1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The cameraphone strikes again...

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Twenty Inch, 13 Sep 2007.

1. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Normally, I find truck drivers to be among the better, more mannerly drivers on the road. They rarely push past or do other stupid things. As a result, if I’m on the bike I’ll try and let them past if I can.

This morning however, my mate and I were cycling down a long, speedy suburban road with the usual complement of islands, bollards and parked cars. A stupid trucker started to overtake when far too close to the next island and had to pull in too soon, forcing Tim and I into emergency braking to avoid either hitting the parked car ahead or being crushed under the truck's rear wheels.

I knew I’d catch him at the next junction, so – CAMERAPHONE at the ready! Pulled up just in front, made damn sure he noticed me “photographing” his face and the reg number, looked at my watch, gave him a nod and took great delight in the mixture of anger, confusion and worry that played over his face.

He then made a gesture to his head as if to say “Why aren’t you wearing a helmet?”. Because a helmet is really going to help me when a 40-footer drives over me, isn’t it?

Funny.

Needless to say, I didn’t even bother really taking a picture.

2. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

The truck didn't have a company name/logo?

3. skwerl

skwerl New Member

4. magnatom

magnatom Guest

You really need to start actually taking a picture!! Or of course you could invest in a helmet camera......:smile:

Seriously though, forcing you to emergency brake is a sign of very bad driving and if you know who he works for it would be worth a letter. You have a witness.

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

We don't need helmet cams... come on it's a big bad world, car or bike ?

6. col

col Veteran

I take it you hadnt noticed the island ,and the possibility that he had left it too late to overtake you,possibly causing you to emergency stop yourself?:smile:

7. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Saw the same truck and driver again this morning. He's a multi-drop delivery driver, hence the rubbish driving. Furious letter sent to CEO. Will let you know.

8. ChrisW

ChrisW Senior Member

Cool, go for him!

9. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Wrote a furious yet polite letter to the CEO of his company, ending with the promise that "any further dangerous driving will be reported to the police, along with a copy of this letter as evidence that I have already reminded you of your obligations [to other road users]".

Got a reply yesterday apologising, apologising, thanking me for drawing it to his attention, and promising to pass it to transport manager for follow-up. We'll see what transpires.

10. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Good result! Lets hope they take it as seriously as they should.

11. John Ponting

John Ponting Über Member

Multidrop driver now knows about you and is on the lookout. Next time he'll brake even harder.:blush:

btw I know it is a real problem and am not making light of it.

12. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

:o) Yes, I'd thought of that. The police will find the cringing letter from his CEO on my bloody corpse.