The Big Big Trip Journal! If you want to make the man (or woman) upstairs laugh, just tell him your plans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 814 Monday, December 06 Colón to Laguna de La Cocha* 39 km Total KM 14772
Min meters 2064, Max Meters 3220
Total Climb 1364 Total Descent 660
Min Temp 15 Max Temp 30 Ave Temp 21

*For Netman:
Osmand: 1.14287° N, 77.15440° W
Google: https://maps.app.goo.gl/wgaWUd99dir7FG7z5

Day of surprises!

I awoke to the sound of rain, got up and packed and slipped outside to survey the scene. The rain had stopped but the sky was ominous. I loaded up and left acquiring an amigo in the process. The Hospedaje's dog who had gone from open hostility when I arrived to bored acceptance as I shared a bench with him using the WiFi last night now decided to travel with me! I made it to a little stall for coffee and an empanada and he was still with me. He didn't seem to have a lot of "street savvy" so knowing I'd regret it if anything happened to him I set off back to the Hospedaje having to bang on the door for a good ten minutes to give him back!

I don't normally photograph people's homes but this one caught my eye on the side of the road. With all that corrugated metal on the roof there must be some racket when it rains!

Now I set off properly. Rolling roads back to Santiago, a stop for bananas another for peanut butter - no joy so sweet arequipe instead and I set off out of town.

My nearly travelling companion...... And below ..... It was bound to happen! I'm just surprised it took this long!^_^

The climbing started here. Steeply! 1100 meters up until I hit the top. For someone who used to be so nonchalent about hills I've swung the other way now - most of the time. Not only did I know I had 1100 meters up I also knew I had a fair whack of gradients above 8% and some above 12%. Osmand breaks this data down in categories of 4% (0-4, 4-8 etc.). There is always a few 12-16% (and steeper) but over the course of the day it normally breaks down into very short sections. 1km of 12-16% looks scary but not when its 20 sections. Today the steeper gradients were longer than usual. Much longer.

I was pretty lucky in that the dark sky didn't dump on me and that I had interesting, if dark, views. It was very slow going. Very hard. Traffic, even for a workday was very, very light and not an issue at all. After Santiago it seemed even lighter.

There's always a splash of colour in the gloom. (I'm delighted this photo came out so well, do many don't. The light near the equator is pretty powerful).

Rounding a bend and seeing a shop I pulled over and asked a young girl who came out of the house next door about coffee. It's not that my bike is so noisy that she heard my arrival it was that three or four little yappers went bananas at the sight of me. My request for coffee confounded her and required a shouted conversation with Mama in the field next door and lo and behold a much appreciated coffee was brought from their kitchen. I could sit down on a little bench and try to make friends with the yappers (no joy) and conversation with my coffee saviour. She was very shy so I stopped bothering her.

The climb seemed interminable and in all honesty felt like the toughest I've done in a long time. Perhaps tiredness, perhaps a lack of proper food but definitely the steepness had an impact. I'd take a break every 100 - 150 meters gained or so.

Today's río. They're a lot calmer these days

I passed quite a few ruined houses, long deserted with entire ecosystems filling the shell. Most were scattered, lonely dwellings but twice I passed clusters of ruins alongside the road. The land that was cultivated after Santiago was wilder up here and I reckon life just got too hard.

It was passing through the second of these abandoned (or so I thought) villages that a group of about 4 or 5 yappers came for me. This has become more common recently and is annoying and frustrating more than dangerous. They're cowards, typically, and run off if I stop. But they persist with the barking. If there are other dogs in the area it sets them off too. This time was different, though. One small shaggy fecker was particularly vocal and snappy and got a bit close so I stopped. Of course he ran away. The second time ditto. The third time he launched himself at my rear pannier and I heard a strange sound. I stopped to investigate. The little fecker had bitten right through!! I was furious! If I could have caught him I'd have kicked him to Patagonia and then followed on down just to kick him again! My rear panniers are sacrosanct - 100% waterproof. Not anymore.

This is an agricultural area and seemed quite productive. As I got higher the crops became scarcer as the land became more wild

Normally a bit of anger can be used to power up a hill but not today. It was a slow, hard slog.

It was about 1pm when I arrived at the summit and faced into a long, cold, gloomy and damp descent.
Mist was in the air, rain was threatening a few drops at a time and a cold wind was blowing.
I postponed the misery by stopping at one of the two cuy restaurants at the roadside, their cuy on display on a large skewer. I opted for something simpler, just a coffee and a fried arepa. Cuy, more famous in Ecuador, is a regional dish here. Skinned and roasted on a spit it's not hard to see what it is - Guinea Pig!

(Summit photos get their own post)

Two roadside scenes. Bottom is one of many ruins along the road and visible on the hills, while top is a very bright mural. I don't know if it's a local character or perhaps a unique tribute to a victim of the road.

Setting off again I saw one of those roadsigns announcing the end of the surface and my heart sank. A bumpy, cold, wet descent lay ahead.

Except it didn't. They've obviously improved the road surface and didn't remove the sign and then I entered a part of the natural world that seems pretty unique, actually very pretty and unique. I don't know what micro climate causes it but Mother Nature put on a show!
First of all there were fields of strange, miniature, mongrel trees that seemed to sprout out of the ground and explode with a whitish crown. Thousands of them! Then the "normal" vegetation seemed to become more dense and colourful with oranges and reds and yellows livening up the various shades of greens. Photos taken in the dark gloom can't do it justice but it was a surreal, beautiful vista - and, of course, with so little traffic I had it all to myself!
Better research would have told me this was here but the surprise of it was far, far better than knowing in advance. It was a great excuse to put off the descent as I parked up several times and walked hither and tither to marvel.
Such was my elation at having completed the very tough climb and then finding this beautiful and wonderful reward at the top that I noticed I was swaggering and strutting along the road as I walked from one view to another. I mean John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever strutting!^_^
Thank the Touring Gods that there was little traffic to laugh at me!

The advantage of climbing - great views

Eventually I moved off again, the road changing to interlocking bricks, a bit rough. Relatively level still I was working enough to keep we warm when a car pulled up in front of me and two guys jumped out. One had a quiet, kind face with a gentle smile the other was all action and a bit brusque.
He was making a documentary and wanted to interview me.
If the other smiley chap had asked I'd have had no problem but with this guy I wanted more detail. Back in México the lady waiting for me at the prison had introduced herself and told me who she worked for. This guy didn't.
It was a documentary about tourists' reactions to Narina (my latest department or state) for example, what I thought of this area I was passing through.
That presented me with an out explaining my method of travel was so disorganized that this area was a wonderful surprise.
He started firing questions at me rapidly without paying a lot of attention to my answers but when he asked me about the Trampoline I paused to gather my thoughts and started to explain what a magical trip it is on the bike between the beauty of nature, the adventure of the road, the hospitality and welcome of people along the way....... When he cut me off mid answer I decided enough was enough.

The disadvantage of climbing - views lost in the mist.

Dreading the descent as I was I had another wonderful surprise. Yes, it was cold and yes it was damp and yes views were limited by low clouds and mist but the road surface was surprisingly good, the gradients were steep and the curves were pure fun! Feck photos! This one is for riding not recording!

I was reminded of the Devil's Backbone in México with tall cliffs on one side and drops on the other, of bends that I could sweep around at top speed and others that required heavy braking in advance like I was in a high speed race car. Pure joy! Pure fun! Each curve knocked a year off my age so a teenager ended up on the side of the road looking at Laguna de la Cocha, a sinister, steel grey body of water below me.
This is the second largest body of water in Colombia and quite famous containing Colombia's smallest nature reserve (an island). Unusually for me and large bodies of water it left me cold. Ahead of me lay the small town of El Encano and a place to stay.

WooHoo!!! A Time Traveling Descent!

El Encano and I didn't hit it off. Not much more than a street packed with stores and restaurants (the lake draws lots of tourists) it had a heavy Police/Military presence. (The Police here dress in Military gear so diferentiating the two is difficult.)
I located the most decrepit and rundown Plaza so far and a Church that wasn't much better. I took off up the road to the only hotel and set off about a dozen dogs of various sizes some of whom got too close. The racket was intolerable. Nobody gave a damn so neither did I. Pasto is only about 25 km away but up another big hill. No thanks. I turned around and headed for the lake. There's a little village down there that has to be better than this place.

Laguna de la Cocha. Very unusually for me the cold, grey lake didn't excite me at all.

I'm not actually sure if it's a village or just a long line of restaurants, hospedajes and a few shops (I saw no church or municipal buildings) but it's like a Colombian Venice! Built on both banks of a little river filled with local boats for fishing or tourism it was not what I was expecting! With no Plaza the only coffee I could locate was in a modern, ranch style restaurant. Overpriced and it took twenty minutes! I guess at weekends this place is packed but on a dull, Monday afternoon it was eerily quiet. I found it both charming (boats!) and a tad uncomfortable since I got a lot of stares.

I found a cheap hospedaje and checked in. "Hot water" from the shower was a scalding trickle from the electric showerhead, my room had no lock and the wall to the next room didn't run all the way to the roof which was just bare corrugated metal. Ah, it's a quiet Monday there won't be a problem. I set off to explore.

Chat? Yes Please!
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/chat-zone-for-the-big-big-trip-journal.254098

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

Day of surprises! Part Two; The Summit

There were thousands and thousands of these guys! Imagine a sunny day and bright blue sky and it must be wonderful!

A wonderful road sweeping through amazing country - not that I did much sweeping!

The colours on display were pretty dense and unique

The sheer variety of plant life was stunning

It's a jungle, Jim, just not as we know it

Just one clump of life, of colour and vitality

Mother Nature really knows her stuff!

A field of white explosions!

I spent ages walking strutting up and down. Every few yards there was a new angle, a new view, new colours

And, of course, there's always a tree! I had no idea this treat was waiting for me at the summit. The Touring Gods kept the worst of the rain off me too! For a disorganised fecker I'm pretty lucky!

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

Day of surprises! Part Three; The Towns

The "She is" building in Colón

The rather dull and uninspirational church in El Encano

One of the worst Plazas I've encountered - El Encano

Some villages have tiny churches. I like the fact that they look like "normal" churches just smaller

Street Art in El Encano

Difficult to photograph street art in El Encano

Boats!!!!!^_^

The little río leading to Laguna de la Cocha. Unfortunately I could neither walk nor bike to the shore

There were lots of these black flowers growing. I was captivated.

A lot of effort was made to make restaurants and shops attractive

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 815 Tuesday, December 07 Laguna de La Cocha to Pasto 33 km Total KM 14805
Min meters 2545, Max Meters 3262
Total Climb 571 Total Descent 831
Min Temp 9 Max Temp 24 Ave Temp 16

Upstairs Downstairs

Well, my cheapness came back to bite me in the ass in a big way last night! An extended family from grandparents to babes in mother's arms invaded the other rooms upstairs and downstairs and fairly made a racket and made using the bathroom all but impossible and pretty unpleasant when possible. Lots of noise from snoring (I'm one to talk!) to babies squalling both seeping up through the floor and over the incomplete wall next door.

Leaving the Colombian Venice. Early morning rain had stopped but it was cool and damp.

I was awake a bit later than I'd have liked but today wasn't going to be a huge day. With decent internet I'd made a reservation last night in Pasto for two nights. There's an immigration office there and I hope to extend my stay in this fabulous country

Approaching El Encano. The main road veers right after the buildings, the church and Plaza to the left. Even after my very good breakfast it didn't make much of an impression

I stopped on the edge of El Encano for a surprisingly good breakfast and set off again through the very little town. The dogs left me alone today but the town didn't do much to change my opinion.
The sky was far from cheerful but that was probably a good thing since I'd a 400 meter climb to do.

