The cagers come out!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Now is that a cycle lane or just a road edge marking (like in the Telford case) ?

dudi

I like some of the comments that you, as a cyclist, should know when and hwere the traffic is coming from BEHIND you, and get out of the way of them like th second class citizen you are.

By not doing this, you are forcing these drivers against their will into the other lanes... apparently!

that guy is a tool.

I ride a 3 mile long road home from work sometimes, there is a cycle path all the way along it. but I never ride in it... reason being it is full of sunken drain covers, potholes, broken glass and gravel. If it were to ride in it i would have to swerve out into the road every 50 metres to avoid coming a cropper on something. that would be more unpredictable and dangeros than riding just outside the cycle lane.

Does that mean that I am forcing drivers to overtake me? no it doesn't, but it does mean that when the driver does decide it is SAFE to overtake me, they will need to move over an extra 2 feet.

Andy

Tynan

Veteran
yes, they genuinely don;t see cyclists as road users to whom the rules of the road apply to

none of that 'only overtake where it is safe to do so'

bonj2

are any? :biggrin: :biggrin: If i was a rocket scientist i'd want to come to work in a blooming rocket, i wouldn't settle for a gay 'vaux-dull zafira' :biggrin: as jacomus would say.

The sheer level of ignorance always amazes me......

The total lack of any knowledge of the Highway Code or the needs of other road users, does more to demonstrate why these incidents happen.

The "I'm in a car get out of my way" mentality is the real problem here.

domd1979

Veteran
Yep. Cycling home on Friday afternoon, had taken primary on the main road because it isn't wide enough for cars to safely overtake. Combination of traffic signals and busy traffic means that I don't hold anyone up - they just get delayed joining the back of the queue further up by a few seconds. So, on Friday, Volvo S40 man behind me kept leaning on his horn obviously wanting me out the way. Held primary, he eventually got past going onto the wrong side of the road at oncoming traffic, more horn blasting, before screaming off and coming to a standstill 100 yards further up in the queue. Never ceases to amaze me how ignorant and thick people are.

Cunobelin said:
The sheer level of ignorance always amazes me......

The total lack of any knowledge of the Highway Code or the needs of other road users, does more to demonstrate why these incidents happen.

The "I'm in a car get out of my way" mentality is the real problem here.

gbb

Legendary Member
Well....i'm going against the grain then.:biggrin:

Before we start...if the wind was really bad and threatened to put you into the kerb, and thats the reason for riding in primary 90% of the time...fair enough..no comment to make really.

But otherwise..

Your riding seems very defensive or assertive(depends on your definition of primary) JRG..half the time, youre very nearly halfway in the road. You have a much wider cycelane than our local council have given us, yet you dont use it at all.
I saw VERY few drains or potholes in said lane, and it was probably drier in said lane.
Yes, its your right to use the road like everyone else...no doubt. But as a driver and cyclist, i'd be very slightly confused why you're halfway in the road. That said, personally, i'd pass you better than the other drivers did.

The opening shot with WVM, after hes gone, you maintain primary as you approach the very next left jctn...why? I dont see anything approaching from the left.

As you leave the R/A and move toward the traffic lights, you have primary nearly all the way...but why. Theres nothing approaching from the left, and as you near the lights, theres seems to be plenty of room for all if you moved into the cyclelane.

I ask why...there may be good reason, i just cant see what it is.

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

gbb
The opening shot with WVM, after hes gone, you maintain primary as you approach the very next left jctn...why? I dont see anything approaching from the left.

Because the road surface has a very nasty ice crack in it that runs slightly diagonally towards the curb, and it is just waiting to grab a velo's tyres and chuck the rider to the tarmac.

Also, you are correct that the junction was clear, but you can't see very far up it, and WVM come screaming out of there heavily laden with plumbing supplies and nose into the road to see if its clear. I've had a couple of shocks there before, and now I stay well away from the "nose zone".

As you leave the R/A and move toward the traffic lights, you have primary nearly all the way...but why. Theres nothing approaching from the left, and as you near the lights, theres seems to be plenty of room for all if you moved into the cyclelane.

There was plenty of room for all without me being in the farcility - which is strewn with glass and other debris that the vid doesn't show. The road is extreeeeemly wide there, the first two cars to pass me still had room on their RHS to the centreline, the last car cut me up by trying to take me before the traffic light island, which I usually take in primary because it is too narow to get a car and a bike through safely - especially in those conditions!

In the dry I tend to ride on the white line, but with that wind I needed the room. It couldn't be called primary either as I was on the LHS of the LH wheeltrack.

I ask why...there may be good reason, i just cant see what it is.

Hope that explains :biggrin:

Top Bottom