The car manufacturers are coming!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One of the things that depresses me about ebikes in general is that they'll spell the end for bikes made from industry standard, compatible, interchangeable components. Once manufacturers decide to stop making spares all you've got is a load of scrap metal.

The era of the throwaway bike is just over the horizon.

I think that's the point, but I also don't think they'll end up as ubiquitous as people believe.

Jameshow

Veteran
News just in Ribble are about to make a supercar it's faster than a Tesla and Bugatti.

Watch this space for further updates!

Throwaway bikes? Ever checked out the metal skip at your local "recycling" centre? Often many bikes in there. The canal fishing guys where we used to live often caught a bike, even they left them at the side unwanted.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Throwaway bikes? Ever checked out the metal skip at your local "recycling" centre? Often many bikes in there. The canal fishing guys where we used to live often caught a bike, even they left them at the side unwanted.
Reminds me of the black country pair Enoch and Eli.
(Said in a thick Brum/black country accent)
Enoch had been fishing in the canal.
What did you catch ? asks Eli.
I caught a whale replies Enoch.
Are you sure? How do you know it was a whale?
It had spokes in it.

Normal bikes have fairly standard parts. This means that even a 'scrap' bike can often be repaired and reused: if a component is broken it can generally be replaced fairly easily, and if the frame is damaged you can still salvage other bits. Many frames and parts on e-bikes are non-standard, I suspect deliberately, so it's harder to salvage parts and reuse them.

Last edited:
Most ebikes sold use fairly generic ebike parts. Proprietary parts are more expensive to manufacture so they are typically on higher priced ebikes but the average price of a bike sold in the UK is only about £400 and that includes ebikes. However that data doesn't come from all retailers but does include independent bike shops or at least the wholesalers and bike brands that supply them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Electric-Bikes/zgbs/sports/469685031

Proprietary is normally an issue for higher cost bikes or ebikes and less of an issue with cheaper models.

I think its important to point out most European and US bike brands are not manufacturers and those that are often are more assemblers than manufacturers with key parts coming from Asia. Most ebikes come from Asia and those that don't typically have a very high percentage of Asian manufactured parts.

Even if I had the money there is zero chance I would buy a high end Porsche ebike, I'm not into high cost yet disposable products like that.

I can't see Porsche making much of a dent in the marketplace in fact especially here where people's incomes are likely to continue to fall as the interest payments on government debts increase and the government is forced to tax more to pay the interest. Disposable income is likely to fall considerably as it already has and this will continue. Porsche may carve out a significant chunk of the high end niche ebike market but that is still very few ebikes overall compared to the Asian manufacturers and such high cost models are difficult to use day to day without risk of theft.

DRM

Guru
I think you will find Porsche has more racing heritage, experience, track record than every pedal bike manfacture combine + more :smile:.
I don’t recall ever seeing a Porsche bike win any bike race, anywhere in the world
The process of producing a powered racing machine is something every car manfacture is well rehearsed for. When it comes to R&D these car manfactures have budgets on a different level.
For making cars, they CAN‘T compete with an established Taiwanese bike factory that can mass produce bikes
Five figure pedal bikes are well established, so the market is there for something really innovative. We'll have to wait and see, my Creo is great but it's still very much built using normal parts
Yes for a Pinarello the same spec as Ineos use, or a UAE Team Emirates Colnago VR4, for example, not some over priced abomination that Porsche come up with, people who spend top dollar on a bike don’t want something innovative that will invariably be heavy and neither one type of bike or another, at a stupid price that Porsche think they can gouge
I would really love to see what a bespoke eBike could look like built up using all the technology a company like Porsche has access to. So F1 levels of carbon frame production/tolerances, the latest in battery and motor tech coupled with drivetrain optimisations, slim down power electronics, and ofcourse aero gains to the smallest detail. It'll be £££££ to buy (and develop) but compared to a £100k+ Taycan still 'cheap'
They won’t bother as they know it’s a total waste of resources, both human and materials and too expensive to contemplate even doing

DRM

Guru
Top Bottom