This bunch of trees gave the impression of exploding out of the ground. The things my mind will do when I'm climbing!^_^

Traffic was light and the views interesting if limited by mist starting to fall. I wrapped up for the descent but still suffered as the mist got heavier. I pulled into a little village for a coffee and empanada and a chance to lose some of the chill.

Today's río - surprisingly small but deceptive, I thought

The approach to Pasto was tricky with poor surfaces, narrow roads and lots of traffic. Once off the approach road though, things improved remarkably and getting access to the city centre was pretty dreamlike - there were even pretty decent bike paths.

A long, cold and wet descent. Yes! I whinge - a lot!^_^

The hostel was very specific that check in was only possible after 2pm and even though I was wet and cold I wandered from steeple to steeple. There's a lot of very impressive churches here. I could find no coffee vendors nor places where I'd be happy to leave the bike while I went inside so headed back towards the hostel.

There is always an interesting tree!

I got a bit of a shock at the hostel. There's 66 steps up to the door! There was no mention of that on Booking! I was pretty peed off. I parked up the bike and went up. After knocking on the door I saw even more steps on the other side! For Feck's Sake!

Interesting views though!

The bike could be accommodated at ground level in a neighbour's house but access would be limited. That wasn't working for me - there's a few things I wanted to do to the bike.

A particularly attractive church with a natural firework in front. I made four pilgrimages to this church to see inside, three times it was closed, one time there was a funeral.

I decided not to stay and explained that it was just too many steps. It's not that I'm lazy but getting everything down in possibly wet weather is going to be very tricky not to mention the risk to gear or bike downstairs while I'm lumbering up and down.
She said fine, that I could cancel. (Booking have been informed that I was a no show so I'm currently in dispute with them).

There are a lot of churches in Pasto!

Back downstairs I had another look on Booking and for a small bit more I've a hotel room. I took off through the busy, narrow and hilly streets, past more churches and found my hotel. Roccado has his own room locked downstairs and the very pleasant lady checking me in overruled a colleague to give me a bigger room!
It wasn't ready yet, but I was in no rush so left my gear and set off to visit the immigration office just down the road. At last, things were going well in Pasto!

The hostel. The bike could be parked half way down the street. I've become quite adept at reading between the lines of the descriptions on Booking but this one flummoxed me.

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 816-817 Wednesday/Thursday, December 08/09 Pasto

It's hard to paint a proper picture of Pasto. I found it contrary. It's very big, but felt small and constricted.
My arrival was frustrating; having reserved a place to stay because I didn't fancy wandering around a city to find a suitable place I didn't stay and had to start the search all over again. My hotel was very good with very friendly and helpful staff for only a smidgen more money so that worked out.
My reason for being here was frustrated as well. Pasto has an immigration office where I hoped to extend my stay. My new hotel was just down the road so while waiting for my room to be ready I popped around. Appointment only. And the next day was a holiday - December 8. Online I couldn't make an appointment for the service I needed - I had to follow the process online involving form filling and providing documents in PDF format of a very small size. Tricky!
Finally, one obvious feature of the town is the number of churches, some particularly impressive but rarely open outside of services.
It seemed to be giving with one hand and taking with another.

Christmas decorations are on full display everywhere. There's a childlike aspect to them at times, as if children have been let loose with the lights and they want as many colours as possible. But some of them, like this display, are definitely for children. I had to wait for rain to be able to take a photo without dozens if families in front of them

My full day off to explore was a holiday so museums etc. were closed. Honestly! I want to visit a few museums! I do!^_^
My second full day was full of rain.
Contrary.

I don't know if the churches are always lit up at night or if it's for Christmas.

This is indigenous territory and walking along the street looking at the street art (as opposed to the graffiti) is a bit like watching a tennis match. A ball is served on this wall and it's returned ferociously on the next. It appears that many questions remain to be answered especially in relation to the "disappeared". This is not a theme unusual in Central or South America but for some reason I am more aware of it here than previously.
It's also topical; a former FARC leader and now dissident was killed in Venezuela last week by "mercenaries" looking for a reward. Nobody would be surprised if the Colombian Government was more closely involved than mere observers (and payers of the reward).
It's hard to come clean for previous behaviour if the same behaviour is continuing.

Christmas; a wish for a better tomorrow

With time on my hands and in such a big place it highlighted my only criticism of Colombia - the food! There is a lot of frying and deep frying. No fan of veggies here but even I notice the scarcity. I'm usually pretty good at picking out places to eat but Colombia is thwarting me.
It seems to me that Colombia is a place where people eat to live. Food is functional with little or no effort to spice it up - metaphorically and literally.
Set menus are common - a bland soup filled out with potato or pasta (the texture of the pasta after hours in the soup is revolting!) followed by some kind of meat or chicken dish accompanied by rice and corn or frijoles (beans). Beef is typically tougher than shoe leather, pork, normally deepfried, has loads of fat, only the chicken is bankable. There's the annoying habit of receiving the meal immediately after the soup so one is going cold while the other is eaten - not that they're served particularly hot in the first place. It's not unusual to get chicken straight from the grill but rice that is cold.
Often the same options for dinner are served for breakfast, perhaps without the soup.
My preferred option, I'm ashamed to say, is a Chinese restaurant. Huge portions, rice, a variety of meats but very light on the vegetables.
The bakeries are losing their appeal too. The bread, while far, far superior to the US and México (and pretty much everywhere south of there) is heavy, dry and stodgy. Chicken pastries seem to be consistently the best, other pastries can be stale. Trying to find out what is in a pastry is a frustrating experience - I ask what it is and get the name. I ask what it's made with and I get the name. At best I can determine if a pastry is sweet or savoury (sweet typically outnumbering savoury 5 to 1).

Arty farty shot. The lights change colour

I did get a couple of things accomplished though!
The Trampoline was hard on the bike. I've already mentioned the loose brake bolt. I also had a loose bolt on my rear (Tubus) rack which uses tork/torx? headed bolts. More seriously, I lost a bolt on my handlebar bag, the Arkel. There are two metal "slides" bolted to the bag that slide onto the mount on the handlebar. I lost one of the bottom bolts on one of the "slides". Being an Arkel it is tougher than old boots and could probably function normally for many more miles. It uses a standard size bolt but very, very short. I had a spare bolt but far too long. Off to a hardware store.

