the curse of the yellow jersey?

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by gavroche, 19 Jul 2012.

1. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

Looking back over the years, it seems that wearing the yellow jersey may be harmful to your life. All the following riders have worn the yellow jersey in past tdf. They all died young: koblet 39, Coppi 41, Fignon 50, Bobet 58 and Anquetil 53. It makes you wonder, doesn't it?

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Nope.

3. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

It's actually possible from similar data that Bobet is not unusual at all. The life expectancy at birth from 1925 was a lot lower than it is now. Some data suggests he lived to a completely average age for the time and some other suggests he may even have exceeded it.

4. Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture Internet Marketing bod

Five riders in one hundred and nine years of the Tour de France seems like good odds to me. Next you'll be telling me a lot of famous musicians died at 29...

5. OP
    OP
    gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

It is actually 99 tdf as it didn't run during the two world wars.

6. Andrew_Culture

<pedant>Which is why I said 'in 109 years of the TDF' rather than 'in 109 tours'.</pedant>

4F, asterix, Maylian and 2 others like this.
  7. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

There are more than those 5 that died at those sorts of ages (I can think of at least another three). However as I said for quite a few of them back then the life expectancy was substantially lower than it is today.

8. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

*phew* I'm glad I clicked this thread and didn't discover it to be a Spoiler thread! Was half expecting news of Wiggo being snatched off his bike by a Yeti in Today's mountain stage or summit...

asterix, Maylian and Mad Doug Biker like this.
  9. Noodley

Noodley Guest

I think you'll find that there are considerably more riders who have worn the yellow jersey in the past. Some of them will also have died young, some by natural means and others due to suicide or misadventure.

10. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

Marco Pantani and Tom Simpson died young too, I wonder why :whistle:

11. Noodley

Noodley Guest

If you google "the curse of the yellow jersey?" and look at the results then you'll see just how much of a curse it is. :laugh:

12. PaulB

PaulB Guru

Robert Millar had a sincerely held belief that he was going to die at 51. He believed the Chinese had it right by claiming the human body has a capacity of x-number of heart beats, after which, death! Millar did some calculations and thought that his heart-rate in training and racing would get him up to the 'required number' faster than had he lived a sedentary life. I know he didn't win the yellow jersey BTW, I'm just pointing out the belief that severe exercise/training/racing regimes exists in some quarters.

13. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Kurt Cobain had a stripey jumper. Does he count?

Mad Doug Biker and raindog like this.
  14. festival

festival Über Member

Rubbish.

15. Andrew_Culture

He was 27 when he died...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice