The Big Big Trip Journal! If you want to make the man (or woman) upstairs laugh, just tell him your plans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 811, Thursday, December 02 Mocoa to abandoned Police Station* 32 km Total KM 14661
Min meters 591, Max Meters 2126
Total Climb 1678 Total Descent 186
Min Temp 17 Max Temp 34 Ave Temp 24

*For Netman
Osmand: 1.06948° N, 76.73648° W
Google: 1.0694800, -76.7364800

The Trampoline of Death Day One Part 4

Can you see the road? I can't possibly describe the excitement that I felt looking back at where I'd travelled.

From about here switchbacks became so prevalent that they will be in almost any picture. Another thing hard to avoid was waterfalls. They were everywhere from alongside the road to way off on far mountains.

Magic tape in action!

I discovered a new member of my persona; Wonder Wuss!
Wonder Wuss (unlike me) has an instinctive grasp of distance and depth. So, in those circumstances where I stopped either to take a photo or because of traffic and I was setting off again, Wonder Wuss came to the fore.
Foot on pedal, apply a bit of power, lift opposite foot off the ground and try to maintain momentum. The camber of the road tugs me in the direction of the drop, that half buried rock nudges the front wheel even closer to doom and in a bounce or two I'm only about 20 or 30 cm from the edge ....... Of the 1.5 meter invisible boundary of the edge of the road. Then Wonder Wuss takes over planting both feet on the ground, both brakes jammed tight and insists on pushing past the tricky bit.
It's a strange thing but this happened less and less as the day wore on. I guess we really do get more comfortable as we push out our boundaries. Literal and metaphorical.

I could spend ages looking back on this road watching it weave around and down, sometimes with traffic on it.

Sometimes I couldn't see 100 meters in fron of me but I could see a couple of kms behind me!

Not the greatest photo in the world but it gives an idea of what the road can be like - rough, tough, steep, a bit crazy and feckin' brilliant!

What a view!!!! I am so damn lucky!!!!!!

Layers and layers! When I had a safe spot and it was a time when a batch of traffic was passing I'd wait, smoke a ciggie and soak up every second, every sound.

15 minutes later than the second last photo I'm up higher and there's an extra "layer" of road.

To be continued.......

Chat? Yes Please!
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/chat-zone-for-the-big-big-trip-journal.254098

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 811, Thursday, December 02 Mocoa to abandoned Police Station* 32 km Total KM 14661

*For Netman

The Trampoline of Death Day One Part 5

Lucky, lucky, lucky

Every now and then something to make sure I'm still awake!!

A magical road!

There are four layers or levels of road in this one!

Similar shot with a different perspective. There were times when I was feeling very emotional looking down on these scenes. Not only was I living my dream I was doing it in such spectacular circumstances.

There's always a tree!

How many different shades of mountains can you see? Loads of time spent here. Agog I think would be the most appropriate word.

I'm trying to capture the steepness at the side of the road. Hopefully it comes out better than on my phone!

Sometimes, not often, but sometimes the climb was gentle, the road was safe and it was pleasant riding

You can see the waterfall coming down, crossing the road and continue on down. Sorry, but you can't hear the magical music it makes.

To be continued.......

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

*For Netman

The Trampoline of Death Day One Part 6

A magical, magical road!!

Ten minutes later......

Looking down......

Cycling into the clouds. By rights I should be getting tired but the road was inspiring me along

By now I'm happy enough to roll on down here! It feels feckin' great!!!

When I can't see the Magic Road it's because of the Magic Mist!

Even if visibility drops to nothing there are all kinds of interesting plants and mosses along the road

Uncompacted clay and stones, minimal visibility, magic tape..... I wanted adventure and I'm sure getting it!!

Sometimes there's a crack - that's where the light comes in (apologies to Leonard Cohen)

11 minutes after the mist photo above there is this..... I just don't have the words!!

To be continued.......

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

*For Netman

The Trampoline of Death Day One Part 7

I'm getting pretty high now and well above the clouds

The power of the sun can be switched off it seems

And then it does this......

And then it disappears again......

But not for long!! I'm near the end for today and my legs are tired so this last section takes a while....... I don't think I'd have gone any faster if someone had strapped rockets to the bike

The Mighty, Mighty Roccado!

No words

No words with more zoom!

Nope! It's not the same spot!

And neither is this!

To be continued.......