The "infantíl" park, very compact but it has a running/walking route, an excellent AstroTurf 5 a side pitch, a basketball court (and another for kids with lower baskets!) and lots of space for families to sit and relax on grass. Other facilities were Covid closed. No vendors are allowed inside but they line up outside or stretch the rules to sell their wares through the railings. A lovely atmosphere and not a trace of vandalism anywhere.

First answer was a firm "no". For some reason, I didn't accept it and explained that it was a common size but short (or at least that's what I said in my head). He tested a couple of bolts to find the right size, seemed surprised that one fit and then, as if to make up for previous grumpiness, smiled and said he could cut it down to size. Perfect! And then no charge! I insisted and gave him enough for a couple of beers which really put a smile on his face.

A bicycle counter. The display does work (it's just a camera fault that makes it look wonky). The sticker st the bottom declares that it is placed with German cooperation.

I also readjusted the front brakes (a pre-coffee adjustment in the rain on the Trampoline is probably not the best), was ready to change the pads but there's still (surprisingly) lots of rubber left and rotated the tyres. The cassette is looking in good nick although the bike needs a good clean. All in all not a bad bit of effort.

A statue honouring a 23 year old student assasinated in 2003. (Jairo Moncayo Pascuaza)

I also picked up a tarp for the floor of my tent, 6 foot by 4 and got it fixed between the footprint and the base. Three feckin' layers!
The hotel were good enough to let me handwash my clothes (launderettes closed because of the holiday and the hotel rate would have been more expensive than my room!) and dry them with the tent on the top floor.

I'm thinking this is a school. I somehow doubt they've paid any copyright fees but it does look like a fun place.

But my best accomplishment was a new pair of trousers!
The shorts I bought in Cartagena (cheap) are failing (no surprise) and my hiking pants have a hole in the leg after my fall in San Agustín. I browsed for a pair of hiking pants with no joy. Literally beside the hotel is a shop selling Police gear and on a whim I stuck my head in to be welcomed by a charming character in the form of an old woman with a measuring tape around her neck. Old school.
She reached for a pair of pants, an olive green and I was thinking "no, no no"...... Until I felt them! They were incredibly smooth and soft, despite being stiff. They looked heavy but really weren't. And they struck me as tough - very tough. Not cheap but that's by Colombian standards.
Because of Covid I couldn't try them on but this is where it got really interesting!
If you're male, apparently, (it doesn't work so well for the ladies) take a pair of trousers fastened at the front and try to wear them as a cape with the waistband going around your neck. If the two edges get close enough almost to touch under your chin they'll fit your waist!
Alternatively, (and I believe this is for both sexes) fasten the trousers, form a fist with a hand and place elbow to fist inside the waistband. If your arm fits so will the pants!
I'm going to take a break while you go and check that ^_^

No matter where you look there are mountains looming over the town. This also shows the pretty decent cyclepaths

She was an interesting character, very pleasant and easy to talk to, eager for the sale without being pushy. I bought them and they fit perfectly. They're the most comfortable trousers I've worn in ages!
I explained about my border predicament and she suggested visting the Sanctuary of Las Lajas, somewhere I had been thinking of visiting anyway, even if it is further south and therefore the wrong way at this stage.
A lovely little old lady and I was so happy to be able to hold my own in a conversation with her.

Earthquakes have led to lots of rebuilding. Some typical buildings and a typical steep street. Note the modern high rises that are sprouting up around the town.

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 816-817 Wednesday/Thursday, December 08/09 Pasto Street Art

"Overcoming pain we build peace" (with a government logo) The ball is served

You close your eyes and forget. We close our eyes and remember" (an organisation that campaigns for the "disappeared"). And the ball is returned.

The range of art in one mural is amazing to me

Just a normal building. These murals bring wonderful colour and life

So much to absorb in just one wall!

A music shop! What else could it be?^_^

I have no idea but it is subtle and absorbing

Graffiti resists!

A medical clinic

Two different opticians

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 816-817 Wednesday/Thursday, December 08/09 Pasto Churches

I loved this one!

Finding a church open without a service going on was difficult. I won't take photos during a service. One church seemed to be conducting Confirmations. The boys were all dressed up in suits but the girls seemed to be in school uniforms.

As far as I can make out all of the churches have been rebuilt, some several times after earthquakes

There are so many different ones and only a few are not on a street making photos difficult

There are so many I had to make collages!

This is the blue and white church on the left above

They pop up everywhere!

Another Collage

I found this one to be slightly spooky

Forget fantastic designs and engineering perfection, forget fancy altars and elaborate stained glass windows.....

The Christmas Crib is what gives the place warmth and soul! They go to elaborate lengths here and I love it! It is so interesting and child friendly. A pregnant Mary, Joseph beside her and the donkey following behind. I just love all the animals! The little waterfall I feel is a local "artistic license" to make Judea seem a bit more familiar.

Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 818 Friday, December 10 Pasto to Pedregal 40 km Total KM 14845
Min meters 1799, Max Meters 3224
Total Climb 719 Total Descent 1439
Min Temp 14 Max Temp 33 Ave Temp 22

Back on the PanAmerican! But we're not in Panamá anymore.

I was slow to get up and get rolling. The mornings are fresh here and my big bed was very cosy and comfy. So much for the hardy traveller ^_^

A lot of today's views were like this - across a big road

I got loaded and rolled away. Pasto was surprisingly easy to get out of, even if traffic was on the heavy side. Before I knew it I was on the edge of town on a good main road with a pretty decent shoulder. With a 600 meter climb ahead of me I needed fuel so stopped off at a little restaurant for coffee, scrambled eggs, rice and fried banana. Breakfast is the one meal they do well in Colombia. The woman running the place had two kids, a little boy and girl who took it in turns to help between doing schoolwork at a table.

