The CC col-bagger thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
They mightn't have the fame of the Tourmalet one in France but it turns out the UK and Ireland is home to 2002 cols (and 105 passes). That's according to research by Graham Robb, a keen cyclist and walker who's book 'Cols and Passes of the British Isles' was published last summer by Penguin.
A col is the 'lowest point on the saddle between two mountains' or hills. These necks in the landscape are 'portals rather than obstacles, which is why walkers and cyclists who travel for pleasure rather than punishment soon learn to appreciate their magical qualities.' They've been highways and byways for people and animals since pre-history and naturally they've had numerous legends and stories attached to them.
In Wales their whereabouts might be hidden as bwlch or in the highlands of Scoltland as bealach, they are described in dozens of ways or not at all.
I was excited to discover that London has its own col and I pass over both directions pretty much every day. Here it is, up Honour Oak Park and down Forest Hill Rd:

upload_2017-3-7_0-27-0.png

Mr Robb has dedicated his book to the first person who passes over every col without resorting to an engine. I guess that would take one very dedicated person a lifetime. Instead, for a bit of fun let's see what the collective legs of CycleChat can do about making a start on this impossible quest.
Not all of us will be lucky but hopefully, those of us with the geographic opportunity will post about our col-bagging.

Cols_and_Passes_of_the_British_Isles_-_Graham_Robb_-_Map.0.jpg

In the meantime, here's a link to a feature from The Telegraph by the author on his journey to writing the book...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/acti...scover-britains-cols---our-lost-mountain-hig/

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
OK, so it turns out the route posted above is not the Col de Sydenham Hill which goes to show quite how pesky these things are to find.
Now I've bought graham robb's book - it's a nice thing too - I've worked out that this is the only col in London, right by the Horniman Museum...
20170318_130147.jpg

You can now maybe tell that as well as being on the brow of the road it's also at the bottom of two hills going off to the left and right which if I understand correctly is pretty much the definition of a col.
20170318_130433.jpg
20170318_130129.jpg

The book points out that Emile Zola would have crossed this col back and forth on his velocipede when he lived on the ridge.

Whilst you can hardly turn around in North Wales, the Lakes or the highlands without crossing a col they're rare indeed in the south east of England. I'm gonna have a go at plotting a couple of routes which bag the limited amount within a ride and back from the smoke. If anyone wants to know about their local col just give us a shout

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
The Scottish CCers are going to bag a few on the way to Mull via Lochgilphead and Oban. If they stick to their planned route they will cycle down the beallach, I'm sure there are a couple more if they are interested enough to check.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
I'll get back to you @Supersuperleeds

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
There's a strava segment " col de flesh novel " in Quorn . Basically it's the bridge over the A6 from Barrow does that count
Haha, probably not, but I'll check.
CC Ecosse must have bagged a few Cols when we did Glasgow to the Lakes last year.
I reckon. Do you have the route? There's a lovely bit of writing in the book which I'll quote (I hope the author doesn't mind and hopefully a few will be inspired to buy his work off the back of this thread)...
20170318_232745.jpg
20170318_232951.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
The one circled I would say is closest to me

View attachment 343072
I think you've circled Chadwick Nick in Derbyshire's Amber Valley and you're in luck because it's on a road (only 123 of England's 268 cols contain asphalt) some 217 metres above sea level. The nearest place is Crich, it's latitude is 53.07505 and longitude -1.48181. National grid reference: SK3481453216. The only note about it says 'name on sign in sewage treatment plant'.
A quick Internet search for chadwick nick turns up some parish history notes describing the Nick as obvious when you see the pass in the hill. A former packhorse track, Dick Turpin is reputed to have ridden over it.
Good luck.

Top Bottom