The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Does he wear a helmet when skiing? I found some interesting stats about helmet wearing & mortality whilst skiing & guess what, the proportion of people dying whilst skiing is about the same as the helmet wearing proportion!
I believe so. He has also injured himself twice while skiing in the four or so years he's worked for me - once resulting in a month out of the office. You can imagine my reaction....

Somewhere on here (I don't think it's in this thread) there are some sums I did which reassured me that my gut instinct never to go (downhill) skiing because it's stupidly dangerous was the right one.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have to agree - I love mountains and snow... but I have never seen the attraction of strapping two bits of wood/fibreglass/carbon to my feet and throwing myself down the side of the mountain.
It's a very easy way to cover some ground as long as you can keep it in control... but that doesn't seem to be the attraction for most of its practitioners so I'm not sure I really understand it like a fan either :smile:

swansonj

Guru
"Cycling is safe"
"Nuclear power is safe"
"Eating British beef is safe"

There are senses in which all of those are true and senses in which they are not. But if one is interested in effective risk communication, one probably recognises the extent to which assorted official pronouncements from official bodies have largely destroyed the credibility of that formalism, and one avoids it in favour of more contextualised formalisms. E.g. "Cycling is safer than not cycling" as suggested above. Telling people "X is safe" just doesn't work.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How did it occur that, on a society wide level, we have a belief that cycling is a dangerous activity, to an extent that is out of all proportion to the actual level of danger?
If anyone has not seen it before, Dave Horton's Fear of Cycling series is worth reading. There's a copy starting at http://www.copenhagenize.com/2009/09/fear-of-cycling-01-essay-in-five-parts.html

"Motoring organisations such as the Automobile Association and the Royal Automobile Club argued that children should be taught to keep out of the car’s way, and road safety education was born, as an alternative to preserving streets for people ... campaigns to promote the wearing of cycle helmets effectively construct cycling as a dangerous practice about which to be fearful. ... Helmet promotion, especially to children, has become an established part of the UK road safety industry. In 2005, Lancashire County Council’s road safety team ran a ‘Saint or Sinner?’ tour, with anyone cycling without a helmet deemed sinful; sinners were given the opportunity to repent by pledging to ‘mend their ways’, and always wear a helmet when cycling"

"In the meantime, what can be done to allay people's fears of cycling? Although it is constantly produced and reproduced, fear of neither cycling nor the cyclist is inevitable. Both the conditions for cycling practice and representations of the cyclist can change and be changed, and thereby produce different effects. Many people who cycle today - racing cyclists, touring cyclists, cycle campaigners, bike messengers - belong to cycling cultures which produce and reproduce positive experiences and representations of cycling. These people may be aware of constructions of cycling as something to be feared, and of the cyclist as deviant and strange, but such negative representations are easily exceeded by the celebratory and confirmatory evaluations of cycling and the cyclist continually flowing through their specific cultural worlds."

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
How did it occur that, on a society wide level, we have a belief that cycling is a dangerous activity, to an extent that is out of all proportion to the actual level of danger?

Because from an early age, and ever since it was invented, we have been taught to be fearful and subservient to the Great Motor Car. We are taught that whenever something bad happens to us involving the Great Motor Car, we are to blame. The sense of danger afflicting normal, safe activities is so imprinted on our minds that we are made to feel afraid at the thought of being anywhere but inside the Great Motor Car.

UK victim-blaming propaganda:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0c75VKvcsY&feature=youtu.be

US victim-blaming propaganda: https://www.phoenix.gov/streetssite/Pages/Graphic-Novels.aspx

bicycle safety terrorism.jpg

GC

martint235

Dog on a bike
I am afraid it's bad news about Tufty
View attachment 129615
Noooooo ..,
Yummmmm. Lunch. Well a starter at lunchtime anyway

Blimey people must be waiting in the wings to pounce!

The fact is cycling is safe as a generalisation is fine, but some forms carry more risk than others so context is often required

...and in the same vein, other activities carry more risk, yet are not required to wear helmets

IIRC the person at "greatest" risk of a head injury is a male in their 60's

Surely they should be wearing helmets?

Top Bottom