbed a coffee and basic breakfast while dithering about my route. The forecast wasn't great and I'm something of a wuss. In the end, I said "Feck it" and took the road to Sandona, the weather forecast being ignored in favour of some brightness behind the dark clouds. Ha! Dumbass! It took less than an hour for the forecast to prevail.

Before 8 am and on the edge of Pasto. Going out past the University had the advantage of a decent, if slightly disorienting, cycle path and lots of roadside coffee stops for that last shot of caffeine before I hit the climb

IMG_20220228_075332.jpg

Half an hour later and I'm out in the country and that's definitely blue above me! I was facing into a climb but not a feck was given
IMG_20220228_083433.jpg

Not an hour after leaving Pasto and with steady climbing my weather optimism is being replaced with a cold, foggy reality
IMG_20220228_085621.jpg

There's a density to the vegetation that is felt. And there always seems to be running water. The mist or fog just adds to the atmosphere
IMG_20220228_084323.jpg

I turned off to explore Genoy which I had barely seen the last time but a roadblock put paid to that. I was cold, damp and in need of coffee and starting to wonder at the wisdom of my decision. The thought did cross my mind to turn back, freewheel back to Pasto and take the main and direct road towards Ipiales but a sense of unfinished business kept me pointing towards Sandona. On I went.

This really looks inhospitable and I suppose it is. The last time I was on this stretch it was dark and I was racing to Pasto and this time I couldn't see much more, no matter how slow I went. Despite that, it was incredibly enjoyable. There's a mystery, an atmosphere that works magic on me. The other day it was what I was seeing that thrilled me. Today it was what I was feeling.
IMG_20220228_090012.jpg

Rule #1 of bike touring: Nothing ever stays the same! Something about all this wildness and greeeness was speaking to me but I wasn't quite able to pinpoint exactly what it was. I just knew that I enjoyed cycling in it.
IMG_20220228_101041.jpg

I passed a large, roadside shrine the far side of Genoy which I didn't recall from my race to Pasto but not much later the fog started to lift and I could appreciate far more of the lush, wild, multi-green landscape all around me. This was more like it. I can't put my finger on it but there is a life to this part of the world that is just so ...... alive. Colours seem more vivid. Sounds are natural - there is nearly always the sound of rushing water. There is such a stunning variety of trees and plants, most of them growing wild. I have to work hard to travel here but it just seems so worth the effort.

Maybe the weather forecast was wrong.......I see patches of blue! Ha! Dumbass! ^_^
IMG_20220228_102417.jpg

MultiGreen! There's something about this road. Not the greatest picture but there's just something about it.......
IMG_20220228_102101.jpg

There is little easy or comfortable about today's cycling (and a whole lot that is uncomfortable) but the rewards, to me, are immense.
IMG_20220228_102756.jpg

I arrived into Florida for noon and fog and mist started rolling in again. By the time I coffeed and was leaving the weather forecast reasserted itself and the rain started to pour. There's rain and there's rain and this was the wet, soaking kind and while I was definitely disappointed to have rain on this road again I couldn't shake the feeling that it seemed appropriate. I was getting the "real" experience, not the "tourist" one. That "real" experience means limited views but an abundance of atmosphere in the form of swirling cloud, shimmering mists and mysterious landscapes fading in and out of vision. Not only are these things seen but that atmosphere is tangible, reaching into my bones. Comfortable? Not in the slightest! But an experience? AbSoLutely!

These buses transport everything.........
IMG_20220228_103140.jpg

To be continued.......

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 898 Monday, February 28, 2022, Pasto to Sandona 49 km Total KM 17110
Min meters 1709, Max Meters 2581,
Total Climb 743, Total Descent 1467
Min Temp 13 Max Temp 27 Ave Temp 17 /

The Sandona Loop - again! Part Two

A strange, "unofficial" shrine with the usual plaques

IMG_20220228_112655.jpg

The weather is closing in again but a scene like this has me off the bike and walking up and down because each angle opens up a different view. There's diversity and there's Colombia!
IMG_20220228_112931.jpg

I am being incredibly lucky with all the landslides!
IMG_20220228_113729.jpg

The rain has started and it is far from light. I'm cycling along a road I've already travelled, adding distance and meters (lots and lots of meters) that don't need to be added and trying to understand just why I'm doing it. These things hanging down go a part of the way to answering. A visible sign that I am somewhere different. Not home. I'm exploring.
IMG_20220228_121937.jpg

Yes, it's wet, foggy and cold. But it's alive! There's the sound of water cascading down the cliff face on my left. It's bloody hard work. It's cold when I stop but so rewarding. There's nothing special about this road that I haven't seen or felt before yet there's everything special about it.
IMG_20220228_125441.jpg

