The campsites situation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
What's the camping situation like at the moment. It looks like a lot of camp sites are still closed and I am guessing the others are packed.

midlife

Guru
Been told that the campsites open here in the North Lakes are jam packed...

Drago

Legendary Member
My neighbours have recently bought a camper and just yesterday were bemoaning the fact that they struggling to book a pitch anywhere. Im not even going to try until later in the year.

No toilets/shared facilities at any sites until May 17.
Am guessing it will be packed until the fag end of the season so probably not much fun anyway - I don't like packed campsites where your tent has a square in a grid.
May try at the end of the season - until then I think I'll go for mini free-camp adventures of up to 3 days.
May plot some routes between various spoons.

Slioch

Guru
We had a day out in Whitby on Friday, and coming back to York in the early evening I couldn't believe the number of camper vans that were going the other way heading for the coast. There was the odd "bigger" one, but most were of the normal transit van size, with the most popular brand being VW. People must have money to burn at present, those things aint cheap!

Slioch

Guru
Going camping myself in a couple of weeks time for a few days midweek , just me, the car, a bike, and a smallish tent. Trying to find a basic campsites near the coast in East Yorkshire or in the Peak District, and I'm struggling to find anything that will be open.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We had a day out in Whitby on Friday, and coming back to York in the early evening I couldn't believe the number of camper vans that were going the other way heading for the coast. There was the odd "bigger" one, but most were of the normal transit van size, with the most popular brand being VW. People must have money to burn at present, those things aint cheap!
I notice here on Mull that there are very few motorhomes but lots of camper vans. As you mention transit size. They are actually more expensive to buy than most larger motorhomes.

Baldy

Über Member
Going camping myself in a couple of weeks time for a few days midweek , just me, the car, a bike, and a smallish tent. Trying to find a basic campsites near the coast in East Yorkshire or in the Peak District, and I'm struggling to find anything that will be open.
I hear from friends in the Peak that landowner are moving on wild campers from places they never bothered before. Always a few idiots spoil it for the rest.

Julia9054

Guru
Have paid for 2 nights glamping in a shepherd's hut just outside Rosedale Abbey at the start of June.
It was the only place I could find at half term within cycling distance of my house. It was expensive and I can't help feeling a little bit ripped off compared to gites I have stayed in in France in the past.
Really just needed something to look forward to though. And it comes with its own hot tub.

Have paid for 2 nights glamping in a shepherd's hut just outside Rosedale Abbey at the start of June.
It was the only place I could find at half term within cycling distance of my house. It was expensive and I can't help feeling a little bit ripped off compared to gites I have stayed in in France in the past.
Really just needed something to look forward to though. And it comes with its own hot tub.
Shepherd's hut, hot tub? Sure it's not a sheep dip?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The tourer part on our static site has no spare spots. We do have quite a few that are here all year, but all the spare spaces are gone. The shower blocks are closed so only self contained at present. Nant Hall campsite didn't look too full, but it's the shower/loo blocks being closed until mid month.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I notice here on Mull that there are very few motorhomes but lots of camper vans. As you mention transit size. They are actually more expensive to buy than most larger motorhomes.
£35k to £80k range new for most Campervans, but motorhomes can comfortably go waay over that but most are in the £35 to £150k range new before becoming silly sizes or very bespoke. But whilst campervans appear substantially cheaper, than motorhomes they’re really not!
Sales have gone mental over the last year too.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
£35k to £80k range new for most Campervans, but motorhomes can comfortably go waay over that but most are in the £35 to £150k range new before becoming silly sizes or very bespoke. But whilst campervans appear substantially cheaper, than motorhomes they’re really not!
Sales have gone mental over the last year too.
I agree that the bigger motorhomes are certainly very expensive but in the used market before the pandemic I looked at a smaller camper and decided that I was better sticking with a coachbuilt.
My problem was that for ferry travel I had to stay under 6 metres and there are not many coachbuilts at that level.
Incidentally Corran Ferry are now grading motorhomes and campers according to length which they did not do before. Makes sense but if my Peugeot Partner was converted I would be penalised. I have a blue badge and do not pay for a car anyway on this ferry but with a motorhome I don't know how they would work it.

contadino

Veteran
I know a ranger that works the peaks who tells me it's been pretty manic for months. When folk can't get a pitch in a site, it seems they just go a couple of hundred metres from a carpark and pitch up. He's been working until the early hours every night trying to move people on and they're just scratching the surface.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I booked three sites this week for July and August - touring caravan. Yes, availability was patchy so it was a case of going with what there was, but it wasn’t too bad - and that was just through the CAMC; looking at indies there appears to be options out there with a bit of research.

Top Bottom