The 'Bonk'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I did a 75mile morning session today (avg speed of 19mph) and completely bonked with about 7miles to go. I've never been in so much pain before and so tired. I literally ground to a halt and just managed to keep the speed in doubled figures as I limped home. I've only bonked once before but never this bad. Writing this now, 6hrs later, my legs are still FUBAR'ed and feel like rubber bands.

What's your worst 'bonk' story?

gbb

Legendary Member
Only bonked a couple of times, once i was circa 5 to 10 miles from home...the longest, slowest, most dreadful miles ive ever done at probably 5mph. I could have just laid down in the grass at the side of the road, i was so so cream crackered.
Not nice, not nice at all.

MrB1obby

The first time I tried to do a 51 mile ride from derby to home...with no training whatsoever and the biggest mileage completed up to then was about 8 miles in total. Needless to say I bonked at about 15-20 miles, and then crawled home in 2nd and 3rd gear with refusal of pickup after being offered at about 25 miles :gun: I won't tell you the time, but I did have a 20kg hiking bag on aswell.
Oh the joy of getting home!

HovR

Über Member
The first time I tried to do a 51 mile ride from derby to home...with no training whatsoever and the biggest mileage completed up to then was about 8 miles in total. Needless to say I bonked at about 15-20 miles, and then crawled home in 2nd and 3rd gear with refusal of pickup after being offered at about 25 miles :gun: I won't tell you the time, but I did have a 20kg hiking bag on aswell.
Oh the joy of getting home!

:eek: And I thought me going from 27 to 55 miles was a big jump!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Last time I bonked was 1991. Cycled from Sheffield to Wilmslow with a 70lb burgen. Three miles from home found myself unable to turn the cranks. Staggered the rest of the way absolutely nothing left in the tank.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i tried to explain this term to my daughter last year when she was 10 , i was getting through to her , then my father who is in his 80's told her how when he raced bikes they use to eat rice pudding whilst riding to stop the bonk from happening .

when we got home after this discussion she annouced to the other half how we had talked about bonking ....... you can imagine the look and the conversation we had later

broomwagon

Started to feel a bonk coming on today with about ten miles to go. We'd had a run out to Leek, 86 miles in total....I stuffed two power bars down my neck and had a good drink. That got me back safely.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

potsy

Rambler
On a 115 mile forum ride in 2010, for some reason I thought I'd be OK despite only having ridden 65 miles in a day before :ohmy:
Around the 90 mile mark, up in the hills I seriously had doubts about making it :surrender:

Thankfully the brompton fat boy was very encouraging/helpful/patient and got me to the finish via a MaccyD's and even provided a much needed brew at the end :cuppa:

the snail

Guru
I bonked on a 200k audax last year. I didn't have any breakfast, and just a nibble at the first control. Got about 90-100 miles, then bonked. I felt sick, dizzy confused, truly awful. I limped on to the next town, had 2 jumbo mars bars which got me into town, then pie and chips. The surprising thing was how much better I felt with some food on board - I went pretty well after that. It took me 16 hours to get round, and then I'd missed my train, so that meant another 75km ride home. I got back at 6am, then slept for 24hrs.

Dewi

Veteran
I don't know if it was a bonk or the wall hitting me yesterday. I stopped at the top of a 750ft climb to have a few fig rolls before the next 500ft climb (the top of the Crimea Pass). Within seconds I went from feeling a little strange standing up to having to sit down on the pavement otherwise I would have fallen over! Even sitting down I had to lie back against the wall for support, I did wonder about phoning for help whilst I still could but after taking on board water I was able to reach up and get the 'emergency' Kendal Mint from my saddle bag. I've had it in there for a few years thinking it might come in handy, it said best before July 2011 but it worked wonders and within 5 minutes I was back on the bike. I finished the mint cake off at the top of the Pass then stopped for food in the next village before taking it steady for the last 25 miles home.

Looking back I was surpised how quick it had come on, I'd been out for over 5 hours and done 60 very hilly miles through Snowdonia but until the bonk was feeling great. I'd done 60 miles, my longest ride so far, last Saturday and had planned to do the same sort of distance again but after a good couple of hours I decided to go a little further, turned out to be 85 miles with 7,000ft of climbing by the end of the day :smile: I'd had porridge before I left home then a banana and fig rolls on route but with hindsight I'd gone too long without topping up on either food or drink, I'd been enjoying the new sights and focusing on the climbs so forgot!

My saddle bag is now re-stocked with mint cake, dextro tabs and protein bars for the next long ride which will also include an energy drink in one of my water bottles. I'll also be stopping for a meal mid day so hopefully it won't happen again.

toroddf

Up in Northern Norway back in 1989, I was so tired half way through the ride I hardly knew where I was. Somehow, I managed to stay on the road and "woke up"/woke up just before the descent down from a mountain, 30 miles further up the road from where I had shut down. I could not and I still cannot remember a thing from going up the mountain. When I "woke up"/woke up, I felt a lot better. The whole episode scared the wits out of me for many years afterwards. I have spoken to a doctor about it and she explained it with the brain producing tranqualisers and giving me a high. Which is exactly what I was, on a high. No pains, just following that white stripe up the mountain.
It has not happened later, although I have got a lot painkilling high on my long bikerides.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Funny thing is, today despite my leg muscles feeling a bit sore/tight I feel FULL of energy. After a bit of research, some people actually RECOMMEND bonking to increase your endurance. Seems an awful punishment to me.:thumbsdown:

cerenko

Went out on wednesday and bonked at 70 mile, felt like i was riding with 2
buckled wheels all of a sudden, felt sick and just wanted to sit down, at this point I was only 5 from home so managed to free wheel or ride steady, got home and had big bowl of pasta , energy drink and 2 bananas, 2 hours later felt fine and decided to wash the car, fully recovered. Looking back I had been riding on hilly course at 18 mph avg and had only drank one bottle of water and a banana.
Did the same course yesterday but made it just short of 90, 2 bottles of energy drink, 6 gels, 4 energy bars and 2 slices of malt loaf and felt as strong at the end as in the beginning :smile:

Top Bottom