Despite the gloom there is colour and lots of it! OK, my phone struggles in the gloomy conditions and all the water doesn't help but it's there!
IMG_20220228_122754.jpg

There are waterfalls and little ríos raging everywhere it seems. These are more "heavy metal" than classical in tone, not surprising after all the recent rain, yet there's something vital and celebratory to the clashing soundtrack they provide to the day.
IMG_20220228_125731.jpg

It's no great picture but the red leaves on this tree bring such a bright, colourful burst of vivid life amongst the rain that I have to stop
IMG_20220228_192206.jpg

I might be cold and wet but I'm riding in the clouds. Riding in the clouds!
DSCN3211.jpg

I had a fair bit of descending to do and in these conditions it could be quite cold so I took my time. Despite the miserable conditions I was really enjoying myself and when I crested a hill and saw Sandona spread out below me I realised that I was actually a bit disappointed that the day was at an end. In fairness, it was quite early, about 2:30 (I had made good time) and I could have continued on a bit but I recalled that the next town along had felt uncomfortable the last time and besides I was in no rush. I also decided to skip the pleasant hostel I stayed in the last time outside Sandona in favour of gorging on grilled meat, lots of grilled meat, in town.

It's hard to credit but, but was disappointed to arrive here! Having struggled up a brutal gradient out of Sandona I knew I had a swift, possibly doggy-chasing descent and the day would be over. I was cold, wet, sore yet sad that the day's ride was over! There's just no pleasing me! :laugh:
IMG_20220228_143053.jpg

I rolled into town, up to the hotel from the last time, checked in and had a hot shower. Bliss!

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 899 Tuesday, March 01, Sandona to Yacuanquer 42 km Total KM 17152
Min meters 1599, Max Meters 2688,
Total Climb 1472, Total Descent 572
Min Temp 12 Max Temp 37 Ave Temp 21

I didn't bother looking at the weather forecast today because there was no need - the sky told me everything that I needed to know. And it was not good. I waited for the rain to stop, grabbed a coffee and some fried dough at the Plaza and had to race back to the room to escape a downpour. I waited for that to stop and then packed up and rolled off. I wasn't out of town when the rain returned.

I had been racing (and losing to ) the darkness the last time I had been on this stretch and I was pretty disappointed that there was little that I could see through the rain, the mist and the fog.

Despite not being able to see much at all there was no shortage of excitement today, also due to the weather. Rockfalls and landslides were the order of the day. There was one section of road, perhaps 1 km long, where the road had been filled with little rocks, most about half the size of a football, although some as large as a full size. Given that most of the traffic at that time of the morning was two-wheeled these remained scattered along the road in a bed of quickly dissipating mud as we weaved amongst the obstacles, the locals at a pace that horrified me. I reckoned that an entire section of the hillside beside the road had washed onto it, the rain and flowing water washing the soil away and leaving the rocks. Later, I meet a wall of mud and rocks that I was able to clamber over and later again a higher, deeper blockage that had me waiting in the rain with a long line of traffic for the workmen to clear it. It was an exciting, different kind of cycling but the day left no real impression on me which was a shame because I had thoroughly enjoyed coming this way back in December.

The one thing, though, that was different was the sense of camraderie, the sense that we were all in it together. There was a friendliness mixed in with all the falling rain that was good for the soul. At one particular blockage, negotiated by a group of motorcyclists from the opposite side, the last biker, a young woman, stopped to point me in the right direction, warning me where the mud was deep. Similarly, at a queue waiting my turn to squeeze through a gap or for workmen to clear the whole route someone inevitably approached for a chat. Oncoming traffic was limited to bicycles for the first couple of hours (four and more wheeled traffic being held up behind larger blockages) but when it did arrive, invariably in packs, it was considerate of the cyclist as we both weaved over and back on the muddy, rocky roads. When I was stopped to let them past received many waves, toots and calls of sympathy and support. Chatting to a motorcyclist at one of these enforced stops I learned that these delays are common at this time of the year along these roads.

Remembering that there was accomodation in Yacuanquer, the last town before I rejoined the highway, and that the town had charmed me on my first pass I had decided that this would be my destination - not the longest day by any stretch of the imagination but with a fair whack of climbing. In fact, it turned out to be almost a town too far since I was held up or slowed down so many times by rockfalls and mudslides.

Perhaps it was the weather, or perhaps my mood but the town was cold and inhospitable in every sense of the words when I arrived - a distinct contrast to the vibe on the road. It took ages to get a coffee at a stall, the man operating it doing a good job of ignoring me for as long as possible, a first, I think, in Colombia, although the lady who returned to work with him was far friendlier. My accommodation over a restaurant was freezing, damp, not very clean and tiny meaning that my wet clothes had no chance to dry. Dinner was Colombian, which is to say bland, flavourless and disappointing. At least I could wrap up warm and have a decent night's sleep.

