The cameraphone strikes again...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Normally, I find truck drivers to be among the better, more mannerly drivers on the road. They rarely push past or do other stupid things. As a result, if I’m on the bike I’ll try and let them past if I can.

This morning however, my mate and I were cycling down a long, speedy suburban road with the usual complement of islands, bollards and parked cars. A stupid trucker started to overtake when far too close to the next island and had to pull in too soon, forcing Tim and I into emergency braking to avoid either hitting the parked car ahead or being crushed under the truck's rear wheels.

I knew I’d catch him at the next junction, so – CAMERAPHONE at the ready! Pulled up just in front, made damn sure he noticed me “photographing” his face and the reg number, looked at my watch, gave him a nod and took great delight in the mixture of anger, confusion and worry that played over his face.

He then made a gesture to his head as if to say “Why aren’t you wearing a helmet?”. Because a helmet is really going to help me when a 40-footer drives over me, isn’t it?

Funny.

Needless to say, I didn’t even bother really taking a picture.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The truck didn't have a company name/logo?

You really need to start actually taking a picture!! Or of course you could invest in a helmet camera......:smile:

Seriously though, forcing you to emergency brake is a sign of very bad driving and if you know who he works for it would be worth a letter. You have a witness.

col

Legendary Member
I take it you hadnt noticed the island ,and the possibility that he had left it too late to overtake you,possibly causing you to emergency stop yourself?:smile:

OP
OP
T
Saw the same truck and driver again this morning. He's a multi-drop delivery driver, hence the rubbish driving. Furious letter sent to CEO. Will let you know.

OP
OP
T
Wrote a furious yet polite letter to the CEO of his company, ending with the promise that "any further dangerous driving will be reported to the police, along with a copy of this letter as evidence that I have already reminded you of your obligations [to other road users]".

Got a reply yesterday apologising, apologising, thanking me for drawing it to his attention, and promising to pass it to transport manager for follow-up. We'll see what transpires.

Multidrop driver now knows about you and is on the lookout. Next time he'll brake even harder.:blush:

btw I know it is a real problem and am not making light of it.

OP
OP
T
John Ponting said:
Multidrop driver now knows about you and is on the lookout. Next time he'll brake even harder.:blush:

btw I know it is a real problem and am not making light of it.

:o) Yes, I'd thought of that. The police will find the cringing letter from his CEO on my bloody corpse.

Top Bottom