The Birds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
OT slightly...well, more than slightly :biggrin:
Went to Northampton yesterday, and saw four Red Kite, REAL close up. The cream / white head on one stuck out like a beacon, must have only been 30 feet above me.
So nice, one sighting consisted of a pair, whirling around close to each other, close to some woodland. Very very nice. Wished i'd had the camera with me.

Some animals kill other animals to live. All wild animals vie with each other to take the available food. Leave them alone to get on with it I say!

or shall we kill all the Lions because they eat nice Zebras?

gbb said:
Perhaps i'm not putting over my thoughts clearly.

Magpies, like any other creature, have their place on this earth. Many many creatures survive at the expense of others. I dont have a problem with that...like it would make any difference if i did :blush:

The problem is when the population increases out of proportion with its food source..and then has a negative impact on it.

Sparrowhaws for instance could decimate the local songbird population. But once its done that, it will itself starve and the population of Sparrowhawks will subsequently fall. Thats a natural process.

With magpies, its different. They have adapted and flourished and multiplied..perhaps ( only perhaps ) because of the abundance of carrion WE have inadvertently given it...and now thier population is out of proportion with its natural foodsources. Even if it ate all the songbird population..it wouldnt suffer the same way as the Sparrowhawk, because its not dependent on the very birds they are apparenty decimating.

This is the crux of it - magpies are not species specific in their prey seeking. Basically, they are pretty omnivourous and will cheerfully scoff anything that is available. This enables them to hold a high population level and exercise disproportionate predation on songbird nests by opportunistic feeding at times of glut.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Patrick Stevens said:
Basically, they are pretty omnivourous and will cheerfully scoff anything that is available. ... opportunistic feeding at times of glut.
That describes me pretty well too! Gaaark! Gaaaark! :blush:

What about squirrels?

The rat catcher visited my parents' house last week, as rats had eaten their way into their dustbin. My dad told the bloke that they have a bigger problem with squirrels. His response was that he should get an air rifle and shoot them.

Also omnivorous and inveterate nest robbers.

domtyler

Über Member
I can't say that I have noticed a great increase in Magpie numbers, there were certainly plenty around when I was being brought up in rural Somerset thirty years ago. My dad always used to do the requisite "Good morning Mr. Magpie, give my regards to your wife and family" routine whenever we say one. I still can't help but subconsciously do it myself to this day! :biggrin:

Gary Askwith said:
While we are on about shooting people can we shoot this island full of ignorant barbaric fuckwit-'hunters' while we have the guns cocked?:rolleyes::angry:

PLEASE :biggrin:

I totally agree. They are completely barbaric in in their obsession with killing rare migrant birds in the belief that it enhances their virility.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Patrick Stevens said:
I totally agree. They are completely barbaric in in their obsession with killing rare migrant birds in the belief that it enhances their virility.

I mean what kind of 10th rate morons believe that?:rolleyes::angry:xx(:biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
Patrick Stevens said:

Cant speak for Malta, but ive spent time with a Cypriot family who shoot and eat 'small birds'...ive no idea what species. I did try to find out, but it got lost in the translation.
Without defending them, they are specific about the species they shoot...well this particular family were.
I dont see the attraction myself...too small, not enough meat and a little coarse in taste.

Its tradition out there....shooting is a big thing. i had no idea till i saw it for myself. Same in Spain for wild boar hunting.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Patrick Stevens said:

Is that anything do to with the maltese falcon?
On the plus side, that's where Caroline came from (:smile:) and she was rather lovely!
And they invented Maltesers.

and the island was given a medal.

should have let the germans bomb them some more.

maybe they're just following the example of our lovely head of state. roast Harrier anyone?

did anyone see the programme about the wolves last night? very good, it showed how ignorance can lead to the persecution of animals and how, once more is known, it can lead to better treatment. alas, it also showed that centuries of prejudice are hard to overturn, even with facts.

Top Bottom