No photos today!
You can see the landscape in better weather in this post:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...-just-tell-him-your-plans.254046/post-6614674

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 900 Wednesday, March 02, Yacuanquer to Ipiales 64 km Total KM 17216

Min meters 1781, Max Meters 2927,

Total Climb 1600, Total Descent 1403

Min Temp 13 Max Temp 27 Ave Temp 19

It was a strange situation this morning. Awake very early after a good, refreshing night's sleep I could get out but couldn't retrieve the bike until the restaurant opened about 8am. I hadn't thought to check this out last night but it wasn't significant as the rain was falling anyway.

If there's one thing I hate, and I mean, really, really HATE about this bike touring thing it's having to don wet clothes in the morning. In a room without windows and a cool temperature everything was still wet. Thinking ahead I put on my merino leggings. I had a long descent ahead of me.

I grabbed a coffee in the Plaza and watched the town come to life with a whimper rather than a bang. This town charmed me on my first pass through a few months ago but in the wet and cold morning it struck a sad, dying chord. I retrieved the bike, packed up, grabbed another coffee and set off, destination unknown.

I had a few options. Down the road was a roadside hotel with a restaurant (where I planned to breakfast), further along was Pedregal which would be my third time staying there. Pedregal was the place where I could get off the highway and take a loop to Ipiales. It was the loop I had thought about taking when heading north from Ipiales but rejected at the last moment - and had a wonderful ride covering old ground. Alternatively, I could stay on the Pan-American down to San Juan and another inhospitable room. If I really pushed myself I could get to Ipiales but that was a lot of climbing, most likely in rain. I'd make up my mind over breakfast.

First up was a 150 meter climb which warmed me up in my wet clothes. The rain threatened but stayed away. Then I was on the Pan American, four split lanes with a wonderful shoulder and all downhill. I donned my raingear for wind protection and set off.

The biggest challenge I had was trying not to undertake slow moving trucks! Instead, I'd bide my time then soar past them in the overtaking lane - what a thrill!

I arrived at my breakfast place and had an excellent breakfast and a think.

The loop would take two days, at least, on a road afflicted with landslides. After yesterday, I had a better understanding of landslides! Any delays would put me under pressure in Ipiales for getting a COVID test prior to the border. Also, on the news the night before there had been an "attack" on some kind of pipeline on that road.

I was feeling strong, feeling good and thought that I could push on to Ipiales. If that wasn't working out I had the backup of San Juan. And that's what I did. I psyched myself up to climb 1500 meters and off I went.

(As I was eating breakfast an email had arrived from RideWithGPS with my February "stats". Normally such things don't interest me but I'd ridden 23 of the 28 days and climbed a huge number of meters. Kilometers in fact! That was a huge boost on a cold, damp morning)

It was still all downhill, past Pedregal, and still down. At the bottom I lost my shoulder, the road reverted to two lanes, pretty poor quality and regular roadworks. I set off upwards and remembered why I didn't enjoy this section. There's a fair bit of roadworks going on, not necessarily on the road but around it, meaning a lot of dumper trucks. There's no shoulder, the edge is rough and with all the recent rain the edge is treacherous. Because of the roadworks traffic tended to arrive in bunches meaning I'd pull off and let it pass then resume in relative peace.

I recalled how much I enjoyed this on the way down and it was pretty clear why - for a start the weather was warm and dry and there was a lot less debris on the other side of the road. And I was freewheeling!

It wasn't fast but I was concentrating on the positives - no rain, at least not beyond a few drops. This was all familiar territory to me and I felt little need (and there were few opportunities) to stop. It's interesting how much time I "lose" taking all my photos normally. (And I wouldn't change a thing!)

Then the rain started. At first light enough to ignore, then heavier so I stopped and redonned my rain jacket. A km later it was off again - I was too warm. Mother Nature upped the ante another km along and I needed all my gear. I was wet (but not cold) in no time. Onwards and upwards.

A couple of Kms below San Juan the rain petered out and I was glad. I'd be tempted to stay if it was raining. I stopped for a decent lunch, basked a little in the sun when it came out, topped up my water, booked a hotel on Booking and headed off. Another 4-500 meters up.

I'd stopped at the friendly restaurant I'd used before, partly because of their decent WiFi. This time there was no sign of the big German Shepherd that had been left by passing Venezuelans but as I was leaving I heard a bark from up above. There, on the roof of the building was the unmistakable face of a big Shepherd! It lightened my heart to see him. The lady boss had been complaining about the fact that he had been left but clearly she didn't take out her frustrations on the poor dog.

