The Brian Robinson Challenge, Kirklees - entries open - Sun 29th April 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Done a few training rides around the 60mile mark and I'm a regular commuter, hopefully got enough in the legs! I have done Holme Moss once and Wessenden Head once, never together though. Was out that way last Sunday and got soaked to the bone between Greenfield and Holmfirth, although I didnt enjoy it much I suppose it was ideal prep looking at the forecast.
Fingers crossed for a good day for all taking part!

Sounds like you should be fine. My training run's 60 miles but I've not done that route for a couple of weeks due to a 2-day Coast-2-Coast run a fortnight ago plus a big walk last weekend.

The weather looks like it'll start dry, but then rain will appear during the ride about 9-10am, heaviest about 11-12 and then easing off a bit.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

I got round this - Riders Tale to follow. Tough event Brutal event - and I was passed by lots of people, who then stopped and re-passed me (some 3 times) due to them stopping at the feed stations to try and get warm! Back in just over 5 hours, with 4.48 riding time.

Didn't see anyone I knew from here - Svendo poss? - but given that I couldn't see much due to the winds and rain I'm not surprised. They shortened the route due to the weather. No Holme Moss, but the climb out of Holmfirth to Upperthong wasn't any easier imo. I arrived back utterly soaked and shaking with the cold/wet. The roads were flooded in places, with cars simply creating bow waves as they went past.

Did anyone else make it? Of the 500+ booked 275 didn't start and apparently over 100 pulled out during the ride, including a lot with hypothermia. There were about 120-150 finishers only :eek:

Blimey and I was complaining about the wind in Lancaster. Well done for completing though:thumbsup:

Did you manage to get the full route onto your Bryton? If so could you post a link, wouldn't mind taking a crack at it when the weather is better.

Garz

Squat Member
:laugh:

I'm not surprised DCLane! They forecast wigh winds and lots of rain, I am surprised to hear the sportives were not cancelled or offering you free entry to next years. At least we can all agree it's been the wettest drought on record!

Roll on the summer I say.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I got round this - Riders Tale to follow. Tough event Brutal event ...
Well done for doing what you did!

I had a wry smile when reading your earlier post ...
The weather looks like it'll start dry, but then rain will appear during the ride about 9-10am, heaviest about 11-12 and then easing off a bit.
I thought to myself "No way - DCL will be back on later, reporting on the carnage..."! :whistle:

zaid

Toughest ride I've ever done due to hypothermia and the slight disorientation/energy loss that comes with it.
Really chuffed I finished though even if it was a bit over 6 hours.
Met Brian at the finish as well (really nice guy). :smile:

Bald Monkey

CHALLENGE could not be more appropriate! These were the worst conditions I have ever ridden in:cold: . Got round in 4h51m official time, 4h32m riding time by my computer. I could not have been happier when the marshall (all excellent by the way) waved me and my riding buddy past Wessenden Head Road, I think I would have called it a day on that ascent. My mate nearly called it a day near Emley (after my tumble at West Clayton I think) with both of us freezing. We plodded on though and managed to get back in a pretty reasonable time by our standards.
Got to meet Brian at the end, shame I could hardly speak though.
A real baptism of fire, or should that be rain. Think I will give the full route a go IN THE SUMMER!

Bald Monkey

Not brill on computer but Biketoaster says just over 63miles.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Good to see you both finished OK. Bald Monkey - I think you went past me whilst I was defrosting in the petrol station just before Clayton West :cold: . Hopefully your fall wasn't too bad.

A couple of things I've learnt: I don't like descending in the wind. I don't like descending when it's raining. Oh, and when it rains I can't see anything through my glasses.

Given that it rained all day there were times when I was riding completely blind :banghead:

Glad to see some made it to the finish line, well done chaps. We were 50/50 on Saturday after seeing the forecast and over an hours drive to Hudddersfield but we decided to give it a go. The wind seemed to have calmed down a little until a bend about 17 miles in and the headwind was BRUTAL I was struggling to stay on the bike at times and my speed was as low as 5 mph on the uphill and 10 mph on the downhill sections. At the feed station our group decided to head back to Huddersfield with about 36 miles done in total. It was blowing a gale, lashing it down and both hands and feet were numb, not my idea of fun. I enjoyed the section of the route that we did and will be back in the summer to hopefully do the rest.

IMO the race should have been cancelled yesterday as it was extremely unsafe at times with the strong crosswinds.

Bald Monkey

I think my fall was outside a pub with a minibus parked outside. Fall not too bad, couple of bumps and a torn jacket. Only minor scratches to my bike. Thanks for asking! (DCLane) I agree with all your lessons learnt.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

For those of you who overslept this morning and missed the fun, watch this ...

... and just imagine lots of added rain! :thumbsup: (I like the comment at 3:08.)

Yep - that'd be about it. I agree that it should've been cancelled. The event was unsafe - there were people who quit at Holmfirth as well as the feed stop.

It'd make a good forum ride when warm, although probably using some alternative B-roads instead of the main A-roads where possible.

Top Bottom