Leaving the city behind I've an excellent shoulder on a good road for the climb ahead. Quite a few cyclists too, all bar one ignoring me. I have decided that I intimidate them :laugh:

I set off again and immediately started climbing. The conditions were fine but I was finding it hard going.
I'm going south even closer to Ecuador! There's a famous church near Ipiales, the last town before the border that I want to see. When that's done I'll be turning around and heading north - on the assumption that I get my extra time that I have asked for online. It's only about 90km down the road but there's two big climbs in the way.

More mountains! But these ones are different. Barer, with many, many shades of green. If Johnny Cash ever came down here he'd be singing about 400 shades of green!

The road became even better as it morphed into a dual carriageway and unlike elsewhere in Colombia it stayed a dual carriageway.
Stopped for a breather on the side of the road I noticed ambulance after ambulance heading south. Not a good sign. Traffic seemed to be flowing ok though.

An ominous sky!

A little later the reason for the ambulances became clear. On the opposite carriageway something had gone off the road and into a ravine. A car parked up with frontal damage seemed to suggest it had hit someone from behind and the front car went over the side.
Lots of cars pulled in on both sides so people could look but I declined. There were no ambulances on the scene and since I hadn't noticed any coming against me they either went to Ipiales or returned to Pasto with no need for lights and sirens.
I couldn't help but wonder at the irony of the situation - one of the best roads I've been on in weeks and such a terrifying accident.

The weather here can be pretty intense and the sky is never, ever dull!

I continued on not enjoying the climbing. A couple of days off and I seem to lose my climbing legs. With relief I reached the summit and chose one of two restaurants to rest and take shelter from the rain that strated to fall. Of three dogs outside two were barking ferociously while one wanted to be friends. Once the bike was parked up and my intention of getting something to eat became clear all three wanted to be friends!

That's not looking so good!

A long descent and then an even longer ascent. My plan is to go for as long as I can and then find a place to stay. While sitting in the restaurant I realised that it's Friday and not Saturday as I thought!

Sometimes only a roadshot will do!

I've noticed more people walking along the roads again. Venezuelans headed for the border that's supposed to reopen December 15 (previously December 1). Its amazing to see what has happened to one of South America's more prosperous countries. I am literally witnessing a trail of refugees walking along the roads.

Rain! The full view ran from the rain that you can see, to no rain but cloud to patches of blue breaking through the clouds. A phenomenal view of weather in action

In México yesterday an articulated truck rolled over killing 53 migrants in the back. Mainly Central Americans desperate to get to the U.S. What's shocking to me is that survivors, many injured and in shock, fled the scene afraid of being picked up by the Police and deported.
Imagine being in a dark trailer with who knows how many other people, feeling it tip over while moving, hearing if not seeing your travelling companions die and then thinking that the best thing is to run and hide.
I can have some sympathy with the idea that some of these may be criminals - later to cross the border they'll need to make deals with Cartels to pass through "their" areas. I can also understand to an extent that people working and living in the black economy do not contribute to society in the same way as "legals" but:
There's a demand side to the drugs market that is out of control and ignored;
Lots of legitimate businesses depend on these immigrants for labour.
Then there's the huge elephant in the room that is the historical intervention in Central American politics. Like a lot of the immigrants queueing up at Europe's borders these are chickens coming home to roost after years and decades of interference.
Travelling through these countries it's very easy to see why people will take such risks for a better life. While "the news" is full of criminal horror stories I've been in the Latin world two years now and had one bad experience, an experience that could have happened in any capital city in Europe. I can't help but think that there are a lot of societies that could do with an infusion of the basic humanity I've witnessed and experienced again and again.
Dying in a dark trailer after tipping over on a road is a risk that many will still take.

There's always a tree that catches my eye

Way off in the distance things are looking a lot better!

To be continued.......
Chat? Yes Please!

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

Back on the PanAmerican! But we're not in Panamá anymore. Part Two.

I wrapped up in my full raingear for the descent despite a bit of sunshine. It was a worthwhile effort as the rain started and kept me company for a while before meandering off and then returning.

Sometimes the landscape was so big, so dominant, so grand that it didn't matter that there were four lanes of road between me and it.

Starting at 3200 meters it can be pretty cold! The road was great encouraging me to go faster and cool down even more.
While the road was certainly fun the star of the descent was the landscape.
Since I left the desert of Tatacoa I've been telling people just how amazingly diverse Colombia is - and so quickly! It really struck me the stage from the Coffee area, then down past Ibagué and into the desert only to ride once more into mountains.
Well, today I'm in mountains again but these are totally different! Majestic was the word that kept floating in front of me as I took yet another turn. Huge. Immense. Refined. The royalty of mountains. Majestic.
The photos won't serve any justice at all, taken in the rain and mist but it was glorious. Unfortunately, they were pretty much all on the wrong side of a big, wide road so you'll have to take my word for it.

That's my road over there!

As is the way here, the weather played no small part in adding to the variety, as mist and cloud and rain distorted or removed the view only to change again. On a trustworthy surface I could enjoy swiveling my head to see as much as I could.

Majestic?

I've no recollection of this stretch featuring prominently in any accounts I've read and perhaps it's due to what I'm thinking is a new road but it really was a fantastic descent, cold, wet and all. There were echoes of Irish hillsides, just on an epic scale!

It seems like the clouds are crashing over them like waves on rocks on a stormy coastline

Approaching the town of Pedregal I crossed a bridge with stunning views on both sides. What I took to be a road to the town to the right was actually the old road and a dead end but I could see it offered an interesting view of a valley, or more appropriately a gully through the mountains. I doubled back and enjoyed a little time enhanced by the light traffic on the main road speeding by, rushing past this little bit of beauty that I had all to myself. Bike touring makes me selfish, it appears!

There's always a tree!

