The bottle cage challenge... (to complete by Christmas)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, having read the thread bouncing around about the most expensive bottle cage I thought I might start a competition to produce a cheap bottle cage just for fun really.

So, the challenge is, to produce a bottle cage that is functional and show it fitted to a bike doing it's job, however, it is to be produced from a wire coat hanger!

anyone up for the challenge? have a go and post pics and we'll see if we have a winner by christmas!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Does it have to be a wire coat hanger? Those things can be tricky to find these days! I don't have any in my wardrobe.

I can think of a lot of other scrap materials that could work though...

Lanzecki

Über Member
Go to your local welding supplies company and ask for stainless steel (or mild steel) TIG welding rod. I hope that would be acceptable to Black Sheep?

I said Stainless as my local supplier will sell single lengths, where as they want to sell a hole tube of mild Steel. Plus it won't rust and it looks much better.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'd rather just use something I can easily access, scrapheap challenge style.

I have an idea, in fact.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sorry BlackSheep, we seem to have hijacked your idea!

Anyway, anyone with spare wire coathangers, leading up to Christmas, should be saving them to make a Blue Peter Advent Crown.

remembering-blue-peters-advent-crown.png

OP
OP
Black Sheep
hahaha,

anything similar to a wire coat hanger can be used, or scrounged from a scrap-yard - basically the idea was using a common, cheap, household object to make a bottle cage from, so yes Arch, you can get skip raiding and yes, a welding rod would be acceptable as it is a similar material and so an acceptable substitute.

Lanzecki

Über Member
Right, time to fire up the CAD and wam up the CNC machine. Alternatively, actually hold the metal, and see what happens.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I wonder whether it would be possible to put an old wheel - the kind that get left behind on Sheffield stands - to good use. Spokes to reinforce, loops of tyre beading, that sort of thing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
At risk of taking this too seriously...

Should we specify that it has to work in motion, as well as just parked up. Like, the bottle doesn't just bounce out...:B)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Right, the game is on!:bicycle:

Well, it will be tomorrow when I can get the material I'm thinking of....

Will there be marks for technical merit and artistic impression?:giggle:

Top Bottom