The coming of the Sherpa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
I am so excited cos it's arrived.
What?
Well here's the clue:

IMG_0677.JPG

See my blog here: http://amotorhomelife.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/the-coming-of-sherpa.html
for full details.

I really am sick with fun and excitement.
Smile!

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

That's a great colour.....congrats. I hope you have many happy miles together :smile:
Many thanks Rocky...
I note you're a fellow Thorn rider.
Cheers
Geoff

Cringles

I was just thinking of you the other day 'wonder did that guy get his bike, he said he'd come back with pictures''.. Bike looks great, I'll read & follow the blog now. That's pretty much my ideal bike.

jhawk

Veteran
Thanks.
See my reply in "What tours are you planning ..." thread.

Saw that precisely three seconds after I'd posted my comment! :whistle:

Happy trails mate!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Congratulate Geoff, that is really nice. I thought the stem on my Koga World Traveller was high, but yours looks even higher.

What mirrors are those and are they steady enough?

image_zps72e530af.jpg

Bikerta

I know what everyone says but a. I'm not prepared to chance it and b. I really do have better things to do than keep my leather saddle nourished and protected.

I put a Brooks on mine as they were very cheap via Thorn when purchasing the bike. I thought I would give it a go as I knew I could easily get the money back by selling the saddle on if it did not work out. I understand your reasoning on not wanting to chance it and I found it did take some getting used to. I did not find it exactly comfortable out of the box, but 50 mile trips were usually bearable with no saddle sores. The only time I got a saddle sore was when I completed a 75 mile ride. I had no real problems on the JOGLE as I had already completed a thousand miles on the saddle before leaving. Although the Brooks saddles feel hard to sit on, they don't seem to feel any worse after 50 miles than they did at the beginning and because they have the "slippery feel" to them there is less chance of friction.

As far as keeping the saddle nourished and protected, this is no problem whatsoever. Just a coating of proofide on top and underneath when new, then it only needs doing once or twice a year after that. I always keep a plastic bag or a shower cap with me to protect against the rain and this is not needed when riding the bike, just when stood outside.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Congratulate Geoff, that is really nice. I thought the stem on my Koga World Traveller was high, but yours looks even higher.

What mirrors are those and are they steady enough?

image_zps72e530af.jpg
Cheers Steve.
Yes, the stem does look high doesn't it, but, hey, it's comfy.
The mirror is a Zefal Spy. I had it on my Dawes and just transferred it to the Sherpa. After today's ride it's moved a bit and may takes some fiddling to get it right but all my bikes have mirrors and I'd miss 'em if they weren't there. But yes, once tight they don't move.
BTW your Koga looks great.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

I put a Brooks on mine as they were very cheap via Thorn when purchasing the bike. I thought I would give it a go as I knew I could easily get the money back by selling the saddle on if it did not work out. I understand your reasoning on not wanting to chance it and I found it did take some getting used to. I did not find it exactly comfortable out of the box, but 50 mile trips were usually bearable with no saddle sores. The only time I got a saddle sore was when I completed a 75 mile ride. I had no real problems on the JOGLE as I had already completed a thousand miles on the saddle before leaving. Although the Brooks saddles feel hard to sit on, they don't seem to feel any worse after 50 miles than they did at the beginning and because they have the "slippery feel" to them there is less chance of friction.

As far as keeping the saddle nourished and protected, this is no problem whatsoever. Just a coating of proofide on top and underneath when new, then it only needs doing once or twice a year after that. I always keep a plastic bag or a shower cap with me to protect against the rain and this is not needed when riding the bike, just when stood outside.

Yeah, understood Jackie but my Velo suits just fine so far.
Cheers
Geoff

Top Bottom