The booze-quittin' buddy thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
As I bimble around the forum I note that there are several of us quitting the demon drink in the new year. So I thought it might be productive and encouraging for us to share experiences.

I'm quittin' because I've had a series of rotten colds since September that have really put a dent in my fitness, and therefore in the new year I want to get back to my ideal weight and fitness, and beer, wine and spirits will not help me achieve this.

Also the wine I like to drink is probably slightly beyond my means, so my pocket will also benefit from not buying booze.

What's your motivation?

UPDATE

The following list of folk are going sober! At least for January anyway...

@SimonJKH
@bromptonfb
@ColinJ
@BigonaBianchi
@Custom24
@Broughtonblue
@david k
@vickster (from Jan 18th)
@martint235
@MickeyBlueEyes
@Steve H
@WellyWonkey
@Brad123
@Easytigers
@mooseracer
@Spinney
@Dave 123
@Smeggers II
@4F
@Andrew_Culture
@The Jogger
@speccy1
@mattobrien
@DooDah
@AndyRM
@edindave
@mickle
@eck
@nickyboy
@Freds Dad
@Fubar

Have I missed anyone?

Last edited:

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
I've been seriously considering a similar plan. I don't like to use my bike too much in the wet as it doesn't seem to be good for it, so exercise takes a hit, the weight starts to creep up, and booze does represent calories I could spare... if I have the mental fortitude!!!!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I told people I was doing the quit & diet thing as another enforced spell off the bike is looming. Cue 2 bottles of rather nice whisky for Christmas so (purely not to offend the givers of course) I'm doing rationing rather than quitting totally.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Im doing this, I failed last year but managed 3 or 4 months iirc.

My reasons are to prepare for the Paris Brest Paris by completing a SR and have paid for my entries to some Audax's. I'll be commuting at least 6000 miles alone as well. Tbh as well I've noticed this last few months my mood dips for about a week when I've been out with the lads on a session.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
I want to do the same but the timing's awful - there's more booze, chocs and temptation in the house than has been all year, and the weather's not been the nicest for getting long rides in! I might have a really strong push from Jan for 3 months to lose everything I've put on in the last 6 weeks. As for motivation - just getting back to feeling how I did when I was training should do it! Well good luck anyway...

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I told people I was doing the quit & diet thing as another enforced spell off the bike is looming. Cue 2 bottles of rather nice whisky for Christmas so (purely not to offend the givers of course) I'm doing rationing rather than quitting totally.

I did consider this, but in reality I'm already rationing, just quite generously.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Im doing this, I failed last year but managed 3 or 4 months iirc.

My reasons are to prepare for the Paris Brest Paris by completing a SR and have paid for my entries to some Audax's. I'll be commuting at least 6000 miles alone as well. Tbh as well I've noticed this last few months my mood dips for about a week when I've been out with the lads on a session.

The mood thing is another motivator for me, if I don't drink anything at all I'm always more chipper in the mornings!

stevey

Guru
This time last year i gave up for weight issues having reached my desired weight bar a few xmas lbs, this xmas day i treated myself to a small glass of red wine low alcohol.

Haven't missed it at all and suprised myself how easy i found it just to stop.

My cycling and fitness have taken the place of beer/ale and crap food.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was drinking too much beer, too often, in the run up to my hospitalisation in August 2012. That near-fatal illness was a big wake-up call so I decided to give up alcohol until I was fit and well again, and could afford it.

Results?
  • I have lost 3.5 stone in weight
  • I have probably saved over £2,000
  • I haven't had any hangovers!
  • I am no longer looking bleary-eyed and knackered
  • Apart from issues connected to my clotting, I have not been ill - no colds, flu, general bugs
  • I have been less depressed than I normally am
So, I am going to keep it up into 2014, and perhaps forever! (I do fancy a couple of nights a week of moderate boozing, but I worry about slipping back into my old habits.)

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
i gave up drinking when i was married, we used to have weekends away with another couple, also drinkers and we had to look at the photos the following week to see where we had been !!!!

Top Bottom