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

*For Netman

The Trampoline of Death Day One Part 8

Strangely today I didn't have one of those "reality meets the concept" moments.

Once I had crossed the river and started on the Trampoline a question occurred to me. Just why am I travelling this road?
I'm a lazy sod at the best of times and have no interest in knocking off "amazing feats". I know people that will run a marathon or sign up for triathlon or do one of those obstacle courses that involves lots of mud and tears. The thought of doing such a thing repels me.
I enjoy travelling on a bike. That's it. And yet here I am travelling one of the most dangerous, extreme roads on the planet! And I've no idea why.

I also asked myself what it must be like to fly into a place and do a route like this or the Alto de Letras (there are services based around that idea). As I rode up I wondered what those people would be missing.
Comfort would be one thing. Not ass-on-the-saddle comfort but the understanding of local drivers and customs. I'm no longer freaked out to see traffic on the wrong side of the road (it's an early warning system for a bad section of road). As I keep saying I feel very comfortable here. Would a new arrival feel so comfortable?
Then there's the scenery. I've become quite accustomed to it all. That's not to say I'm bored. Not at all. But I wonder if someone from far away would be able to process it all? Would they have the time and the luxury to make friends with the trees? To know which ones speak to them and lift their spirits?

The final bend of an amazing day!

There weren't many people on the road. The traffic, even on this road was a pleasure to deal with. I did my best to pull off when traffic was coming in either direction but occasionally I got caught out in a narrow section and someone had to wait until I had a safe spot to pull in. Not a smidgen of resentment or impatience! In fact, waves, smiles, greetings and toots of support when I raised a hand in recognition. A very bike friendly road.
One truck driver did barrel past me early enough in the day causing me to swear, jam on the brakes and lean precariously out of his way. Looking angrily up towards the cab I was met with a happily grinning face that I could see absolutely no malice in.

This is the view as I hung around waiting for my dinner. It was cold, to be sure, but feckin' amazing!

Back near the start where there were a few houses I rode slowly past a woman walking with her young daughter and a curious pup. I said my greetings and got a forced reply. A little later, stopped for a photo they passed again the pup both curious and timid of me. My smile wasn't returned. Setting off again the pup reacted badly to me and scuttered over to the "wrong" side of the road. Unfortunately, a dumper truck was coming down. I hightailed it over to the very edge of the truck's side to give the pup all the room to cross back to the woman now frantically calling him while I was waving to draw the driver's attention to the dog. Puppy returned to the right side, I stayed in the ditch on the left, truck passed with no mortalities and the woman found her tongue telling me what a great journey I was going to have with lots of beautiful photos!
One blog I had read before inspired the note "not as friendly as before". A couple had noted over the whole Trampoline that people shunned them, ignored them and generally made them feel unwelcome. I didn't notice that at all, quite the opposite in fact. I passed numerous workmen either large groups working on one specific job or, more commonly, two guys in the middle of nowhere filling holes, trimming edges, clearing drains and received nothing but goodwill and often short chats. If these guys (or drivers) felt any resentment for someone on a pleasure jaunt on their workplace they kept it well hidden.

The famed "cellphone tower #2". And I cycled up to it!

At the end of the day I had a profound sense of gratitude. I had completed day one successfully and safely. There was no turning back now! Going back would be just as difficult as going ahead.
I can't remember when I first read about this road or whose account it was. I know I looked at YouTube videos but I always preferred the written word and the still photos. More for my imagination to work with. I can pause over a word or sentence as long as I like, linger over a photo without the next scene rushing in. So, there I was nearly atop a mountain in Southern Colombia grateful to all those who have done this road before me, to Andy Peat, to Tim Tower and the Shaws and lots of others too.
I had prepared the ground, especially with my trip to Spain but they (and others) had supplied a seed to put in that soil. I'd tended that seed, at one time thought it had been destroyed, but kept it alive and it had bloomed into today.
Then there's all the others who listened to my ideas, with incomprehension to be sure, but who didn't undermine me, didn't try to scare me off. Maybe they thought I was bullshitting, hell, there were times I thought I was bullshitting. Not anymore!^_^
And to the bike. The mighty Roccado. 25 years old, 7 speed, scratched, scarred, worn and treated with nail polish. This bike has done everything I've asked of it and never complained about its load or mocked me for pushing.
And a bit of gratitude to myself for giving myself this great gift.

That's where I'll be sleeping!

Tomorrow I'll wake up on the Trampoline of Death!