More traffic made it trickier and my legs were showing the signs of two days of climbing in cold, wet weather. The sky kept changing, a few raindrops would fall and I'd hold my breath but they never turned into a shower. My spirits were high. I was pleased with myself that Ipiales was now in range and looking forward to a hot shower and a chance to relax before crossing the border. Another country! After a three month delay, that was exciting! Truth be told, I had done very little research on Ecuador other than an outline route to Quito and had booked two nights in the hotel. The second day would give me the time to get my Ecuadorian leg organised.

My hotel had been chosen for its location - an easy exit of the town. Ipiales hadn't impressed me much on my first visit and has a bad reputation. Rather than go through the town I was on the main road to the border and I had a couple of streets to the hotel. If they looked dodgy I'd go back around and approach from the city centre.

And that's when it happened. Less than a km from the hotel. On a road filled with slow moving rush hour traffic a young fella suddenly stepped out - my first instinct was to smile at him - and tried to grab me, simultaneously calling out. I put the foot down and gave him a shove. I was shocked and trying to compute what was going on.

It really is amazing the way our minds work. Parts of my brain were racing, analysing, planning at breakneck speed with a clarity that I can rarely claim.

I was convinced it wasn't serious until two buddies joined in one shoving me so that I hit the road. Then they were on me and I fought back.

That sounds completely dumb. Outnumbered three to one, flat on my back on the road. However, I was still convinced that this wasn't serious. There were two lanes of slow moving traffic - no-one was going to do anything serious with so many witnesses.

One had a plank of wood (at first I thought it was a machete) and another a screwdriver. I caught his wrist so that he couldn't use it. And kicked maniacally, calling out for help. In my head this couldn't be happening so publicly - all I needed was to stall them for a second or two. Then a fourth guy came in swinging kicks and pinning me to the ground. Then they were gone, running up a muddy slope along the road leaving me and Roccado lying in the middle of the lane.

Nobody stopped during the attack or afterwards. That made me angry. I think even a long blast of a horn may have been enough to unsettle them. I was remarkably calm as I picked myself up and a little bit proud of myself - they were gone. Then I realised that my phone was gone from my pocket. That's what the fourth guy had done. I recalled hearing "telefono" during the melee.

Less than a km from the hotel I resumed my ride. There was nothing else to do. Nobody approached me. Nobody even wound down a window. The cars just slowly rolled past me, some people averting their eyes, others staring blankly.

Already my brain was ticking along prioritising what I needed to do. I approached my turnoff cautiously but it looked ok and found the hotel.

I went in, explained what was after happening and asked if I could use a computer. I wanted to log in to my online accounts to change passwords.

And that's when everything started to go wrong.

Home was a stressful place.

Post Script

I wrote that up in Ipiales so it was pretty contemporaneous.

It was a very different experience from the robbery in Guatemala City. There, a gun set the tone and there was no-one else around. This was different (and would affect me differently).

We can tell ourselves that we know what we'd do in certain situations but unless we're trained and have practiced that's little more than pie-in-the-sky thinking.

I can't believe I fought back. It was incredibly dumb, yet, even now, I'm a little bit proud of that. I wouldn't label myself a coward but bravery wouldn't be one of my top ten attributes^_^.

I recall having the thought that whatever they might take from me they were also going to take Colombia from me - and I really didn't want to lose that. It might seem silly and romantic but that was a vivid thought during the struggle.

I'm also a little bit proud of the fact that my calls for help were in Spanish!

I was very angry when they left and turned my ire on the line of traffic, especially a large, white SUV that was slowly trying to manoeuvre around me and Roccado on the road. My yelling included expletives in English as well as Español.

Physically, I had hurt my shoulder, hip and my head, chest and legs had received some kicks. The zip on my Arkel handlebar bag (already struggling) was busted and my trangia, packed in a front pannier, got a bang that makes the two halves tricky to connect but still functional.

Obviously such an event had effects. Thankfully, I was able to focus on the proximity to the border and the fact that I "knew" Ipiales (and hadn't liked it) and was able to isolate the event as being "outside" of Colombia. It hasn't changed my opinion of Colombia at all. And yes, I did sit down and go through that process.

The longer term effects were a tad more sinister.

In my head if something like this happened it would have happened on a quiet road with no-one around. But the reality was so very different. Long lines of slow moving traffic, the usual lots of people along the road - vendors, people waiting for lifts, beggars - was not how I expected it to happen. This is a scene I encounter daily, several times a day, at least, and shaking off the memory has proven to be more difficult. Having a gun pointed at me as in Guatemala is so rare, so "out there" that it was relatively easy to "box away". A young fella stepping out into the road is much more difficult.

No photos again today - now you know why! - but you can see the ladscape is this (and subsequent posts):
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...-just-tell-him-your-plans.254046/post-6612619

Chat? Yes Please!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day(s) 901-903 Thursday, March 03 - Saturday March 05

Lost Days in Ipiales

Yeah, I'm calling this "lost days" even though they weren't. It sure felt like it though.

