The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
Still considered appropriate headwear for some living with epilepsy.
Are you going to beat me up for ever because of your misunderstanding ?

The problem with that is that the current low voluntary usage rate is one reason the government won't enact a mandatory helmet law. So please, if you're pro-choice, help preserve that choice by not wearing one.
But apparently nobody EVER tells cyclists not to wear one. Guess that's not true either then.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
But apparently nobody EVER tells cyclists not to wear one. Guess that's not true either then.
I keep getting told "you should wear a helmet" when I'm not wearing one, by cyclists and non cyclists alike. I have also been looked at with scorn by a non helmet wearer for wearing a helmet "what do you think, is it going to save you?"
:rolleyes: Granted, the latter only happened once.
I will keep making a quick personal risk assessment until there is no compulsion. I'm under no illusion a helmet would help in a serious collision, but at my low speed it's good enough head protection should I come off the bike.
What will protect the rest of my body though? :B)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The problem with that is that the current low voluntary usage rate is one reason the government won't enact a mandatory helmet law.
For completeness and ease of reference: that reasoning is shown in statements like the response to https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/48526 which said "Compulsory laws would therefore cause significant enforcement difficulties and without greater public acceptance could have a negative effect on levels of cycling with direct disadvantages and costs in terms of health. For these reasons, the Government has no plans to introduce compulsory cycle helmet laws."

This isn't the first time I've mentioned that on here.

There are also other reasons why we should ask cyclists not to wear one, besides preserving the choice to ride free. There is an argument that if the risk compensation theory is true (that crash helmet wearers take risks that they would not otherwise, which would help explain the sometimes-observed higher crash rate among wearers), then some of those additional risks endanger not only themselves but also other people on bikes, so it's anti-social and it would be better for all non-wearers if crash helmets weren't allowed and so other cyclists took fewer risks.

Similarly, if it's true that the head-heating effect of helmets impairs decision-making as suggested by studying cricketers (who wear more solid helmets, but I think aren't generating as much heat BICBW), then wearing a crash helmet is similar to riding drunk and should be discouraged.

You could take that to mean that cycle crash helmets should be banned, at least outside of controlled closed-road events, but I don't feel the research supports that yet... and it seems a lot further away than the danger of compulsion.

I'm under no illusion a helmet would help in a serious collision, but at my low speed it's good enough head protection should I come off the bike.
Surely only if you fall onto a perfect flat or kerb? Even dropping onto a smooth hemispheric rock isn't in the common testing any more, which I find shocking. (It was in B95 but isn't in EN1078:1997.)

What will protect the rest of my body though? :B)
Actual safety improvements that prevent crashes, rather than padding that might help post-crash, perhaps?

There are also other reasons why we should ask cyclists not to wear one, besides preserving the choice to ride free.
Ha ha ha. Telling people not to wear one so they can keep the choice to wear one!

Again, there really is no point running threads on this topic when you get absurd statements like this.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There is an argument that if the risk compensation theory is true (that crash helmet wearers take risks that they would not otherwise, which would help explain the sometimes-observed higher crash rate among wearers),
Alternatively could that also be explained by the higher number wearing of helmets when they first take up cycling anyway.

mjr

Alternatively could that [sometimes-observed higher crash rate among wearers] also be explained by the higher number wearing of helmets when they first take up cycling anyway.
It could be, but does anyone know recent data on that? Anecdotally, wearing looks more common among those you'd think are more experienced, such as clubs and groups, and less common among children, whose experience must be fairly limited simply by their age.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It could be, but does anyone know recent data on that? Anecdotally, wearing looks more common among those you'd think are more experienced, such as clubs and groups, and less common among children, whose experience must be fairly limited simply by their age.
And you don't think kids crash:whistle:, lets just say using my own experience, mine have crashed as many times as me, but with a much lower mileage.

mjr

Are you suggesting I shouldn't wear one to maintain free choice?
I suggest that you shouldn't wear one, because I want to maintain free choice (as well as me believing it would be better for you on balance in the long term) - which is different from suggesting that maintaining free choice is directly a reason for you not to wear one.

I suggest that you shouldn't wear one, because I want to maintain free choice (as well as me believing it would be better for you on balance in the long term) - which is different from suggesting that maintaining free choice is directly a reason for you not to wear one.
Ah, restrict my choice to maintain your choice. Nope.

Top Bottom