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 812, Friday, December 03 abandoned Police Station to Restaurant La Cabana* 29 km Total KM 14690
Min meters 1874, Max Meters 2484
Total Climb 1147 Total Descent 671
Min Temp 13 Max Temp 28 Ave Temp 18

*For Netman
*Osmand: 1.12692° N, 76.84196° W
*Google: Restaurante La Cabaña
https://maps.google.com/?cid=9067019459079115844&entry=gps

The Trampoline of Death Day Two: Magical mysterious mayhem

*Same story as yesterday. The photos in the first post refer to the early part of the day.....

If yesterday was about an epic road and scenery today is about the people and the flora.

Ah, I am so peed off with my tent.
A damp floor meant the floor of the tent was wet. Light rain during the night added slightly to the water on the floor leaving me with a soaking tent in the morning. It looks like I'll need to pick up some kind of tarp now.

I woke up about 2:30am bright as a feckin' button. I read until I fell asleep again then woke up properly just after 6am. Slow to get packed - wet sleeping bag, wet sleeping pad and wet tent plus the difficulty of breaking it down in a confined space - I eventually wandered back up for a coffee. And my morning abloutions. The nice couple didn't want any money for my coffee and I had to insist. The first act of kindness of the day.

Setting off into the mist and the mystery. It may not have been the greatest start to a day but I was full of enthusiasm

A light drizzle was falling amidst the mist as I set off. I'd a couple of hundred meters of climbing to get to the summit, then a drop, then more climbing until the end of the day, a small settlement where I hoped to camp. Truthfully that wasn't looking like a comfortable option given how wet my gear was and the uncooperative weather for a chance to dry it out.

There was a restaurant at the top and I hoped to breakfast there before the descent. Heavy mist and a steep ascent made those 2kms long, slow, tough but interesting. I'd be enveloped in mist then round a bend into clarity. One moment visibility was 20 meters, another I could see for miles. In no rush I was enjoying myself. I could stop and watch a patch of mountain across the valley appear then slowly disappear again.

The mist came and went at will, at least around me. I knew it was denying me views of the valleys below but after yesterday it would be churlish in the extreme to complain

The 2km became even longer when I got a puncture! I debated about stopping and fixing it in a tiny passing place or pushing on up. For safety's sake I thought it better to push and as I set off a gust of wind scattered the mist showing me my target.
There were a few huts bunched together consisting of a couple of restaurants/shops and an ever present tyre repair hut. I unloaded Roccado and set about repairing the puncture. Everything being caked in mud made it a messy exercise. A friendly truck driver was chatting to me from his cab as I worked.
I think I was lucky to have the puncture when I did because as I was putting everything back together I noticed that the bolt connecting my front rack to the brake was loose and that the brakes would eventually fail! Good timing in front of a descent! I tightened it up, had to readjust the brakes and gave everything the once over one more time. I'd done it in San Juan de Villalobos checking the racks, mudguards and my replacement nuts on the Ortliebs. All had been good - I'd never thought of checking the brakes!

Once done and reloaded it was time for food. This time it was all men doing the cooking and I was served up a delicious piece of meat off the grill, rice, beans, fried potatoes and an egg. It was simply delicious and one of the best roadside meals I've had in a long, long time. Just as I was finishing my coffee a group of men came in, one very boisterous wanting to know all about my trip. He was so commanding, so loud that no-one but him or I could participate in the conversation! Pleasant and entertaining it was and became more so when I went to pay and the voice boomed that he was picking up my tab. A guest in his country it was the least he could do. I tried to argue but that booming voice drowned me out. I looked to the cook to make sure it was ok and he nodded then smiled at my compliments for his cooking. My best meal in ages and I didn't have to pay.
Outside, I was just finishing up my post dining ciggie when the group drifted outside again. This time another chap started hitting me with questions and the others joined in until the voice rejoined the group. He's from Sibundoy where I'm heading towards and promised me a warm welcome - "his people were good people" while his colleagues assured me that Sibundoyans weren't all like him! It was a lovely, friendly group conversation and I was well able to hold my own.

It could be miserable..... I preferred mysterious^_^

I set off again, downhill. You might think that downhill is easy but not on these roads! It's hard work trying to control the bike and speed. Mist came and went, rain came and went. Extremities got cold. A wet, slippy, bouncy road with sheer drops on one side sure is interesting!

The cracks and the gaps that I had bounced over yesterday were little ríos today, carving their way between and around embedded rocks, turning potholes into little lakes. A child's geography lesson in vivid, minature scale. All day there was a constant display of waterfalls, usually beside me, sometimes way off in the distance. Little ríos ran alongside the road on both sides too and moving water was the soundtrack of my day.

When the mist was so dense that I could see feck all there were always phantom trees to amuse me

The mist swamped any chance of views but Mother Nature had that covered - the vegetation all around, within touching distance, was a joy to behold. Mosses on rocks were vivid reds and pinks a beautiful contrast to the dull, grey weather. The sheer variety of plants growing out of the cliffs whether upwards, sideways or sometimes hanging down (after something collapsed) was mind boggling to me. The coating of moisture on plants gave a sparkle and life to leaves and ferns again so welcome and in contrast to the gloom everywhere. Occasionally rushlike plants had leaves that started as green morphed towards yellow and finished in red.
Every now and then as if to let me know what I was missing the wind would blow a hole in the mist and cloud let me see a mountain and possibly a section of my road way ahead or far behind then slowly fill it back in.

Waterfalls were everywhere again. Some rushing and pounding others toodling along and tinkling.

Then the climbing started all over again. I don't really notice the climbing on these roads - all my attention is on staying upright. Every now and then a steep turn would have me noticing but otherwise I slowly ascended into a clearer sky. Checking Gizmo every now and then was a pleasant surprise to see a new, higher number. These days progress isn't in kms - it's in meters!

There were still more than enough hairy moments to keep me satisfied^_^

The wet surface was easier than yesterday for climbing. A bit sticky, perhaps, but less slippy. I was counting on a restaurant stop after about 19km and with the late start and the puncture I was thinking of calling it a day there. Most of the places along here allow camping. It's basic, but it's possible. Unfortunately, the restaurant wasn't where I expected it to be! That meant another 11 km to my original destination. 11 km is not far but on these roads it is time consuming. I had the makings of a picnic lunch with me so food wasn't the issue, sleeping was.

The wind blew a hole in the cloud and gave me a view of the mountain ahead. I scrambled to grab a photo before ot disappeared again

Then I came across a restaurant, not the one I was expecting, but welcome nonetheless. I had chorizo with rice and frijoles from an all female kitchen and chatted to a couple of truck drivers as I ate. One was expounding on the need for a sachet of energy to mix with water to get me up the mountain. The other agreed with me that natural stimulants like coffee were more enjoyable. When the two boys left I was the only person in the little restaurant and suddenly became aware of my gender as the women suddenly focused their attention on poor little old me!
A cursory run through my trip and the conversation quickly focused on my single status with lots of in jokes shared amongst the ladies. They knew to slow down their speech when talking to me so I knew when the tempo increased they were talking about me. I'd had a look around outside and saw no comfortable places for a tent and fearful of a night alone with this pack I headed back out into the weather.

Part of the cliff on the right fell away so the vegetation above is hanging down. O was getting so comfortable with the drops that I could notice these things as I cycled past

I encountered more roadworks but as a cyclist in the rain was permitted to pass. Dumper trucks were depositing black stone and soil on the road, a big machine was spreading it along the road and a steamroller was attempting to compact it down. Messy at first, then a bit better, then ultimately much smoother it helped a lot with the climbing even if it made the edges more perilous. I was reasonably confident of making my target before dark so wasn't feeling any pressure. When the rain lightened and eventually stopped I took it as a license to relax a bit. There was still lots of mist and low cloud and they played with the slopes that seemed very close, revealing, hiding and revealing once more. At first glance these dense hillsides look green but in real life the random pink/purple trees are striking.

The scar of a landslide

It was just coming up to 5pm when I arrived at the restaurant where I hoped to get permission to camp in the local school. Unfortunately, not one but two buses had arrived and the place was thronged with people, kids and animals all wanting to eat and use the bathrooms. I bided my time. When the rush was over I was led up a hill to the school, given the use of a store room with electricity and pointed towards bathrooms on the other side of the schoolyard. Me, a stranger in a foreign land treated like this is a normal occurrence! Home had a couple of open windows, a gap in the roof but was dry and cosy.
I set about changing my clothes, hanging up my sleeping bag where a bit of a draught might dry it and set up my sleeping pad. No tent tonight.
Then it was down to the restaurant for a bit of dinner and then back up to sleep. My second night sleeping on the Trampoline!!

The road still had a fair amount of light brown mud which made me think that the landslide was very recent

To be continued.......

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 812, Friday, December 03 abandoned Police Station to Restaurant La Cabana* 29 km Total KM 14690

*For Netman

The Trampoline of Death Day Two: Magical mysterious mayhem Part Two

A rare relatively flat section. Bends were the worst for the "Magic Tape" and this should give a good idea of the road surface. This road is the only time I've missed the trailer. The ExtraWheel allows me lighter steering.

Luxuriant doesn't adequately describe the depth and quantity of roadside vegetation. The water just seemed to make it more alive

Every now and then the sun combined with the wind to lift my spirits. In no rush I'd stop just to soak it all up. Within minutes I'd be lost in the mist again

Looking back at where I'd come from. Sometimes I'd see toy trucks and cars moving along. These really were special views

Making the most of the sunshine! I was far from gloomy in the rain and the mist but a bit of sun and a patch of blue sky and my spirits soared even higher

And this is where I'm going to!

Magical!

I preferred the smaller waterfalls. They made real music. The bigger ones were violent and turbulent and clashed with my mood. How spoilt am I?^_^ Having a choice of waterfalls!

Am I the only one to get excited looking at that road?

On that road!

To be continued.......

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

*For Netman

The Trampoline of Death Day Two: Magical mysterious mayhem Part Three

Amidst all the mist, the magic, the mystery and the odd bit of mayhem there was also a lot of tough work!

Not once did I get bored or think that it was very "samey". The mist and cloud was constantly moving giving views, changing them then hiding them. I had sore jaws from grinning so much. Lord knows what the other drivers thought of me but I got lots of waves, toots and smiles of encouragement

I never got tired of seeing the road stretch off into the distance. Pure adventure!

No railing and a recent landslide. All roads should be like this!^_^

This probably looks very similar to lots of other photos. It sure didn't feel like it! This road is full of character

A whooshing waterfall

Another rail-less corner!

Toy trucks! Strangely this was the quietest road for horns that I've been on for a while. Take the toots for me out of the equation and I only heard one horn in frustration and that was during a holdup for roadworks

The road into the mystery......

The toy truck again

To be continued.......

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

*For Netman

The Trampoline of Death Day Two: Magical mysterious mayhem Part Three

Sometimes the sun tries and tries but it just can't break through

It's a narrow road! There are some passing places and drivers are patient and cooperative. On a bike, especially uphill I have to be careful to judge the distances correctly. It can be difficult to judge distance on a road that switches back so many times and that engine I hear can be ahead or behind, above or below!

Another fresh landslide

A slightly different perspective

It's really great, quite inspirational to be able to look down at where I've come from. Very motivational

A bit further along it's now clear there were two landslides

By now I was near the end and I slowed right down. I didn't want to lose a minute on the road.

There's always a tree!

The king of bikes!

The restaurant where I'd get permission to bed down in the school with a "chicken bus"* parked up outside.
Notice the tarp on top covering all kinds of things being transported while sacks of potatoes and a motorbike were strapped on the back.
I can't imagine how uncomfortable it must be to travel the Trampoline in one of these! There are a lot of Pick-Up taxis ferrying people and cargoes along the road. Crammed in the back under canvas, sitting on benches along the sides only able to see out the back it must be just as uncomfortable. And these guys drive fast!
*These are more common in the poorer areas for longer routes. On main roads and the wealthier areas there are buses like we'd see on intercity routes in Europe.

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 812, Saturday, December 04 Restaurant La Cabana to Sibundoy 21 km Total KM 14711
Min meters 2142, Max Meters 2779
Total Climb 315 Total Descent 683
Min Temp 14 Max Temp 29 Ave Temp 20

The Trampoline of Death Day Three:
I don't want it to end

You know the story..... More pics later...

Going to bed last night was interesting. I had a giant moth for company and when I say giant I mean giant! He was making such a racket I kept thinking that I had a rat for company. He seemed to spend a good amount of time on the floor flapping his wings furiously and hitting off discarded plastic and other bits and pieces. Eventually I stopped checking for rats and fell asleep.

I woke up about 6 feeling quite good until I heard the rain. A quick look outside however, showed no sign of rain - it was a río rushing down the hill I was hearing! That lifted my spirits and I set about getting packed up. I'd a couple of coffees at the restaurant before I'd set off again - up and up.
Three truck drivers having coffee too came over for a chat. They were intrigued by the bike and especially the weight. Two lifted it and used words like "respect", but one of them kept going back and lifting it like he didn't believe it.

My home last night. The local school. There were maybe five buildings spread along the road. A pretty small population

Today was the "easy" day. A climb of 250 meters and then a long descent. I wasn't sure where I was going to stop but the Trampoline would end, according to me, around the small village of San Francisco.

Easy on the Trampoline is very, very subjective! The climb had some tough gradients but a thankfully relatively smooth surface. To distract me mist and clouds toyed with the hills and mountains, enclosing or revealing as the mood struck. In no rush I was able to appreciate and enjoy.

My view loading up the bike. As mornings go this was pretty good!

I'd had no food this morning, just the coffee, thinking that I'd wait until the village to eat. The problem with that strategy is that a hefty climb can make us suddenly hungry! A couple of cereal bars did the job and I rolled upwards.

The road and the views distracted me from the climbing and I arrived at the summit in relatively good shape.
Behind me were mountains and valleys covered in dense trees, shrouded in clouds and mist but in front of me was a fertile green valley illuminated by bright sun. It really was a turning point away from the mystery and harshness of the mountains and the life of the valley below.

Having a coffee ...... And then another. Is it any wonder that I was slow to leave?

I didn't want to leave! I looked and could appreciate the sun, I looked forward to feeling it again on my skin, just not yet. I lingered. I smoked. I lingered some more. I thought about what I had achieved. And still I didn't move.

I think it was a few drops of rain that finally spurred me onto the bike and off I set downhill. The Trampoline was as good as finished.
Ha! Dumbass!^_^

Looking down the road I'd travelled up yesterday.

The surface which had been compacted mud and stone became just compacted mud. Smoother to be sure, but slippier. Sharp, steep switchbacks added to the fun. These were trickily steep and the camber difficult to negotiate. The Trampoline wasn't finished with me yet. I had great views of San Francisco and Sibundoy gleaming in the sun and they seemed closer and closer with each sweeping bend.

Same view a little later. The sky doesn't stay the same for long in these parts

Then I hit traffic!
Not roadworks as such, but dumper trucks picking up loads of the stony black soil for the road in a type of quarry beside the road. This required the road to be closed. I waited along with the line of traffic watching each truck get filled, move off and be replaced by the next in line. Eventually the oncoming traffic got the go ahead and when they had passed it was our turn. I let all the other traffic head off then followed gingerly on the chewed up surface.

Finally on the move and looking back

Sure enough around a bend I came across the trucks dumping their loads on the now rocky, stony "road" and a machine then spreading it out. I ploughed my way through this weaving around the trucks and back onto the familiar stony, rocky surface. Boneshaking it was! Brutal! And desperately slow.
All of a sudden I didn't want to linger any more! I wanted off! It was almost cruel to look at the village in the near distance and realise it was suddenly much further away!

Looking forward and a bit of blue sky. Normally a bit of blue sky can be an incentive but today? Not so much. Slowly slowly was the order of the day

I rattled and shook and bounced ever downwards and finally took a swing around a bend and onto a straight stretch. A little further ahead I could see a proper surface!! I could also see that it degenerated pretty quickly but that was just me being picky!^_^

It's really not a road for speed anyway^_^

The relief to be back on a "proper" surface was surprisingly strong. Almost emotional! And I was still descending so my speed quickly picked up. A tad disorienting.

There's an atmosphere on a road like this created by nature, weather, the solitude and the road itself. If it's possible for a road to have a soul this one does. Gun to head it's not my "favourite" road to ride a bike on but as an experience? It's way, way up there lost in the mist and cloud

The main road took me past San Francisco so I turned off to find the Plaza, a slightly dull open area but with an interesting sculpture. A couple of kids pulled over on their motorbike for a chat. Yes! Kids on a motorbike! She didn't know where Ireland was but he insisted that he knew. A pleasant encounter. I found a place for a coffee and empanada, another friendly man and decided to stay. With only one hotel around the corner I wandered over to find it full! Oh well!

A road with soul

Back on the bike and on to Sibundoy, a much bigger town. it took me a while to find the Church and Plaza, located as it was at the top of the town - top as in up high! A very interesting park filled with indigenous art. A very friendly lady in an artesenal goods/coffee shop sorted out my coffee needs. I checked out a hotel on the Plaza, a tad pricey but very good - the other hotels were all in noisy spots - so I booked a room and was home.

The Trampoline was over!

To be continued.......

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 812, Saturday, December 04 Restaurant La Cabana to Sibundoy 21 km Total KM 14711

I don't want it to end Part Two

Today was a "safer" day or maybe I was just getting used to the road^_^

A Christmas Tree out in the middle of nowhere!! I couldn't help but wonder what it must look like at night - there's even a mirror ball in there!
Based on my night in the Police Station traffic passes on the road right through the night. Now that would be an experience!

There is just so much to see, to absorb in every scene. In no rush (and with no desire to rush) I lingered long and often

With good visibility I could look back for miles

I just love riding into the clouds!

The road ahead is looking brighter

The sheer quantity and variety of plant life never stops amazing me

When part of the cliff has fallen away......

Even in such a small space such variety and such life

And there it is! The final summit! The other side looks like a different world - fertile, ordered and glazed with sunlight

To be continued.......

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

I don't want it to end Part Three

Immediately the surface changed to a compacted mudlike surface. With the sky constantly changing I had to quell an urge to hurry the hell up. In rain I'm sure it would be ugly on a bike. Even that wasn't enough to make me rush

The "other side" really was a different world. After a couple of days of dense, wild vegetation this was very, very different

Pretty steep and pretty slick but the edges could be wet and sticky. A different kind of danger

Avoid the middle, avoid the edges and listen out for any traffic. I kept thinking to myself how embarrassing it would be to fall off here!

The plains below looked so inviting and so very close but every part of me was in no rush

A totally different world. The urge to explore is strong - just not yet

Traffic jam! This signalled the end of my idyllic (if tricky) descent

The bumpy surface is back!

Oh God!!! Get me off this road!!! (Yes, I must be the most fickle of bike tourists^_^)

San Francisco in the foreground, Sibundoy in the background. With the return of the bumpy surface they are suddenly further away - as is food!!

To be continued.......

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

I don't want it to end Part Four

The official "Welcome to San Francisco" sign. Colombians have a habit of placing these miles from the actual town!

It started with a rīo and ended with one too. Just after crossing this some semblance of a normal road returned

Proper road!!! WooooHooooo!!!!

Interesting art on the edge of San Francisco

And the other wall

The church and rather dull and open plaza in San Francisco. A tiny place it had a bit of warmth and character. I could have easily enjoyed a day here

The interesting sculpture in the Plaza

A teeny tiny selection of the street art in Sibundoy

The church in Sibundoy. The end of my day's travelling and the end of the Trampoline.

I feel like I should add some kind of epilogue but I'm really not sure what to say.
I'm delighted with myself for doing it, moreso I think for having achieved a kind of dream rather than the physical act of riding the road.
There's a tremendous amount of satisfaction in that.
It was tough in places but I never felt that I was in any kind of trouble. Slow and steady and the meters add up.
Some people have done it in one day, others in two. It's not a race and I'd have been happy with taking four days.
Anyone sitting at home, comfortable and cosy may well think that putting a tent up in a wet abandoned building or sleeping on the floor of a school storage room is a bridge too far. I used to think like that. But you're at home, in comfort. On the road comfort is relative. You'd be surprised at what you'll enjoy and not just tolerate.

I've said it before and here I go again; if someone like me can do a road like this then just about anyone can do it too. Or at least do that tour that they dream about.
Tim Tower did this road on a Brompton towing a trailer - what's your excuse?

Chat? Yes Please!

Attachments

• IMG_20211204_121727.jpg
    IMG_20211204_121727.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 813, Sunday, December 05 Sibundoy to Colón 22 km Total KM 14733
Min meters 2099, Max Meters 2153
Total Climb 227 Total Descent 253
Min Temp 19 Max Temp 30 Ave Temp 23

Not feeling it.

I'm not a fan of these "indoor" rooms with no direct access to outside and a window or two into a corridor. I know a lot of hotels have windows that won't open so the indoor effect is the same but I don't sleep well in them.
I awoke groggy and slow. I'd a real urge to stay. There's a big climb down the road and I wasn't looking forward to it. The hotel though was on the pricey side and while I considered it good value for my first night after the Trampoline (hot, hot and long shower!) another night was an indulgence too far.

Leaving town. At first glance these places can look a bit rough in every sense of the world, a town like this especially so since the main road runs right through it (on two separate one way streets). There's a life to them though, a vitality that is palpable.

I did pump up my tyres before leaving and set off with heavy legs. Being a Sunday finding a coffee was surprisingly difficult but I found a friendly Mother and daughter team in a little place on the side of the road for my caffeine fix and a fried arepa which was surprisingly good.

Actually leaving town it was late, almost 10 am. Effectively I was sabotaging myself for making my target of El Encano down the road. There were two small towns along the way and unless my energy levels picked up today was going to be a short one! A gloomy, dark sky really didn't help my motivation either!

If ever there was an uninspiring scene - especially after the Trampoline!

The road was flat, or what passes for flat in this part of the world which means it was rolling steeply. Some long, straight sections were a marked contrast to the last few days and for once, uninspiring.

The Plaza at Colón. Towns and villages are well looked after for the basic facilities - a five a side/basketball court, always under cover and nearly always with seats for spectators. They are well looked after too.

I arrived quickly into the little town of Colón and pulled up opposite the church conveniently placed along the main road. The Plaza was beside me open and empty this early in the morning.

Today's río, calm and bubbling.

It was a nice place with a pleasant atmosphere even if, like myself, it was struggling to wake up and make something of the day. I decided to continue on down the road to Santiago, an even smaller place. It would save a few kms tomorrow.

Between Colón and Santiago the environment improved with sweeping bends and interesting countryside.

The road was very pleasant, curvy and hilly weaving through pleasant countryside. In absolutely no rush I pulled up sevaral times to admire the scenery or to write up my notes or flip through my photos of the Trampoline. I much prefer doing these things in the open air.

The sky didn't stop trying to intimidate me though. Like it had seemed from up high this is a fairly productive agricultural area.

I arrived into Santiago and immediately congratulated myself as I spotted a lovely looking hospedaje in fine grounds with seats that would make comfy places to relax. Unfortunately, it was a mental health hospital! Perhaps the Touring Gods are making subtle suggestions ^_^

A cheerful gateway along the road

I passed the only hotel in town and continued up the hill to the little Plaza and church. I struggled to find a coffee and was struggling to feel comfortable. There was some interesting artwork, a fantastic set of steps down to what I think is a school but there was something in the air, something intangible.

One of my many, many pauses. There was no point in pushing or rushing myself, just make the most of where I am

Since leaving the Coffee area I have been moving more and more deeply into the indigenous area of Colombia, or at least one of them. It would be a bland description to say that there have been issues with the treatment of indigenous folk, that a long Civil War didn't help and that there is a lot of work to do before different sections of society trust each other.
Perhaps best summed up in this mural, the sentiments of which are commonly expressed around here.

"There is a future if there is truth"

I toddled back to the hotel and rang the bell to no response. I rang the number on the door to no response and had a thought.
There was nothing ahead until I was well over the hill and that was not going to get done today. I could stay and hope that someone showed up for the hotel or called me back but in the meantime there was little to see and do. I could well be waiting hours. The Plaza, high on a corner was exposed and cold. Colón, just back the road had more accommodation options and a more restful Plaza. So I turned around!

The sky is still trying to intimidate me

An easy ride I arrived again and located a coffee easily. Then I found a nice, cheap room, had a cold shower and toddled out to explore. Explore is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence!^_^
These little roadside towns don't have too much to see beyond the road and maybe a street parallel on each side. Instead a lot of time was spent with my ass plonked in the Plaza watching the Sunday activities and writing up my notes.

A reasonble pizza for dinner and an early night. I needed my rest.

To be continued.....

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 813, Sunday, December 05 Sibundoy to Colón 22 km Total KM 14733
Min meters 2099, Max Meters 2153
Total Climb 227 Total Descent 253
Min Temp 19 Max Temp 30 Ave Temp 23

A school "We will create generations responsible for the environment"

The rather overdesigned church in an unnamed, tiny village outside of Sibundoy

"In homage to our looms of life"

The church in Colón. Directly opposite the Plaza.

Guess! I really liked the creativity of adding the bird

Inside the pleasantly simple church in Santiago

A wonderful set of stairs down from the height of the Plaza to what I think is a school.

So fascinating here it is again

"She is" appears to be a group advancing the place of women, Colón. There's a "She is" building in the town with interesting murals but a bugger to photograph through a gate

Colón: Even ruins can be made interesting

Chat? Yes Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom