The collection so far...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Flat tyre sorted, maiden voyage accomplished, all of about 75 yards to see what it's like. I'll just call it 'odd' I think, and perhaps suggest it's not ideal for a 17+stone bloke like me. To avoid disappointment I bought a Sun ladies racer as well today, and I think I've found a home for the Itera above.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Picked this up this morning, a Puch Rugby Sports. All the others I've seen so far in the internet have 3 speed S.A gearing, this however has some odd set up I've not seen before. Two 'racer' style shifters, one (he said) was the 3 speed, and the left an extra 5 gears. The hub states 5 speed on it. Anyhow, it's great and quite interesting imho. Anyone know much about them, please?

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
He reckons you can pedal using the 3 speed shifter, then use the 5 speed one and it's 'like an overdrive'. I'll pump the tyres up later and give it a try.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
I think you will find it's a 3 speed on the right hand side and then 2 overdrive on the left side , the hub should have a model code on it .

Thank you. Just to make things even stranger, the right hand side has a twist grip, as well as the 'racer' lever.

How does the over drive bit work please, is it effectively a low and high range for each of the 'normal' three gears, or just 4th and 5th gear each with a lower ratio?

Thanks once again.

That could be the same SA S5 5-speed hub as one of my Bromptons. The middle of the 3 speeds on the right is direct drive, while the left lever selects between wide and narrow ranges... so the shifting is, from lowest to highest:

Left tight, right tight (low gear)
Left loose, right tight
Left irrelevant, right middle (direct drive)
Left loose, right loose
Left tight, right loose (top gear)

Slightly counterintuitive, but you get used to it!

Have fun :smile:

Top Bottom