After trying to log into my email and Google on a laptop in the hotel with no success I went out to find a phone shop.
The girl looking after me was very kind and efficient. I got a new phone (and a throwaway one as a gift!) and set up with a new SIM and returned to the hotel and the frustration began.

Despite having passwords I was locked out of Google and Hotmail (Outlook) because both detected access from a new device in a new location. I needed my phone to verify access. Dumbass had presumed that alternating the email addresses as recovery emails would be enough. It wasn't.

It might be just me but I found thinking difficult under the circumstances. Thinking and especially remembering. There was definitely an element of shock after the robbery, but not immediately. In the immediate aftermath I was (in my humble opinion) focused, cool and logical. A little later, though, especially after having to recount the tale, remembering passwords was difficult. Then typing them out correctly was difficult too!

I'm not going to go into all the jigs and reels of everything but to say it was stressful would be an understatement. I arrived on Wednesday and left on Sunday. I may write up a post for the general forum on just what is involved and how we can protect ourselves. I thought I had a pretty good grasp on things and had enough back doors to let me back in. Ha! Dumbass!^_^

The other thing is just how invasive the humble mobile phone has become and how powerful our online accounts are.

Osmand, for example, is linked to my Google account. No Google account and I have to download Osmand again and have lost all my favourites, all my settings. And my (years old) bargain subscription.
Apps like Strava, Booking etc. can be linked to Google too (mine weren't, thankfully). No Google and all those are lost too.
My banking app needs my phone to be registered. New phone? Lots of problems.

This wasn't a problem in Guatemala when I "lost" my previous phone because I had my tablet with the same accounts. It was a simple process to register the new phone. This time I didn't have the tablet. I gave it away to a little boy along the way.

If there's one lesson from this it's to have a second device with the same accounts either with us or someone at home where the accounts have been opened before and with the passwords.
Another lesson is to simulate this at home before we leave!

The insidiousness only becomes clear with time. My contacts are all gone. Phone numbers, addresses and email addresses. I don't carry a little black book anymore so I have to search online. A new Facebook account. Even after messaging over and back one of my closest friends was still skeptical as to my identity. It's a common scam - an email from a known address, a crisis situation, a request for money.
My passwords and pin numbers are backed up in my Google account.
All my notes, my Travelogue and all my photos are gone too.
Even things like my YouTube playlists are gone.

To cross the border I needed a vaccine cert or a COVID test, a recent change. Previously I'd have needed both. The vaccine cert I had on my (old) phone and in my Hotmail account. But one was stolen, the other I was locked out of. Also to consider, my time in Colombia was ticking down. If I took too long to get the documents I needed to leave, I may be overstaying my visa!

To recover my Hotmail I had to answer questions such as when and where the account was opened, the name on the account (had I even used my name and date of birth correctly?) previous passwords. I had to provide email addresses and subject headings of recent emails I had sent. And since the account was so old a personal security question (not done anymore).
Slightly frazzled, I made a mess of the first attempt, had to wait 24 hours to try again, the second attempt failing but successful on the third day.

Google was a different story. I couldn't even begin the recovery process caught in a frustrating loop because it only wanted to use my (old) phone despite me having an email from Google to my Hotmail account warning of an attempt to access my account. With my Hotmail account I had access to all my important documents - COVID cert, insurance etc. I parked Google and moved on.

To access my online banking I needed to register the phone with a standalone card scanner. For security I won't go into specifics but I needed to call NL (another wait because of time difference) and was frustrated. The problem was that I needed to use a pin number that I could not recall but that was saved in my Google account - hidden and scrambled. Thankfully, my friend in NL (she clearly knows me so well^_^) had written the number down. Two days of stress sorted in a chat!

Had that not worked, I had left an "emergency" stash with another good friend. Enough to get me to Quito and back to Europe but it would have meant returning to NL directly to sort out the bank issue. Interestingly, he only was satisfied that it was me contacting him after we spoke. He commented that my messages read "oddly". Under high stress my language had changed.

(That's good evidence of my cockiness! My bank account was using a friend's address in NL so that if I needed a new card (as in México) someone I trust can receive it, the pin and send them on to me. A different friend in Ireland had a reserve cash amount in the event of a banking failure that could be used to bail me out of jail, buy plane tickets or be wired to me. Forgetting a rarely used PIN number messed up the former and it took a while to convince the latter that I might be needing the dosh! Oh, if you want to give the Man or Woman upstairs a laugh..... just tell 'em your plans! ^_^)

With the bank issue solved and access to my Hotmail I could move on.

