The Cycle Show - NEC - 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went on the trade day and was genuinely impressed by the whole thing. Some quite big names were not present, notably Giant, and Bianchi. I reckon that there were more stands this year and there seemed to be a good vibe among the trade. The parking is a rip-off though and some of the infrstructure was poor - both cash machines were u/s for instance. I went last year, and will definitely go again next year.

I went to the show yesterday, saturday. It was alright but have to say it didn't have the same buzz as last year, maybe I was expecting too much as I really enjoyed my first visit.

I'll probably give the next one a miss.

Had a great day with my Son, very enjoyable.

Arrived, reached down to pay for some food and realised for the first time EVER in my life I had forgot my wallet!!

Only a couple of things that I would have bought at low cost, but will get them later.

I enjoyed walking around and seeing some of the awesome bits of kit. Fortunately my Son knows much more than I do so was able to explain things.

I was surprised the show was so small to be honest. Oh and Raleigh seems to have the biggest stand.

If you are into photography and are going Saturday or Sunday take a decent camera for the indoor MBX. I only had my small camera with me and was annoyed that I had to taken the D3S with 70 - 200 which would have been perfect.

Best regards

Chris
I went yesterday with my two teens, had a try out on the road bike circuit, had to convince the people there to let us have a go as i'd no I.D on me (they didn't ask for it last year) still a pretty good show in my opinion.

Basil.B

Guru
Went for the first time last year and enjoyed it.
Went yesterday and wasn't that impressed, not enough Road bikes.
Only saw one Giant and one Cannondale!
Saw Sir.Alan Sugar pottering around.
Only highlight was seeing Joanna Rowsell with her Gold Medal.

I had a complementary ticket so went on Friday and thought it very poor as there was nothing new for the cycle tourist. Would have been really miffed if I'd paid the £12 entry fee.

I visited bike show yesterday, it was nice but honestly with increase of cycling market in last years and with cycling explosion with Wiggo and Cavendish I thought was little bit more big.
I think nice small company can not spent thousand of £ as request for to be in it.

edit: and £10 for parking!

Was going to go along today as I had free tickets for 'place in the sun' expo in the next hall as well. However the £20 + for bike show tickets, £20+ for petrol and the cheek of a tenner to park changed my mind, took the family to the flics for the Sunday matinee (theb Sweeney, cracking film btw) and had an hour on the bike instead.

gavgav

Guru
Had a good day out there today. Plenty to see and some very nice bits of kit. The only downsides to me were that it seemed more geared up for trade and consequently many of the stands were not selling anything to the general public, just showing things off. Also, £8.66 for a snack lunch of sandwich, crisps, cake and a drink = Extortion!!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Went to the show today with Gavgav. I liked it and there were a few bikes I could have happily come away with.:thumbsup:

I sat in a velomobile for the first time. Me want one :addict:.

The Sharp's Brewery stand, which was set up like a beach bar, was nice too. :becool:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Went on friday, had a great time drooling over all the kit I can't afford:blush:. Thanks to the nice chap on the cycling holiday stand who gave me a big free poster of the Austrian Tyrol. As usual, I collected waaaay too many catalogues etc. I was especially interested in the GPS bike trackers on show. Did anyone go back to the The Sharp's Brewery stand for another free tipple of Doombar?^_^.

All in all, a grand day out except that blasted long walk from the station. I found it a bit weird that while the show hall was packed out, most of the NEC corridors were eerily quiet and deserted.

Went on friday, had a great time drooling over all the kit I can't afford:blush:. Thanks to the nice chap on the cycling holiday stand who gave me a big free poster of the Austrian Tyrol. As usual, I collected waaaay too many catalogues etc. I was especially interested in the GPS bike trackers on show. Did anyone go back to the The Sharp's Brewery stand for another free tipple of Doombar?^_^.

All in all, a grand day out except that blasted long walk from the station. I found it a bit weird that while the show hall was packed out, most of the NEC corridors were eerily quiet and deserted.
Yes that quite a walk, could have done with cycling from station to the halls.

Top Bottom