Looking at iOverlander someone reccommended a visit for the murals in the town. Since Dumbass forgot to hit the bank machine before leaving Pasto a bank wouldn't go amiss either. I continued on and took the turn up the steep hill to the town. Scanning for a bank I was accosted by a small group of young soldiers, one in particular very friendly and "lost" about half an hour in a very pleasant chat. The quietest chap with a machine gun loosely across his chest made me a tad nervous as the barrel seemed to be seeking me out. They confirmed that there was no ATMs in town.

Majestic?

By now it was lateish afternoon and the sky was turning dark again. I could see three or four hotels from where I stood. iOverlander again highlighted one as ground floor access with secure bike storage. I toddled in and took a decent room at a decent price.

Whatever about the horizon there was lots on my side of the road to keep me amused too.

Majestic?

A freezing cold mountain water shower and I set out to explore. A tiny, simple church, no Plaza and not much more than a main street it's surprisingly busy and lively.

The old road from the new road. I just had to explore

I stick out like the proverbial sore thumb in these towns but rarely feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. I rarely feel wary wandering down little sidestreets once I've seen something of interest. With no Plaza there's no "central" place for me to get a feel for the place or to sit down and watch so a coffee and the local snack of fried maize (a bit like popcorn) mixed with fried pork fat serves a similar purpose.

I think it was worth the effort! Majestic? Hell yeah!

To be continued..,...

Chat? Yes Please!
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/chat-zone-for-the-big-big-trip

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

Back on the PanAmerican! But we're not in Panamá anymore. Pedregal.

The "minature" church. To the left are taps with potable water

This one I really liked

The person who added the town to iOverlander was obviously a newbie.....or blind! Street art is very common in these parts and Pedregal isn't exceptional in this regard.

(Off topic but someone recently posted on a Mexican Travel Facebook page about how oncoming trucks would overtake each other and they'd have to pull in on the shoulder. Another newbie!:laugh:)

Painting on that slope cannot be easy!

Another one that I really liked. Women are common subjects

I was really impressed with how they used the design of the wall

Just a normal house

I loved how the whole house was the canvas. Relatively simple but very effective

The animal kingdom is also a popular theme. Mountains are the backdrop to the town in every direction

Every bit of space is utilised!

Chat? Yes Please!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 819 Saturday, December 11 Pedregal to San Juan 28 km Total KM 14873
Min meters 1793, Max Meters 2460
Total Climb 855 Total Descent 220
Min Temp 17 Max Temp 36 Ave Temp 23

Is it a canyon? Is it a gorge? Is it a valley? Who cares!!! It's feckin' awesome!

I took a wander around the little village and joined a queue for a BanColombia counter but without an ATM they couldn't give me any cash. I decided on a simple dinner in my room and bought some tuna to mix in with pasta. Unfortunately, back in my room the only socket was behind the tv (fixed to the wall) and unusable!:laugh: Cold tuna wraps instead! No Trangia in a confined space.
The WiFi was intermittent at best but it delivered good news in two stages.....
The first is that my visitor permit to Colombia has been extended to March. From reading online I was lead to believe that it was a formality but a big relief none the less.
It had been a stressful process with a website that didn't seem to work properly outside of office hours and an insistence on accompanying documents (passport, entry stamp for Colombia and any other relevant paperwork - in my case the story of my bike trip) to be in PDF format and limited in size. Proof of onward travel was also required, something I don't have. (I was prepared to buy a ticket to Spain but with all the recent changing Covid rules was reluctant).
Once again, outside of some minor and bureaucratic stresses I am the beneficiary of another country's immigration system. I really hope that Europe is as good to foreigners.

Rejoining the highway. I'm really enjoyinv these cultivated mountains. Not so much the weather.

The second bit of good news popped up later. I'd applied through the Irish Government website for my U.S. Covid vaccine to be recognised by the EU. Given that all I had was a handwriten card with my name, date of birth and the vaccine type I wasn't hopeful but last night it arrived! I have no doubt that things will change but at least now I'm in the system.

Do I whinge about the weather ruining my view or do I marvel at what I can see?

Interestingly, since November 15 I am supposed to show the Colombian equivalent to gain access to public spaces such as restaurants. I haven't seen anyone asked for it and certainly not me.

At least the weather didn't affect my roadside views with lots of cliffs with various decorations. Yes, I decided that someone had decorated the cliffs for me^_^

A large covered courtyard in the hotel was reverbrating with rain at 5:30 and again at 6. I got up and wandered out. The reality wasn't quite as bad as the sound but still wet.

This is the kind of photo that is so, so disappointing. You're seeing epic dullness...... I wasn't!

Two largish groups of Venezuelans were huddled in different places under cover along the street. Chatting to one of them they're heading for Argentina - on foot.
His dream is to go to New York but that's not possible.

At one of the little villages off the motorway this simple, bright wall caught my eye

I grabbed a coffee and fried arepa for some fuel. I start off with a long climb.
My Dumbassness yesterday has thrown up two issues. Firstly, I'm low on cash necessitating a trip into Ipiales, something I was hoping to avoid and my thinking that it was Saturday (not Friday) means that the church I want to visit will be very busy and accommodation scarce or pricey.
In any case a 1200 meter climb is first on my to-do list!.

Everything got a whole lot more interesting when we lost three lanes and two shoulders!

I must go back and read the blogs in detail but I don't recall any great fuss being made of this road. Perhaps it's because Ecuador is just down the road and a bike tourist's mind will naturally start to turn towards the practicalities of that. To my way of thinking this is an epic road weaving through mountains that offer up a completely different set of views.

I'm sure to you that this looks dull, grey and boring. Trust me - there was nothing dull and boring about it and the grey sometimes sparkled with the sun bursting through

I set off in full rain gear and that was no harm. Rain was present for most of the day, often light, at times heavy and only sometimes absent.

What were grey and vague down the road slowly became green and detailed

Since this seems to be a new road it bypasses a couple of small villages after Pedregal but I turned off each time to have a look. Not much to see but a few curious but friendly looks.

Tulcán is in Ecuador! That's how close I am!

The disadvantage of the lovely cliffs was rockfalls and plenty of them. México had signs asking people to remove fallen rocks - a good habit I have acquired if a little dangerous

To be continued.......

Chat? Yes Please!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

Is it a canyon? Is it a gorge? Is it a valley? Who cares!!! It's feckin' awesome! Part Two

I think there was about 6kms on the clock when I came to a diversion away from a fine looking new bridge. I dithered whether to follow the signs - I'm on a bike I can go anywhere^_^ - but followed the signs thinking it was a diversion through a village then back on the main road.

Wet, gloomy, dark...... And uphill! Yet I was enjoying (nearly) every single moment.....

Wrong!
The diversion sign is to stop people taking the bridge, the "proper" road is the one I was on. Back to a two laner with no shoulder.
Colombia is really unique in this - from two lanes (in each direction) with a generous shoulder to two lanes and no shoulder.

This photo is so disappointing. With the moss hanging from the trees it was a real section of mood and atmosphere.

Immediately the mood changed. To my right was a gulley for water that was either pretty steep or because of new layers of road surface a significant drop below my level. To add to the fun the gulley was lethally slippy and rocks, gravel and mud were plentiful along the road and sometimes in the road.

From my side you don't get to see the drop or the full scale of the mountains...... I did!😊

It became my method to stop when traffic was passing. So long as I didn't put my foot in the gulley I was ok. It took two scares to learn that! It's strange, but I found myself feeling more in danger on this road than I did on the Trampoline.

Just one of many, many waterfalls

That's the road and it's entirely possible that I'm just out of practice on a busyish two laner. But what about the ride?
I don't know if I was passing through a valley, a gorge or a canyon but I was passing through some epic scenery. I'm having problems processing the sheer variety of what I'm seeing. It's like Colombia says "Think you've seen it all? Ha! Dumbass!"

I'm really starting to like the "angular" character of these mountains.

My photos, I'm sure are a disappointment. Mist and rain really messes with the lighting. I tend not to take many photos in the wet, making exceptions for "special" scenes. I took almost 300 photos today! That's how many "special" scenes there were!

A two tier waterfall!

At one stage my sensible head chastised me for "wasting time". My feckless head told it to feck right off! I'm in southern Colombia, within spitting distance of Ecuador, I am in no rush.

Roadside decoration. Or dressing.

It wasn't just the mountains that I was slowly weaving through, with their multiple colours and a painter's pallete of shades off green, their areas cleared for cultivation standing out, or the gentle slopes running to hard angles where Mother Nature hasn't been able to wear the mountain to her will.

Beautiful, bright, vivid colour in the gloom

There were amazing waterfalls falling in stages or merging as they powered down, one fantastic río and to my right I had dense vegetation, often motivationally colourful in the gloom or cliffs of greyish, brownish rock, often with mosses hanging down. Dressed cliffs! I even had waterfalls throwing out a fine brown mist all over me as I rode past - that's how close they were - and how muddy the water is!

Moss hanging over the road. I ❤ that stuff!

Epic is the word that comes to mind.
A few times I had no place to safely stop for photos but one scene drew me back almost one km on foot. The photograph? It's crap!

Everything seemed to be on the other side of the road.....

To be continued....

Chat? Yes Please!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

Is it a canyon? Is it a gorge? Is it a valley? Who cares!!! It's feckin' awesome! Part Three

At one stage, stopped and looking back at where I'd come from with a decent view along a river valley I caught a herbal scent wafting upwards on the warm, moist air. Talk about an immersive experience! I was seeing this epic country, feeling it in my legs and the rain on my face and now I was smelling it too. That's why bike travel is so damn good!

The mist dulls so much of the detail in these photos

By any cycling measure I was making terrible progress but that wasn't bothering me one little bit.

Not only could I see this scene clearer...... I could smell it too!

A few ignorant drivers gave me minimal space but the majority were far more generous with lots of waves and toots of encouragement. The grades were kinder than yesterday too so that helped.

Cliff to my right, río down there on my left and misty mountains all around.....

I was getting hungry though. I didn't fancy eating my food at the side of the road so kept an eye out for a place. A few shops showed up alright but nowhere to eat. I hit roadworks and took the downtime to snack on a cereal bar. A short, sweeping, immensely fun descent distracted me for a while but I was feeling decidedly weak as I started climbing again. I focused on the village of San Juan up the road.

Nipping across the road for a photo

It's another roadside town, small and straggly with a rundown church. A tourist information board talks of the town being famous for its food. I saw nothing to suggest a gastronomic centre and it's famous now for having the first restaurant I've walked out of for being too dirty!

My side of the road was epic in its own way

I'm in a different part of the world and standards are different, I get that. Often it's the location (side of the road) or the equipment (old, wood or charcoal for fuel) and that's fine because things are clean. A dog or two might be wandering around - that's fine too. Hell, they're probably cleaner than me most of the time!
But I stepped into a little four table place and tried to pick a table. Each one had the residue of previous diners - glasses, plates, spillages. Just no. (It's quite common here that places are "dirty" in this way. I don't recall seeing such scenes in México).

Today's río..........

I found another restaurant on the main street/road with outside seats (my preference) and settled in. A bland soup was follwed with fried chicken, rice and veggies! Carrots! There was a fine looking Shepherd looking for food, healthy, if a little skinny, with a wonderful personality. A stray, as it turned out, left behind by some of the many, many Venezuelans passing by. A little heartbreaking.

Looking back.... The río and the road

As I ate I started to think. About another 15km to Ipiales, another 550 meters of climbing, steeper than before. With my current rate of progress that could be three hours. It would be getting dark in Ipiales by the time I'd hit a bank machine and find a hotel.

Waterfall!

Using the restaurant wifi I could see a hotel here in San Juan for 25k, about half of what I'd pay in Ipiales. I could stay here tonight, hit Ipiales in the morning for cash then pop down to Las Lajas. There's a reasonable hotel there so I can have a good chunk of the day there. I've enough cash to get me a room here tonight. Sold!