Lots of time was wasted in various ways.
For example, to make an international call on my phone (not possible in the hotel and "call cards" were only available for US/Ecuador and Guatemala) took two trips to the network shop - once to buy the appropriate credit package, a second to get a network specific exit code.
I contacted the Irish department of health for a copy of my Digital COVID cert (granted months previously on the strength of my Texan vaccine) while I had no access to Hotmail. Of course, a whole new email address caused problems. Eventually I was promised a copy in 48 hours. Relief? (It never arrived).
Another waste of time was a trip to the Police station to make a report. I may as well have been reporting the rain! No interest other than trying to help me to block the old phone. With only the number* there was nothing I could do.

*Of course, I didn't know my number! It was written down in my phone! Thankfully, I often have to give my phone number when checking into a hotel. I tracked down the number of the hotel in Sandona (not easy!), called, explained the situation and the lady read my number back to me. Sometimes being the strange guy on a bike helps people remember me!

I took to attempting a task and going as far as I could then taking a walk to relax the brain and nerves. I found a nice cafe (about the only one in Ipiales) with good WiFi and tried to relax. Having lost all my notes I had nothing on Ecuador. I took to reading the familiar blogs to refresh my addled brain and trying to get myself into the exciting, "looking forward" state of mind. With mixed results.

I downloaded as many of the apps I usually use that I could recall - Osmand, iOverlander etc., a task that my addled brain found surprisingly difficult. On my phone I go to a button that opens up all the related apps but to actually stop, think and list those same apps without a prompt? Under stress? Surprisingly tricky! Once I could recall them it was reasonably straightforward and done when I was feeling particularly helpless - one more thing accomplished.

In between I considered and tried different ways to access my Google account. Use a familiar device (phone, tablet, computer) on a familiar WiFi network they say! Ha! DumbAsses!
The last place I had used WiFi was San Juan and as an illustration that it never rains but it pours (in every sense) the road back to San Juan was blocked by a landslide!
On one of my walks I remembered staying in Las Lajas, not too far away. I set off one morning, was instantly recognised at the hotel "You came back!", explained the situation and logged into the WiFi. No change.

There was a lot to be grateful for too, though, in all the stress.
The guys in the Hotel were helpful and considerate. The lady in the phone shop was efficient, honest and helpful. The guy in the phone network shop was patient and helpful getting me set up to make international calls then dropped everything to help me when I still couldn't call.

I did not like Ipiales, felt very antsy and stayed indoors after dark. The hotel had a night guard armed with a shiny revolver. I'm sure it was so shiny on purpose and as I had an evening smoke and a chat he confirmed that it was needed and was often withdrawn from its holster when a motorcyclist went past. Apparently, they are the worst.

Once I had enough access to continue I settled on a Sunday morning departure. I was not going to shed a tear for Ipiales yet was very reluctant to get on the road. A sense of dread hung over me.

No. There are no feckin' photos of Ipiales:laugh:. You'll just have to visit, yourself!

Chat? Yes Please!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
For anyone not aware, or perhaps reading this later I've "lost" my phone, my notes, a load of photos and access to my Google backup.

I'm going to continue this from March 6 here in the hope that I'll be able to come back later and add in the missing days.

If it's confirmed that I can do this I'll leave these posts here. The alternative is to wait perhaps months. I have decent WiFi now so will take advantage of it. Enjoy!

Mod Edit 26/12/2022:
@HobbesOnTour has regained access to his data, has written up the lost days, the missing posts have now been added in chronological order. Enjoy! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 904 Sunday, March 06, 2022, Ipiales (Colombia) to Tulcan (Ecuador) 14km Total KM 17230
Min meters 2779, Max Meters 2957,
Total Climb 229, Total Descent 175
Min Temp 11 Max Temp 22 Ave Temp 14

Country Number Nine! Ecuador!

There was a fluttering of anxiety last night trying to get to sleep. The alarm was set for just after 5am and the plan was to get up, brew a coffee, maybe have some bread and peanut butter, pack up and be moving with first light. Of course, things didn't work out that way.

My focus had been on retrieving what I'd need to cross the border - my email from Colombian Immigration extending my stay and my EU vaccine cert. I'd forgotten about the other things I had to do - register with Colombia Immigration online to tell them I was leaving and register with Ecuador immigration that I wanted to visit. Doing those ate up some time and besides, I was too nervous for even a coffee.

The street was deserted when I went outside. Both a good and a bad thing. I tried to look on the positives. I'd be going back onto the road where I got jumped albeit a little further along. A deep breath and I set off.

Adiós Colombia, Hola Ecuador. Country Number Nine!
DSCN3245.JPG

Anxiety is a funny thing. Before an important business meeting, a first date or those last seconds in a rugby match when my team are defending a narrow lead or fighting for the winning score I thrive on the anxiety. I enjoy it.it gives me energy. I wasn't thriving this morning!

