The "Cyclechat Helmet Debate Thread" a question/request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The helmet debate thread has been on moderation for over a year now is there any chance it can/will be taken back off again?
The thread was mercilessly trolled by a couple of individuals who, having achieved their aim of effectively getting the thread locked, have barely posted in there since.
I would have thought the time the mods have to spend checking and authorising each post would be considerable, perhaps thread bans would be more effective?

classic33

Leg End Member
Maybe the moderation has stopped the posts appearing.

It's all helmet threads that get moderated, not just one.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Maybe the moderation has stopped the posts appearing.
Yes, That's a possibility. However I think it discourages participation.

It's all helmet threads that get moderated, not just one.
I didn't actually realise that. I originally posted in the Helmet Discussions sub forum and was suprised when it came up for moderation, it was subsequently moved by the mods.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, That's a possibility. However I think it discourages participation.

I didn't actually realise that. I originally posted in the Helmet Discussions sub forum and was suprised when it came up for moderation, it was subsequently moved by the mods.
It's for the reasons you gave, as far as I'm aware.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The helmet debate thread has been on moderation for over a year now is there any chance it can/will be taken back off again?
The thread was mercilessly trolled by a couple of individuals who, having achieved their aim of effectively getting the thread locked, have barely posted in there since.
I would have thought the time the mods have to spend checking and authorising each post would be considerable, perhaps thread bans would be more effective?
I was actually thinking of asking for more moderation, after today's offering. Although there's possibly an educative effect when people reply, I'm not sure it adds a great deal to the sum of human understanding for yet another relative newcomer to post "I think everyone should wear a helmet because I think they're great".

swansonj

Guru
I was actually thinking of asking for more moderation, after today's offering. Although there's possibly an educative effect when people reply, I'm not sure it adds a great deal to the sum of human understanding for yet another relative newcomer to post "I think everyone should wear a helmet because I think they're great".
I'd go the other way. The purpose of a forum is to have debate, not for everyone to doff their cap to a previously adopted orthodoxy (even when the orthodoxy is correct). Newcomers should be encouraged to join in, not squashed by those of us who've seen it all before. Yet no-one can seriously be expected to read the whole thread. So every year or so I'd delete the whole thread and start again.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd go the other way. The purpose of a forum is to have debate, not for everyone to doff their cap to a previously adopted orthodoxy (even when the orthodoxy is correct). Newcomers should be encouraged to join in, not squashed by those of us who've seen it all before. Yet no-one can seriously be expected to read the whole thread. So every year or so I'd delete the whole thread and start again.
You want to read, start at the beginning, don't cut parts out. That's like skipping a couple of chapters in a book.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The lets go round again meme which is frequently thrown at the helmet debate can be applied right across the forum. All sorts of questions and opinions are repeated time and time again, but they have to be, without it the forum dies. I think you're right the thread is just too bloated now for someone to sit down and read it all through, so you're going to get posts like todays, but that's fine, it's what a forum needs. However, I would have thought that the fact that helmet discussions are moderated stifles posting and the creation of new threads.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The lets go round again meme which is frequently thrown at the helmet debate can be applied right across the forum. All sorts of questions and opinions are repeated time and time again, but they have to be, without it the forum dies. I think you're right the thread is just too bloated now for someone to sit down and read it all through, so you're going to get posts like todays, but that's fine, it's what a forum needs. However, I would have thought that the fact that helmet discussions are moderated stifles posting and the creation of new threads.

For what it's worth I approve of quite strong moderation, for.this, and indeed all threads. People should be and and usually are free to disagree,robustly argue and even be downright wrong, but when it gets boring or downright obnoxious, the real debate is actually stiffled rather than it being freedom of speech. Helmet threads are significantly better than the free market version. Ar the risk of conflacting two questions I do see the vastly more serious threads on sexual assault regularly degenerate to the point the women seem to give up / be driven out presumably in disgust.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
For what it's worth I approve of quite strong moderation, for.this, and indeed all threads. People should be and and usually are free to disagree,robustly argue and even be downright wrong, but when it gets boring or downright obnoxious, the real debate is actually stiffled rather than it being freedom of speech. Helmet threads are significantly better than the free market version. Ar the risk of conflacting two questions I do see the vastly more serious threads on sexual assault regularly degenerate to the point the women seem to give up / be driven out presumably in disgust.
It's an interesting juxapostion (would that be the right word?) when you take the robust moderation of the helmet debate and compare it to that of threads such as the one you mentioned. However, the question in my OP really was just that, it was in no way meant to be taken as a criticism or an invitation to debate the quality of the moderation on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom