The council's spraying the weeds why bother?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The man's out on his quad bike spraying the harmless weeds i see! Every year we have this, I don't know why, some weeds look quite nice but when they die due to the poisoning they go all brown and unsightly. The council doesn't remove them so why are brown dead weeds better than green flowery weeds?

Twinks

Über Member
Are they just spraying generally or is it the poisonous ragwort that is being sprayed. It really annoys me locally that they go round spraying willy nilly yet don't do anything about ragwort which is a notifiable weed, spreads like wildfire and is toxic to everything but the cinnabar moth.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Are they just spraying generally or is it the poisonous ragwort that is being sprayed. It really annoys me locally that they go round spraying willy nilly yet don't do anything about ragwort which is a notifiable weed, spreads like wildfire and is toxic to everything but the cinnabar moth.

They spray everything. Last year there were some little white and purple flowers growing where the road joins the kerb. Nice looking they were too, till Mr quad bike sprayed them then 2 days later they were brown and wilted!:dry:

Twinks

Über Member
At the farm where I keep my horses they spray fanatically every year, failing miserably to have it looking like a bowling green, the result being I still spend hours every summer pulling up ragwort (which it doesn't touch) and every time it rains heavy (which is a lot in Glossop:rolleyes:) the rain runs straight off the field and floods the barn and stables:angry:. Anyway who decides what is a weed????

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A weed is just a plant growing in the wrong place

Weed flowers and seeds are a vital part of the biodiversity. They encourage insects that other animals eat and provide seeds that are vital to a lot of species in the winter. You only need to look at the sad case of the Turtle Dove to see the impact of getting rid of weeds, hedgerows etc. 95% reduction in population since 1970. We should discourage indiscriminate spraying like this

KneesUp

Guru
A weed is just a plant growing in the wrong place

Weed flowers and seeds are a vital part of the biodiversity. They encourage insects that other animals eat and provide seeds that are vital to a lot of species in the winter. You only need to look at the sad case of the Turtle Dove to see the impact of getting rid of weeds, hedgerows etc. 95% reduction in population since 1970. We should discourage indiscriminate spraying like this
All of the above, and in terms politicians understand: it's a waste of money

Dave 123

Legendary Member
You're right Accy but....

If the weeds being sprayed are in the edges of roads/pavements they will impede drainage and slowly break up the surface of the roads.

Spraying around the edges of grass areas and round trees should be a criminal offence. Lazy gits!

Sara_H

Guru
If it weren't for the dandelions there'd hardly be any flowers in my garden.

ayceejay

Guru
When I worked in a shop a guy would come round twice a year to change the fluorescent tubes, he didn't just change the dead ones but all of them as this was considered cheaper by the establishment - I think the same thing is going on here. To recognize which weeds are noxious and what to kill them with would require someone at a higher pay grade than your man on the quad bike.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I get annoyed when they spray my road, there isn't any footpath outside my garden on my side of the road, so my hedge is the boundary. And it's in a low bank in which I have primroses and geraniums planted. I've seen them spray them, and I want vegetation on the bank to stabilise it so that it doesn't wash mud onto the road:banghead:

(I've prevented it this year by leaving a car parked outside on the road but it's a bit of an extreme measure and after its sold I won't be able to do that).

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Until we have a cinnabar moth epidemic....

There's a derelict bungalow near the park where I live which has a massive Japanese Knotweed infestation in the back garden... the Council know it's there and haven't done anything about it- [wonders if they have right of access to deal with it even on land they don't own and haven't got rights to enter.... it's only a matter of time before it invades the park...]

Last edited:
Top Bottom