Once on the main road it ran upwards and I felt very slow, very exposed. Thankfully, there was practically no-one out and I felt bad giving the odd early riser a wide berth. I don't like feeling that way.

An elegant but disused just inside Ecuador
It was only about 3 or 4 km to the border and I arrived with a sigh of relief. Security is normally pretty good at a border.

First job was to check out of Colombia. No queue, I parked and locked Roccado (first border crossing I did this) and went inside. He had no interest in my online form only the permission to stay. Some clicks on a computer and I was done.

Ecuador welcomes me with a hill!
Onto to the bike and on to Ecuador. Stopped on the bridge by a friendly Policeman he told me I had to join a queue of pedestrians to go through the COVID formalities and then I could proceed to immigration.

There were a few roadside places making bricks. Some kind of a kiln and large, covered areas to store the bricks
I joined a queue of maybe thirty people already waiting on a railed footpath on the bridge. It was about 7:10. And raining lightly.
It was about 8:10 when a lady showed up and started handing out forms to be filled in. In the rain and no pens! When I got mine I realised it was a paper version of what I had filled in online. The lady behind me went up to the official and was able to get approved. I did too, showing my COVID cert. Over an hour waiting for a one minute check.

Tulcan welcomed me with a playground for bikes!
The immigration office was empty and I was seen straight away. A stamp in the passport and I was outside again with Roccado. I looked for a coffee but nowhere was open so had a ciggie instead and gave myself a minute or two to appreciate where I was. Ecuador! Country number 9 of this little adventure! Not bad. Not bad at all!

I set off up the hill. A decent road with a very wide shoulder with no-one around was what the doctor ordered. The morning was cool and still wet so the climbing kept me warm.

It was a very bright and kid friendly place
It's not fair on Colombia but there was a sense of relief to get away from the border. Ipiales has been scrunched up and tossed on the side of the road. The further I get away from it the better. But that does not apply to Colombia. At all.

Colombia has been a fantastic experience. For travelling by bike I think it's the best place on this trip (Spain still has the number one spot, I think). The sheer variety of the landscapes and the speed with which they change is impossible for me to describe. It should be experienced.
There's something for everyone from wild back roads to excellent highways. The level of respect shown to cyclists and people on bikes is beyond what I've seen anywhere else. And the coffee!!
México has stolen my heart and still is my favourite place in terms of the whole experience but for cycling, Colombia leads.

The Plaza in Tulcan with a flying horse!

It really didn't take that long to reach Tulcan, the first town along. I was a bit antsy on the approach with people out and about but not enough to make me feel secure. The main road leads right into the Plaza where I hoped to get some coffee at least, and maybe breakfast. I didn't see anywhere - I was looking not just for food but a sense of security for Roccado as well as myself. I did a lap and headed out the way I'd come to a place I'd passed.

Another perspective on the Plaza

I ate a decent breakfast but the coffee was a disappointment - hot milk and add instant coffee!

Information boards for refugees at the top of the first hill in Ecuador. The map shows possible routes through the country with places marked off that offer help to the refugees. The other board has a list of all the organisations offering assistance and contact details.

With all my notes lost in Google I reread a few blogs on CGOAB over the last few days. Tulcan was one of the places I wanted to visit. It has a famous cemetery and this is one that actually welcomes tourists.
Tomorrow, there's the possibility of taking a backroad through interesting country and camping overnight at a Nature reserve. Unfortunately, the road is notoriously bad and especially tough in wet weather and there's been no shortage of rain lately.
And it's Sunday, a good day to take the pulse of a town.
I decided to stay.
One of my shortest days ever. One of the most unpleasant too, at least at the start. Ipiales is literally another country now. Time to let a new country charm me.

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 904 Sunday, March 06, 2022, Tulcan

There were some well worn buildings that oozed character.

Street Art. Tulcan bills itself as the Ecuadorian Capital of cycling - I have no idea why. The bottom photo is of a recreational area that had the usual playground attractions placed between a weaving path for kids on bikes. Closed when I arrived it was still a bright and cheerful place

More street art.

And yet more!

A beautiful church. I must be cursed that so many churches I visit have scaffolding!

More street art. The bottom one is for a Mexican restaurant.

A brighter perspective of the Plaza

From the Plaza I can see this unusual Church and this ugly civic building

Lots of interesting doors

Lots of elegant buildings hinting of a prosperous past

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 904 Sunday, March 06, 2022, Tulcan Cemetery

You'll have to forgive me. The cemetery in Tulcan has been long on my list of places I wanted to visit. A cemetery, they say, that people are dying to get into!

Just like a day well used produces a sweet dream, a life well lived delivers a sweet death.