Yes, the wind and the rain was a PITA for the photograph taking bike wanderer but every now and then a scene suggested just how tough life must be in this place. Especially long, long ago.

It's a modern room with a warm shower - better than ice cold mountain water - the wifi is iffy but there's ample space outside to cook.
I showered and set off on a mission to get some sandpaper. Another thing that got done assways in Cartagena is that the rubber frame protectors that should wrap my cables on the crossbar got "lost" (in fairness I did it once myself) and there's an uncomfortable amount of rust starting to appear on my frame.
Normally hardware stores are everywhere but I couldn't find one. Stepping into one store to buy ciggies I spotted hardware supplies. Sandpaper? Of course! Not surprisingly this lead to a long and lively conversation about just why I needed to buy a sheet of sandpaper! A couple, they were both quite animated with lots of questions and sure, give me an audience and I'll prattle with the best of them! It was all going well until the lady asked me what I thought of Colombian food. Oh dear! I gathered my thoughts and honestly explianed that México had spoiled me for food. They accepted that but he triumphantly declared that Mexican food must be very expensive. He was getting close to upset when I assured him that it was cheap too.
No harm done they wished me a safe and enjoyable journey.

To be continued.......

Chat? Yes Please!

Attachments

• IMG_20211211_110054.jpg
    IMG_20211211_110054.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour

Is it a canyon? Is it a gorge? Is it a valley? Who cares!!! It's feckin' awesome! Part Four: The last of the photos

So much greyness.......

There can be so much depth to these mountains. I could have stayed gazing for ages but once stopped I'd start cooling down....

An arty farty shot! I'll admit to some pride in this one

Trying to capture the depth and angles can be frustrating

Trust me! It's better in real life!

I do like this one!

The río from up high

San Juan

Chat? Yes Please!

Attachments

• IMG_20211211_113343.jpg
    IMG_20211211_113343.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Day 820 Sunday, December 12 San Juan to Las Lajas 24 km Total KM 14897
Min meters 2448, Max Meters 2927
Total Climb 627 Total Descent 391
Min Temp 12 Max Temp 22 Ave Temp 16

I'm a pilgrim again!

There was no problem with sockets in my room last night so I dined on noodles and tortillas with arequipe for dessert. With a weak wifi signal inside the room and rain outside I laid down on my bed and dived into the Kindle. It's been a while. William Trevor is good for the soul.

I brewed up coffee in the morning and had more tortillas with arequipe. No running water limited my other options. Choosing between coffee and oatmeal is a no brainer in my world!

A mucky, bumpy uphill start to the day

I was in no rush to set off and gave the chain a clean and lube. All this rain is making the chain squeak. When I did set off it was into roadworks and a steep incline.

Gloomy and wet but still interesting

I'm not a fan of being on the road on a Sunday in Colombia. The proportion of jackasses on the road is higher. After about 2km the surface came back but the price to be paid was rain. Alternating between light and very light it still made me wet. It also took away whatever potential views there were.

The main Plaza in Ipiales, disappointingly bare and lifeless

It was after about 8km and 500 meters of climbing that things turned positive. This was the summit, all pretty much "level" from here on so I pulled in for some breakfast.
This was a "proper" restaurant - in a building! As I parked up Roccado a full pig that had been roasted whole was being pulled apart on the opposite side of the window.

A different Plaza in Ipiales. Less bare, a bit more activity but wet!

I got a table and a young chap, very smartly dressed was prodded to approach me. Clearly new in the job he was nervous and unsure of himself. He ran through the breakfast options (menus tend to be verbal here) and I ordered "huevos rancheros" - scrambled eggs with sausage. On hearing they were served with rice and potatoes, tomato and banana I asked for extra banana and less tomato.
When it arrived there wasn't a trace of tomato and loads of fried banana! It was delicious, seasoned rice with some kind of veg mixed through, delicious slices of potato fried in their skins and crispy sausage in the egg. Great fuel!
While eating an older lady approached me as she left asking about my journey. We had a pleasant chat and pointing to my red nose she warned me of the dangers of too much sun. My nose "*has* been sensitive of late and has been getting too much sun. Despite the cloud and mist the sun is very powerful in these parts.

Suburban Ipiales

Strangely, I'd had to pay in advance for my food. When I was leaving there was no sign of my nervous waiter so I donned my raingear and watched a car and truck nearly collide. When I spotted him I dropped back in to give him a tip and tell him that he did a good job. Unfortunately, all four girls working in the open plan kitchen thought this was very funny and I only succeeded in embarassing the poor chap. Four women in charge, himself and another guy working the floor - he's got his work cut out for him!^_^

Minimalist art in El Charco.

I set off again into the wind and rain enjoying the fact that I was making steady progress rather than labouring uphill. On the outskirts of Ipiales before I knew it I let Gizmo guide me in ....... And up! Ipiales is a hilly town! And because it's quite big the streets are long. I headed for the Plaza and was immediately disappointed.

The art is so minimal, so underwhelming that I was aware of "something" without actually recognising it. It was only when I stopped and looked around that I noticed it

No town looks good in the rain but for Ipiales this is doubly so. In no mood to mess around I used Google to locate an ATM. It spat my card back out! On to another. Thankfully this one gave me some money. Now I wanted a coffee and damned if I could find one. Another plaza offered nothing so I set off out of town back the way I had entered.
This is an important function of a gps unit to be able to deal with a confusing route like this. A previous Garmin would freak out and crash if my route crossed itself, never mind doubled back on itself.
On the outskirts of Ipiales is the interesting barrio of El Charco with eye-catching, minimalist street art and lots of cuy restaurants - lots with cute, cuddly guinea pigs as mascots. A difficult circle to square for me!

The street art in Ipiales is a lot less subtle!

Here we have some cute and friendly cuy..... Come on in and eat one!

As a non artistic person even I can identify a style

To be continued.......

Chat? Yes Please!

Attachments

• IMG_20211215_123655.jpg
    IMG_20211215_123655.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom