The Birds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Magpies have spent the last week building a nest high up in a tree in my garden. I am now trying to rustle up the courage to destroy it.
Am I being a complete bastard ? Will I be pecked to death ? What do the team think ?

Keith Oates

Janner
Let them be, they will not harm you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Leave 'em alone, they have enough to deal with as it is. Consider yourself honoured that they've chosen your garden to continue the species ;)

If you really have to do it though do it now before they lay eggs.

sheddy said:
Magpies have spent the last week building a nest high up in a tree in my garden. I am now trying to rustle up the courage to destroy it.
Am I being a complete bastard ? Will I be pecked to death ? What do the team think ?

it is illegal to destroy a wild bird nest.

magpies are ok. centuries of superstition have left a bad mark. they're very clever bird (as are most of the crow family). they are no more killers than other birds - i've seen ducks trying to kill other ducklings, herons kill loads of chicks, coots will kill moorhens and little grebe chicks.

leave it. they are doing you no harm. they probably don't like you as a neighbour, but they're getting on with things. beside... you can have a good view of the babes.

L

gbb

Legendary Member
I have mixed feelings on this one.
I wouldnt normally harm any living creature..be it an ant or a rat...anything.

BUT..magpies are prolific takers of chicks from songbird nests. Some sources believe they have a bad impact on songbird populations.

15 years ago, i'd NEVER seen a magpie, now they are so abundant, i'm not surprised they are regarded as vermin by some.

They are known to monitor nests in the vicinity, then go back when the chicks are vulnerable.

humans have had a worse impact on songbirds... modern homes have nowhere for nests and older ones are being tarted up and nooks blocked... plus people don't like the noise of birds close by and deliberately stop nests.

a few years ago i rarely saw a woodpigeon, now they are everywhere, it doesn't mean they are destroying songbirds, it's just they are adapting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7316384.stm

some nice info on magpies there.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hmmmm. Next thing they'll be setting up a Parliament outside your window, driving you mad with that cackling, then even claiming all kinds of expenses for housing.

However having listened to a R4 programme about Magpies I do agree that they are a much-maligned bird, worth observing for their intelligence and strong territorial instincts.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Magpie... Susan Stranks... dribble dribble

susan.jpg

Top Bottom