One of the more elegant graves

A street of death. It sounds horrific but in reality it wasn't. The decorations are bright and vibrant, often with photographs of the inhabitants. Some have cheap toys, probably solar powered, that away and move and bring a life to a still scene. Being a Sunday many graves were being tended to.

A closer example

The cemetery is famous for its trees that have been coiffured into amazing shapes and tunnels like this. For me, in a cemetery, absolutely stunning

All these were started by one man. Who now resides in this cemetery

I don't know if the designs are based on traditional figures.....

As well as the streets of death (my own label) there are crypts and more "normal" graves. I didn't realise it at the time, but up high where this photo was taken from was a children's section. Heartbreaking. I had been enjoying my wandering up until that point but needed a break.

More figures

And yet more.....

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 905 Monday, March 07, 2022, Tulcan to Reserve El Angel 34km Total KM 17264
Min meters 2986, Max Meters 3746,
Total Climb 914, Total Descent 166
Min Temp 10 Max Temp 37 Ave Temp 21

Decisions, decisions....... And consequences!

I slept pretty well but was awoken about 4:30 by two people having a conversation. Then the water that had stopped while I was brushing my teeth returned and started making noise as it ran down the drain. Up to turn off the tap then back onto the bed and into my sleeping bag - it was that kind of place. I didn't get up until close to 7am, got packed and rolled out into a dry day. I climbed to the edge of town and pulled in for breakfast and a much needed coffee. To give an idea of diet and such in these parts the simple eating place had a sign promoting a special price for a coke if added to a lunch ...... or breakfast!

Leaving Tulcan, a well spread out town. There are definite hints of the U.S. with the advertising signs.
I had two options today. Stick on The Pan American, visit a couple of towns and stay in one of them. Or get off the Pan American and have an adventure.
I'm not sure if it was that the Pan American appealed to me more or that the adventure option was unappealing but I set off with two routes in Gizmo pretty sure that I'd stick on the main road. The truth of the matter is that the thought of taking a backroad made me anxious. And this one was notoriously quiet.

On the road to El Angel. It didn't take long for the views to open up
Coming up to the decision point as luck would have it a roadie appeared and crossed over in front of me. I asked him about the quality of the back road to El Angel - great he said. I'd asked my coffee guy yesterday and he said the same. i think I was hoping for someone to tell me it was crap. At the turn I stopped for a little chat with myself. Did I come here to cycle main roads? No! How many backroads have I ridden and what problems have I had? Many and none. Am I a big sissy? Of course!

I took the turn.

I just love that there's one tree left in the middle of that field. There's a story there, somewhere
I stopped at the first house with someone outside and asked again. Sure, no problem to bike it. Great road! Off I went. Not long after the road split and mine turned to crap! I didn't want to turn around because that would mean sailing past that man and proving that I was a wuss. *I* can call myself a wuss but I don't want random Ecuadorians thinking that.:laugh:

And so started the adventure.

The top of the first climb
DSCN3285.JPG

I'd read about this road up to a Nature reserve that welcomed overnighters. But I'd also read of the road and none of it was good. Especially not in wet weather and it seems to have rained every day for the last two weeks. But I'd also read of the strange Paramo landscape like what I had seen in Colombia around the Trampoline.

Everything was so changeable from the road surface to the views to the temperature. Note the dark colour of the volcanic soil. I was trying not to think of Costa Rica!
It started off fine with rough but reasonable roads, a reasonable gradient and it wasn't long until I was getting decent views of open farmland. The patchwork quilt of fields has carried over from southern Colombia and I found myself being reminded a lot of Ireland. I'd about 30km of this climbing about 1000 meters. It was looking good.
I was passing farmland with people working by hand. Again, I got to see onions being harvested - back breaking work by the look of it - by a friendly family of all ages. Later, lost in the effort of staying upright on such a rough road I got an awful fright when a woman working in a field above called out a very cheerful "Buenas Tardes" (Good afternoon). I replied just as cheerfully once the shock had passed and added what a beautiful part of the world she was working in. "And peaceful/quiet" was her happy response which did make me wonder if she was having a humorous dig at me for calling back to her and shattering that tranquility with my funny accented Spanish.

I just love this shot. "Adventure", it declares!
I had a climb to about 3500 meters, then a short descent then a gentler climb back to over 3700 meters. I made it to the top of the first climb and celebrated the fabulous view with a snack. Unfortunately, the homemade cookies I'd bought in a store had been battered to crumbs. Oh well, they'll liven up my morning porridge.
From then on the landscape changed and the road went to pot.

It's a great road, they said.....

It'll be grand they said.....

No problem they said.....

No problem on a bike, they said. I'm barely in Ecuador and I wouldn't trust an Ecuadorian as far as I could cycle without hitting a hole, water or mud! ^_^

To be continued......

Chat? Yes Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom